Urch Forums

Fall 2020 PhD start - PhD Applicant Sweat Thread

instajar

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay... I presume top micro-OB programs have started on-campus round of interviews???... (saw someone's tweet... who is for sure gonna get a bunch of good offers)

I guess no interviews means ... well whatever ...

Good luck to those who received on-campus interviews!!

Edited by tad2020

Okay... I presume top micro-OB programs have started on-campus round of interviews???... (saw someone's tweet... who is for sure gonna get a bunch of good offers)

I guess no interviews means ... well whatever ...

Good luck to those who received on-campus interviews!!

What tweet? They have started, yes, but I'd guess only 1/3 of schools have sent out invites yet. A lot will happen in February. You can look at Grad Cafe to see when specific programs are sending invites.

What tweet? They have started, yes, but I'd guess only 1/3 of schools have sent out invites yet. A lot will happen in February. You can look at Grad Cafe to see when specific programs are sending invites.

I followed someone on Twitter who is quite famous/popular/"well-known" among the profs/phds/pre-docs.. but I wont say who coz I guess this is a pretty small circle...

I had an interview earlier this week... the invite sent out at 5pm-ish, confirmed my interview timeslot at 8pm-ish & had my interview on the following day at 5pm-ish.... almost no time to prepare at all.... is it the usual interview scheduling?

Saw someone already posted the same school's interview invite on gradcafe. I will add mine later as a reference.

I followed someone on Twitter who is quite famous/popular/"well-known" among the profs/phds/pre-docs.. but I wont say who coz I guess this is a pretty small circle...

Interesting. I considered tweeting about my progress, but figured it'd be too tacky if any faculty saw, so I was just curious how they were going about it.

I had an interview earlier this week... the invite sent out at 5pm-ish, confirmed my interview timeslot at 8pm-ish & had my interview on the following day at 5pm-ish.... almost no time to prepare at all.... is it the usual interview scheduling?

That sounds like on the fast end. Mine have been from 2 days to a week in advance, but the faculty usually gave me a week of dates to choose from.

I wouldn't say it's usual, but it can happen. When I was applying, I got one on the same day. Email from professor in the morning, interview in the afternoon.

@instajar & @BrazilianPhD Thanks for the reply!

btw...

Some OB program updates that I have heard of:

1. truly top-top Management (micro-OB) has given out offers. (the one that gave out rejection letters last week. If you did not receive rejection letter last friday but have yet to receive calls, it probably is gonna be a relatively good news??)

2. another truly top-top Micro-OB program are in the process of final round of interviews. Since this school said explicitly that all accepted students must receive interviews during their webcast info session, if you did not receive any interview, I guess... well... I just hate that... why cant they just give out straight rejection from the beginning and only keep those advancing to the next round.

3. an top European school has given out interviews

Just had an interview with Boston University (Quant marketing). Was a disaster!

Sorry to hear that. What went wrong? FYI, a lot of people think they tanked interviews that actually went fine :) Faculty are rarely as critical towards you as you are towards yourself.

@instajar & @BrazilianPhD Thanks for the reply!

btw...

Some OB program updates that I have heard of:

1. truly top-top Management (micro-OB) has given out offers. (the one that gave out rejection letters last week. If you did not receive rejection letter last friday but have yet to receive calls, it probably is gonna be a relatively good news??)

2. another truly top-top Micro-OB program are in the process of final round of interviews. Since this school said explicitly that all accepted students must receive interviews during their webcast info session, if you did not receive any interview, I guess... well... I just hate that... why cant they just give out straight rejection from the beginning and only keep those advancing to the next round.

3. an top European school has given out interviews

To the first school you mentioned, I believe I’m in that group. I have not received an interview request but wasn’t rejected in the slate of notices that went out last week. Any sense of what that means?

To the first school you mentioned, I believe I’m in that group. I have not received an interview request but wasn’t rejected in the slate of notices that went out last week. Any sense of what that means?

if you are referring to W School's micro-OB, the interview invites were sent out mid-Jan & look out for phone calls from Philly. If you did not receive interview invite but did not receive email to check decision, did you check on your application portal as well (if rejected, the letter is in your app portal)? If not, I guess it might still be a good chance that you are not really rejected (& maybe still in their consideration)...