Urch Forums

2019 PhD Applicant Sweat Thread

tm_associate

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NYU Stern Management sent out acceptances, rejections, and waitlist notifications. Congrats to those who were accepted!!

Did you see the notifications on the applyyourself site? I was not able to see any messages from them... maybe there's some delay

Any news from OB group at INSEAD, Harvard, and NYU? Not sure if I should just give up hoping for an offer from them...:cower:

INSEAD likes to send rejections in April.. If you have not heard from them by now, the chance is slim.

General question: At this point, will you guys accept your offer or will you still be waiting on schools that put you on the waitlist?

Never got an interview and also rejected from all schools that I applied, except the one that waitlisted me haha. So will wait forever :crushed:

Just curious, when do ppl usually accept their offer/ finalize decision? Wondering when the waitlist movements usually start - I am waiting to hear back from the schools, and it seems that the first round offer are not accepted/declined, and it also seems I have a good chance of receiving the offer should any of those first round offers is declined.

I got mixed news from a top 40 (according to the UTD research ranking). They want me to join the PhD program in OB BUT they can't seem to find another strong candidate they also like to join this department. They don't want me to join alone. I'm a little surprised. What can I say to convince them that I am happy to work alone? Does this happen often?

I got mixed news from a top 40 (according to the UTD research ranking). They want me to join the PhD program in OB BUT they can't seem to find another strong candidate they also like to join this department. They don't want me to join alone. I'm a little surprised. What can I say to convince them that I am happy to work alone? Does this happen often?

It's more from experience than a knock against you. A single person cohort is a bit lonely, and regardless of your own situation, social support is pretty important to survive grad school. The program has probably seen single person cohorts in the past, and more than once it probably hasn't worked out well.

Thanks for the response. I really want to go to this school and I am used to working with limited supervision for long durations in my research career. Is there a point of asking if I can join alone? They have had singletons in the past who managed to complete their degrees

It's more from experience than a knock against you. A single person cohort is a bit lonely, and regardless of your own situation, social support is pretty important to survive grad school. The program has probably seen single person cohorts in the past, and more than once it probably hasn't worked out well.

Is it your only offer or by far the best one?

It doesn't hurt to tell them that you really want to go there -- even if you are the only student for the cohort. If you don't ask, it sounds like you won't be admitted, so I don't see a downside.

Thanks for the response. I really want to go to this school and I am used to working with limited supervision for long durations in my research career. Is there a point of asking if I can join alone? They have had singletons in the past who managed to complete their degrees

• 7 months later...