Urch Forums

790 GMAT (q50, v51)

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey purplebex, looks like you've got all the resources covered, if you want some extra practice for CR and RC then check out the "Next 10 real LSATs" book that I linked to. The AWA book I linked to was the Arco real essays book, but honestly I wouldn't worry about AWA, it's worth nothing at most schools. Good luck, let me know if you have any more questions.

Hey twinsplitter (and all),

Congratulations! You are just incredible.

I will take GMAT in early Aug and I am looking for advice on CR and RC. My current level is something around 650 (Q51, V30). My SC is something around 70%, while the RC and CR scores only 50%. Pretty aweful! (as English is my third language) Anyway, I would like to improve the verbal part to V35. Here're are some details of my verbal:

RC: As my overall verbal score is 'pity' low, I opt for accuracy in the first 20Q. In other words, I will focus on the first 2 RC and mostly likely will give up the 4th one (wild guess). My key problem is the reading speed......Any advice to push the score of this part?

CR: This is where I wanted to improve the most. I saw a lot of your posts and realized that your 'tip' is practice. You have done something like 1200 CR Questions. I would like to know where can you find so many CR Qs? I have only the PR and OG with me (300-400Qs only). Please kindly advise.

SC: I score 70% in the SC section and I will read through spidey's note during this weekend. See if there is any improvement after that.

BTW, I am not really familiar with this forum and I am really appreciated if you can suggest which messages I must read in this forum, especially for the verbal part.

Thank you in advance and have a lovely summer in Chicago!

:p

Hansen

Hansen,

Unfortunately I am of the opinion that it is quite difficult to improve your reading speed in RC, as I believe that this is something you acquire at a much younger age. Thus, the advice I have for dealing with time issues in RC is to work on your timing for CR and SC (since those are much easier to improve timing on), so that on the test you won't spend much time on CR and SC and will thus have a lot of time left over for RC.

As far as sources of CR questions, check out the "Next 10 Real LSAT" book that I linked to on page 4 of this thread (can also be found by going to lsac.org). But don't let the difficulty level of the LSAT questions get you down, b/c they're more difficult than those on the GMAT.

As far as posts you should check out, I'd say look up the debriefings of several high scorers (Ursula, GreyCellz, Spiderman, Alakshma, etc.) and pick up bits and pieces from their strategies.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for this TwinnSplitter - the detail and all the resources are very much appreciated. I have taken the test already - score a 640 only but had I prepped following a more structured pattern - as you outline - with the help of so many more resources available on this site, I am sure I would've done better. But, I am prepping again and I'm glad someone pointed me to your log.

Good luck with everything !!

PS: I echo Alakshma's thoughts..

This is by far one of the best post on the site. Thanks for all the insight and the links. I am sure I will be using them in the next few weeks before I take my GMAT on Aug 15. Thanks Thanks and Thanks again.

Love

Vik

Yes, this is the best post I have ever read. You are amazing. You should perhaps take-up a venture of writing your GMAT book.

I do want your suggestion on statistics. Can you please suggest a resource for me to practice some good questions on mean, median, standard deviation on DS and PS format. Although I understand the concepts of mean, median and sd, I always get stumped by these questions, especially when I see them in the DS format.

Also, how useful would the RC and CR Manhattan material be?

I have a feeling that I am still average, when I practise questions on "Next 10 LSAT" book.

Thanks much in advance.

Honestly, the only practice I got for stat stuff was 1) the questions in OG and Kaplan, and 2) the statistics questions posted on this site. Also, I had a lot of practice from my statistics class, so I didn't prepare for stats as much as most people.

To find the stat questions, just search for certain terms within the math forum. For example, if you want standard deviation questions, search the term "standard" and you should find a lot of them.

I don't have experience with the Manhattan CR and RC material, so I'm not sure of its quality...but from what I've heard about it, it's not good. Plus, in my opinion (although I'm sure there's others for whom this isn't true) the main way you get better at CR and RC is by practice. They're not like SC, where you have to memorize rules or anything, so just do the OG questions, read the explanations, and do LSAT questions if you really want to challenge yourself.

Finally, don't let the LSAT book make you feel as though you are "still average" at CR, since LSAT questions are far more difficult than GMAT questions. Same goes for the LSAT RC's.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Hello Twinn

Awesome score and one of the best and defintely the most comprehensive post! I was curious - how closely does the LSAT "reasoning" or solutions parallel the GMAT reasoning? On one of the posts, you had mentioned that the logical reasoning used in PR and Kaplan are slightly different from GMAC and this could potentially screw up one's performance in GMAT CRs. Wouldn't the same apply if one used LSAT as well?

Thanks

congrats dude!!!

If u can give some pointers to crack the verbal then it wud b of gr8 help to all of us...

I have scheduled my exam for 4th aug...

so just 2 weeks of time is left..:(

Cheers

Arun

hi twinn

i am new to this forum infact i got to know about this yesterday from one of my friend and from yesterday i am on this forum trying to find different questions.

an hour ago i read everythinng about u,your gmat experience and the way you prepared. i mean thats awesome.its lot of help

i gave my gmat exam on 6 may and i ended up getting 500 which was shock for me.because i studied day and night .i expected my score atleast above 650.

i did OG 4 times,kaplan800 three times, i mean i did all the books so many times that i remembered their answers

Now my exam is in 4 august,this time i started my preparation 3 weaks before the exam bcoz i just had to revise. i feel i messed my last exam bcoz of nervousness. but now from this site i can see a lot of material but i feel i dont have time ,today its 22nd so 10 days more and i have to revise kaplan,kaplan 800 and so paper based gmat tests.

what i want to ask is that i am unable to improve sentence correction it always come out to be 50%, rest all is good, i m very comfortable with CR,RC,PS,DS. the book you mentioned, do u think i should start doing it .i mean do i have enough time. and please advice me that should i more concentrate on revising or practicing new questions from this forum.

please help me out as i m really confused

irach- the reasoning in LSATs is quite similar to the reasoning on the GMAT. If anything, the LSATs are better reasoned, meaning that they will make your logic even sharper so that you're sure not to make any assumptions. However, this also means that you'll have to spend some time getting used to the GMAT's (only slightly) more poorly thought out logic, which is why I suggest doing the LSATs for a while but using the GMAT as the exam nears.

shilpadhawan84- you seem like you're on track to improve that score. I definitely think you should get a copy of the Manhattan GMAT guide, it's an easy read and doesn't take too long. Also, my friend didn't read it until the morning of the test and it still got his verbal 4 points higher than it was on any of his practice tests. So go for it, but get it delivered ASAP so that you have some time to let the concepts sink in.

• Like 1

Hi TwinnSplitter,

Your score is very impressive. But I am even more impressed with your description of how you prepared for the test and the comprehensive list of resources that you put at a single place. Thank you so much. I am new to this forum and I am planning to take the test in September. Good luck with your future endeavors.

--Jet