Urch Forums

790 GMAT (q50, v51)

[w00t] [w00t] [w00t] [w00t]

Needless to say, I am absolutely thrilled right now. I want to say thank you to Erin, SecurityGeek, Lego, Grey, Stormgal, Cute, Prep2Max, Armjen, and everyone on this forum!!

Also, I want to say thank you to former members such as Shaq, Spiderman, Ursula, and TheBullFighter, who were very active when I first came across this amazing site and who got me started along the right path:tup:. I have A LOT to say, so stay tuned:).

i am a new member in this forum, i learned the gmat test and i tried to do some field in this test. I must say the congratulation on your result in this test.

you are absolutely excellent. i want you to share with me your exprience in this test

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratualtions twinsplitter! Ur briefing was truely inspriring. I have a question! Is it a good idea to attempt the PP tests more than once? My target is 700+..i hv finished half [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip]..should i give the PP tests now..and give it once again when i am done with [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip]...

Also..these PP tests are adaptive..so each time i give the test..the questions would be different!

Suggestions are welcome...

congrats on your amazing score. its a real inspiration to all of us aspiring mbas.

just want to ask a quick question. How did you find out about the Testmaster's material on CR strategy? I'm also looking up the LSAT as a means of improving CRs as I'm starting to find the strategies given by PR and Kaplan probably not too sufficient in cracking CRs and RCs...

Thanks everyone again for your kind words. I'm really glad my posts helped everyone, although I'll never be able to fully pay back TestMagic for helping me achieve such a great score (one note I forgot to mention in my debriefing--this is the only forum I used, except for when people would link to other forums for some resources :) ).

should i give the PP tests now..and give it once again when i am done with [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip]...

Honestly, I believe that it depends on how you've been going through the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip]. As long as you haven't been memorizing the answers, I think that doing the PowerPreps more than once will still remain an accurate predictor of your scores. The only type of questions which I feel you could possibly remember the answers for without actually memorizing them are DS and CR. However, I still do believe it's best to use powerprep (even if you've taken it already) as you near the test for two reasons: 1) a confidence boost, which is extremely important to your test day mentality, and 2) gets you used to the screen setup, which is EXACTLY the same as that on the real GMAT.

If I ever drop by Chicago, I'll look you up

Sounds good!

How did you find out about the Testmaster's material on CR strategy?

Unfortunately they don't really have printed material with their strategies on it, they just teach it in class. I forgot to mention that I took the TestMasters class for the LSAT. However, after that I realized that the only thing the class was helpful for was the logic games on the LSAT (which aren't on the GMAT), and so I decided not to take a class for the GMAT. For CR, basically the only advantage of that class was that they gave you real LSAT CR (or as the LSAT refers to these questions, logical reasoning) questions to practice on, rather than the poorly written Kaplan and PR ones.

Which brings me to an important point I forgot in my debriefing:

Don't use Kaplan and PR's logical reasoning questions. What is considered a correct answer to them would often be considered an incorrect answer on the GMAT, which will then really screw with your ability to know what type of answers the real GMAT looks for. LSAC and GMAC put a lot more time into researching their questions, and there are more than enough real LSAT and GMAT questions out there to practice on.

Cheers everyone and keep the questions coming!

One thing I just remembered about the test:

I got an extremely strange SC, in which it used semi-colons, even though each part seperated by the semi-colons could not stand on its own as an independent sentence. However, none of the answer choices fixed this, so I just went with the choice that best maintained parrallelism within this warped use of semi-colons.

Erin, any ideas as to when it is alright to use semi-colons even though the seperate parts cannot stand on their own? I've seen it done this way in real-life, but I thought that on the GMAT it is always incorrect to use semi-colons when the components aren't complete sentences in themselves.

Erin, any ideas as to when it is alright to use semi-colons even though the separate parts cannot stand on their own? I've seen it done this way in real-life, but I thought that on the GMAT it is always incorrect to use semi-colons when the components aren't complete sentences in themselves.
I've seen one type of sentence on the TOEFL that doesn't have a verb and can stand alone, something like this:

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravity.

But other than that, I'd need more clues to know what it could be. Do you recall anything of the structure? Did it have a subject and verb? A subordinating conjunction (although, if, because, etc.)?

it was more along the lines of a list.

For example, the correct answer was something along the lines of:

The car dealership had Chevy, Ford, and Dodge trucks; Ferrari, Aston Martin, and Lamborghini sports cars; and BMW, Mercedes, and Bentley luxury cars.

An incorrect answer had something along the lines of:

The car dealership had Chevy, Ford, and Dodge trucks; cars considered sporty such as Ferrari, Aston Martin, and Lamborghini; and luxurious cars including BMW, Mercedes, and Bentley.

I chose the first type b/c of parallelism.

Good choice (you must be a natural test-taker). ;)

We can swap in a semicolon in place of a comma to ease readability. For example, if you're going shopping, I can ask you to pick up:

some cucumbers, a head of lettuce, and a few ripe tomatoes (a, b, and c)

Notice the commas. If, however, my list is more complicated, and has commas separating each internal element, I can use semicolons in place of commas. Again, if you're going to the store, I can ask you to pick me up:

some ripe, unwaxed cucumbers and a head or two of butter lettuce; some extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette, and some fresh herbs; and some Fritos, Doritos, and Cheetos, just so you don't think I'm a food snob.

(a1, a2, and a3; b1, b2, and b3; and c1, c2, and c3.)

So if an item in the series has commas inside it, use a semicolon to separate the items in the series.

Good to know this could show up on the GMAT, eh? :)

Looking forward to hear your experience.

i want you to share with me your exprience in this test

plz Give Some Tips To Other Members Of This Forum To Get Close To 790

Are there any questions in particular that you guys had that I didn't answer in my test experience and prep strategy posts? If so, let me know, I'm here to help:)

Twinn..thanks a ton for the help in finding stuff for parabola..need one more help form u ..am not fully satisfied with my grasp on CR ..can u reccomend any study material for approaching the Cr probs in LSAT or any book ( other than the one you hv reccomended for addition practice questions)..

thanks in anticipation

hi Priyadarshi,

unfortunately, I haven't really used any strategy guides to prep for CR and thus wouldn't really know which one to recommend...I found that my grasp on CR increased drastically simply through practice. Between January 1st and February 12, I did approximately 1200 CR questions, and I went from being about average on them to getting to the point where I would expect to never get a CR wrong unless I misread the question. You simply learn what kind of answer they expect as you do more and more. In other words, my main piece of advice is to practice!

Sorry I couldn't refer you to any specific CR strategy guide:hmm:, but hopefully that helps.

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been as active lately, finals are coming up and so I've had to start buckling down for school. Just wanted to let you all know that I just got my official score report back, and the scores/breakups are exactly as they were on the unofficial report, which was a big relief after this post scared the hell out of me. Also, I got my AWA score, and it was a 6.0 :D, which made me really happy considering I didn't spend any time editing the essay and thus thought that I wouldn't get a good score as a result of the grammatical errors which were undoubtedly present in the essay. One reason that I believe I did well is because

My school has some of the most stringent general education requirements in the country, with 8 of the required courses being based solely on writing essays.

but also, I think that my strategy of thinking up some big words and flexible real world examples helped me greatly. I didn't do any practice for the AWA portion of the test, but this was because I have written several essays over the past couple years. And, this probably wasn't a good idea for me since I did poorly on timing (as I said earlier, I was still editing with a few seconds remaining, without being able to do a thorough edit). So if you're a bit rusty (or even if you're not), it's probably a good idea to write just one practice essay for the analysis of an issue and one practice one for analysis of an argument (any more than that and you're wasting valuable prep time which could be spent elsewhere, in my humble opinion). Other than that, to see my strategy/experience on AWA, check out some of my posts earlier in this thread.

If you have any more questions, I'm right here:)