Urch Forums

Fall 2020 PhD start - PhD Applicant Sweat Thread

instajar

Monday I received an unexpected call from Stern Finance. They asked me just 2 general questions about my current offers & locational preferences. However, I need to be honest though, I did not understand whether they said that there will be a follow up interview or the next step will simply be making offers. The professor said something along the lines of flying over prospective students to NYC but I did not understand whether it would be for an interview or just as a visit day.

As anyone had the same thing happening to them? Sorry my phone service was very bad...

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Has anyone heard from the following Information systems programs or is aware when can one expect to hear from them?

1) Florida State University

2) Arizona State University

3) Purdue University

4) University of Illinois at Chicago

5) Penn State University

6) University of Cincinnati

7) UMass Amherst

Thanks

Monday I received an unexpected call from Stern Finance. They asked me just 2 general questions about my current offers & locational preferences. However, I need to be honest though, I did not understand whether they said that there will be a follow up interview or the next step will simply be making offers. The professor said something along the lines of flying over prospective students to NYC but I did not understand whether it would be for an interview or just as a visit day.

As anyone had the same thing happening to them? Sorry my phone service was very bad...

I know one person who received the fly-out for a different domain (Not Finance). As far as I remember the person mentioned about the interview. A fly-out definitely means you are at the top of their list and have an excellent shot at the offer. Congratulations.

Does anyone know how many candidates do schools like OSU/UIUC/Michigan normally put on their waitlists for Finance PhD. If they take 3/year, do they put like 20-30 candidates on wishlist or just around 4-5 something. I am trying to gauge my chance of getting in from those waitlists. Thank you

Does anyone know how many candidates do schools like OSU/UIUC/Michigan normally put on their waitlists for Finance PhD. If they take 3/year, do they put like 20-30 candidates on wishlist or just around 4-5 something. I am trying to gauge my chance of getting in from those waitlists. Thank you

I think it really varies by program. Higher ranked programs will have shorter waitlists. I would guess t10 programs will put maximum 5 but lower ranked programs will have longer. But, I am only guessing and if you have an outstanding offer, i suggest talking to the schools youre waitlisted about your chances and decision timeline.

got rejected from all my PhD schools (well still a few pending but most likely rejections will only arrive in April which is what those schools always do).

Decided to do a Social Science master (& spend another 40k+ tuition) before applying again in two years time.

Congrats to those who got accepted!

Good luck to those who still have a chance of acceptance! All the best!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

Want your opinion on University of Pittsburgh's marketing program...Its marketing research ranking (Top 20, across years) is very good according to UTD 100, but its overall research ranking is not really the same. The other option I have is a better ranked school (for MBA and overall research, but not so well ranked for marketing research)....The research fit and flexibility is great at both the programs, also the placements have been kind of similar at both places

Please help this confused person!

Hey everyone!

Want your opinion on University of Pittsburgh's marketing program...Its marketing research ranking (Top 20, across years) is very good according to UTD 100, but its overall research ranking is not really the same. The other option I have is a better ranked school (for MBA and overall research, but not so well ranked for marketing research)....The research fit and flexibility is great at both the programs, also the placements have been kind of similar at both places

Please help this confused person!

I didn't even take MBA and overall rankings into consideration when I was applying for a marketing PhD, I don't see the point of doing that. Even the marketing ranking is still too broad, but we don't have something more specific than it.

For a PhD, I think we need to be very specific to make a judgement like that. For example, who is expected to be your advisor? A school may be top 50, but your advisor be top 10 in your topic of interest. On the other hand, a school may be top 20, but your advisor be useless.

So, often my opinions are more based on people than on the school. And Pittsburgh has some faculty that look amazing to me, like Venkatesh and Swaminathan.

Hi everyone. So far, I applied to eleven PhD programs at ten schools for fall 2020 spanning OB/HR, Industrial/Organizational Psychology and Management. Both undergraduate and graduate GPAs are above 3.5, and GRE scores are 80th percentile for writing, 64th percentile for quantitative, and 54th percentile for verbal. I was waitlisted to one program so far (rejected due to 4/15 deadline). Looking to still begin a fully funded program in fall 2020 that has a track record of graduating assistant professors at R1 and R2 institutions. Advice would be appreciated on pre-doctoral opportunities and programs that I can look into. Feel free to DM me if more appropriate: thank you!