Urch Forums

2017 Application Sweat Thread

tm_member

Anyone have movement on any waitlists to report? I'm WL at Cornell, Penn, and Wharton Applied Econ, and would choose any of them over my current top choice (Minnesota, maybe Wisconsin). I know most of this action will probably start after visit days...

When will you decide between Wisconsin and Minnesota?

Probably by the same time someone will choose between Penn and another offer. I think we will only see real action april 10 onwards, there are lots of people deciding between 2 or 3 offers while waiting for a better offer in a waitlist...

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thanks for the update. I guess I'll just sit on my hands until they respond, or have people had success reaching out to the department in these situations? It could be one of those rejected from PhD but accepted to Masters deals or something.

Might not hurt to reach out to them! I am surprised the rejection emails weren't sent in a batch and that there are no other posts on grad cafe besides the one. The email was short and not personalized and it came from the graduate school rather than the department itself.

Might not hurt to reach out to them! I am surprised the rejection emails weren't sent in a batch and that there are no other posts on grad cafe besides the one. The email was short and not personalized and it came from the graduate school rather than the department itself.

Yeah, I'll probably do this. I was going to do this soon anyways. I was looking on their website and they say to send all application questions to the arts and sciences school. Is that who sent you the rejection email or was it a grad econ coordinator?

Yup, I heard from the graduate school of arts and sciences. Although I think it was an automated email as its from a do not reply email address. You might try reaching the department directly though, I found this on the website: Andrew Campolieto, PhD Program Administrator, at 617-353-4454 or acamp@bu.edu

Yeah, I'll probably do this. I was going to do this soon anyways. I was looking on their website and they say to send all application questions to the arts and sciences school. Is that who sent you the rejection email or was it a grad econ coordinator?

Would you please also let me know after you hear from Andrew Campolieto? I also applied to BU but still have not heard anything from them.

I've been told that BU has the habit of sending rejection letters three times (sometimes to the same people), so maybe I'll receive it eventually haha.

Can anyone confirm the waitlist/rejection on Gradcafe for Boston U?

I can confirm the WL. I am the one who posted on GC. Has anyone else received the WL decision? Does anyone know if BU has admitted anyone from the waiting list in the past years? There's only few posts about BU WLs in the past.

Are you waitlisted at Maryland? I haven't heard anything from them, but I have a friend who was already rejected. I'm confused about my situation, because they already sent priority waitlists, regular waitlists and rejections.

I am not sure why Maryland and UMichigan aren't sending their rejections yet ? they are the only two schools which I haven't heard back from them. I want to finalize this awful season tbqh !

I am not sure why Maryland and UMichigan aren't sending their rejections yet ? they are the only two schools which I haven't heard back from them. I want to finalize this awful season tbqh !

With regards to Maryland, I emailed a couple of weeks back and was informed that they "tend not to make it through the whole waitlist." I wasn't rejected, nor have I heard about a waitlist at all since then. Not sure what's really going on, other than that they're taking their sweet *** time.

I also haven't heard from Michigan and UNC. I had my applications pretty much finished late November... tired of the waiting + false hope.

Has anyone heard anything about funding from FSU? It is literally my only acceptance so far, and i'm not even sure if i'm getting funding.

Anyone have movement on any waitlists to report? I'm WL at Cornell, Penn, and Wharton Applied Econ, and would choose any of them over my current top choice (Minnesota, maybe Wisconsin). I know most of this action will probably start after visit days...

Someone​ on gradcafe got accepted off the waitlist at Cornell. Is that you??

Hi all.

I'm a new member of this forum. Sorry if I'm not doing it in the right way.

I completed my masters in economics from an US university with CGPA 3.53. Now I'm doing a masters in math. Unfortunately, in my first semester I got C+ in real analysis.

So I have the following queries:

1. should I repeat this course to improve the grade?

2. how this "C+" might affect my admission in Economics PhD programs?

For your kind information, probably I'm not applying in top 30.

Thank you so much for your time and suggestions!

If I have already received offers to PhD programs, do my spring semester grades still matter?

I just feel like taking a break from school before I start my PhD but I am worried about having my offer rescinded.

Is it possible for schools to take back the offer if my spring semester grades don't turn out well or do I only need to graduate?

i am not sure why is it taking forever for U Michigan and Maryland to send their rejections !!

I spoke to someone in the Admissions Office late last week, and they said that they were still "going through the review process" and didn't have a set waitlist. She also mentioned that I should expect to hear back in early April (i.e. next week). I guess that's all fairly banal, but thought I'd mention it in case helpful.

If I have already received offers to PhD programs, do my spring semester grades still matter?

I just feel like taking a break from school before I start my PhD but I am worried about having my offer rescinded.

Is it possible for schools to take back the offer if my spring semester grades don't turn out well or do I only need to graduate?

Normally you receive an official letter from the graduate school which includes admission conditions to clear. This is not the same letter as the first acceptance letter you've received. It usually says that if you don't meet these conditions, the department could take back the offer. However, unless you absolutely fail everything, I doubt that they really would. What is more likely if you don't meet the conditions is that they put you on academic probation. But verify that with the school in question.