Urch Forums

2017 Application Sweat Thread

tm_member

For the people who is looking for RA to prepare next round or after PhD application, I highly recommend you to check Federal Reserve Bank's research assistant positions. Because the experiences there would be strong advantages for application. Although most of RA at universities in the US are closed, I heard some of the regional fed just restarted after certain length of hiring freeze.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, I just want to reaffirm how important it is to have at least Multivariable, Linear algebra, and real analysis as an absolute minimum. I just got accepted at my dream program off the waitlist, and they told me the only reason I was ever on the WL to begin with was my lack of math classes. Make sure you do yourself the favor of taking those classes if possible, and you'll probably see a huge bump in your acceptances!

I got my long waited UMichigan rejection... I am still waiting for Michigan State... I am not sure whats going on with them... It is my second time applying.. and ended up with unfunded offer at Rutgers... will decline and apply next year! It feels it is almost impossible to get into the top 25 schools with a GPA less than 3.5 ! I have a 3.4 Masters GPA from a top 5 US School, and masters are looked down upon although it is all math and stats classes ! I also have research experience but i dont think they check your application if you don't make the GPA cut off ... i should have taken easier classes and aimed at a 3.7 to get better offers rather than taking math/stats and ending up with Bs ! ! that is my takeaway !