Urch Forums

2017 Application Sweat Thread

tm_member

drrtgcc: surprised you weren't admitted outright. Just goes to show how random admissions are.

Thanks! It has indeed been a pretty random process. Was a bit surprised though at how many schools are employing the strategy of deferring applications to their own MA degrees or even other MA programs (like Chicago with MAPSS)... It's a bit of a strange consolation prize haha.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

drrtgcc: surprised you weren't admitted outright. Just goes to show how random admissions are.

He has been accepted by Harvard, Princeton, and UWM, but received this weird decision from Brown.

Also we have someone who was accepted by Chicago but rejected by Brown.

I know the process is pretty noisy in general, but Brown seems to be especially weird this year.

westtonian: Thanks! I went to a top 10 LAC. I've been really happy with my results. I think there's been a general belief that going to a LAC is a significant disadvantage on applications, but I think that has been really overstated, at least for the top LACs.

Has anyone heard anything about the Columbia GSB Business Economics program? That's the last of my applications I haven't heard from or seen anything about on GC.

There are some "finance" interview on Gradcafe. It is the same program as econ at Columbia GSB. I know some people receive a WL without interview last year (mid-late march) so don't lose hope !

westtonian: Thanks! I went to a top 10 LAC. I've been really happy with my results. I think there's been a general belief that going to a LAC is a significant disadvantage on applications, but I think that has been really overstated, at least for the top LACs.

Haha congrats! Your must work hard and you deserve the good results!

Honestly, I don't know how the LACs are disadvantaged meme started. It seems like LACs are just as well represented if not more so than Ivies at top 10 econ programs.

Haha I agree. It seems like students from top LACs do just as well as people from top universities. I guess their only disadvantage would be that they can't take graduate level classes sometimes because most LACs do not have graduate programs.

Can anyone weigh in on the Brown MA offer? I guess it is not a full acceptance but is the chance of being admitted after expressing interest there high? Not sure how confident to feel from this email.

Seems like yield is probably pretty low for this MA program, so they're trying to narrow down pool of interested candidates before making their decision. I'm still stuck in limbo on the other hand. Really not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing at this point...

@okc: There has been a few admits on gradcafe in late February and early March

Can anyone confirm the UCSB post on grad cafe?

Can also confirm UCSB post. I am a bit concerned with their stipend offer though. Santa Barbara is not a cheap place to live.