Urch Forums

Gre Scores Required By Schools

italos

PRINCETON

"The GRE General Test is required and we do not hold minimum score requirements"

I just asked a friend who finished his PhD two year ago at Princeton.He actually called Faruk Gul who Chairs the admission committee and he was told that Princeton doesn't care about verbal!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can slap hands on that friend of yours again... could you kindly clear up this v vague statement reactor mentioned about a Princeton ad com advocating UPF MSc and LSE 2 yr MSc (which?)... thank you...

Yes I remember that...I ll try to ask him again

I 've spoken today to a Georgetown professor(PhD MIT) very well known and on GRE he said that verbal is important mostly for foreigners.A low verbal score will make AdComs to think that the applicant cannot communicate effectively in English .It doesn't have to be a stellar score but a 450+ on verbal will be good.Even though in this case they will care a little bit more on TOEFL scores rather GRE verbal.More is discounted for native English language speakers or for people have obtained a degree from an English language speaking country.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

can someone give some advice???

I retook the GRE, but exited all sections except the quant part

I am not a native english speaker the first time i took my exam results were:

verbal: 480

quant:640

analytical: 5.0

the second time I exited all sections except quant

so quant: 750

did i just completely messed up???

please someone comment!

can someone give some advice???

I retook the GRE, but exited all sections except the quant part

I am not a native english speaker the first time i took my exam results were:

verbal: 480

quant:640

analytical: 5.0

the second time I exited all sections except quant

so quant: 750

did i just completely messed up???

please someone comment!

Why did you do that? You paid a lot of money to do the test, you might as well have given the full test a go.

I don't know how they'll react to that.

Italos, what program did he/she got into? am applying in health policy programs... there are so few in the States, that they're mostly top universities, but there's not a rank per se of programs themselves.

So, berkeley Health services admin, Yale health admin, harvard health policy, john hopkins, etc...

I emailed them and they said it is uncommon and they did not have a policy regarding this... IS THAT GOOD OR BAD??

I have a (terminal) masters in economics, and research experience, right now am finishing a masters in public health.....

what are my chances??

should I address it on my app?

I have an economics background. Econ major/math minor undergrad, masters in economics from top 20 U.S dept and currently M.P.H student (will be done by June 09)

I had been able to get away with not a really good GRE so far because I have research experience, so that's how i got into my econ masters and for the mph they did not asked for it since I had a grad degree already.

what do you think? any shot at top health policy schools?

• 2 years later...
I have a question. My verbal GRE score was a 440, and UCSD requires at least a 460. Should I not even bother to apply there? My quant was a 790.

My profile is here http://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/126233-my-profile-please-help-me-choose-schools.html

Thanks

Funny, I thought the deadline had already passed. Try contacting the department (rather than the graduate school) to see how they feel about it.

COLUMBIA:Econ Dep.

"The math section is extremely important. We expect a minimum of 730. Our average score on that section is around 780 (more in some years). The other two sections aren't given as much weight, but we do look at the verbal, especially for international students. We also look approvingly at high analytical writing scores."

I am not sure where you got that quote from but here is what they say in the FAQ:

"1. I am trying to decide whether or not to apply to Columbia. Would you be able to give me a idea of the minimum standards for admission? Most successful applicants to our program have analytic GRE scores above the 90th percentile."

Columbia University - Economics

I am not sure where you got that quote from but here is what they say in the FAQ:

"1. I am trying to decide whether or not to apply to Columbia. Would you be able to give me a idea of the minimum standards for admission? Most successful applicants to our program have analytic GRE scores above the 90th percentile."

Columbia University - Economics

Well 780 is 89 percentile this year. So they both seem about right

What do they really mean with "analytic"? Just Quant? Quant and AWA?

It's hard to say, I mean, in most contexts I would assume "analytic to mean AWA, but the 90th percentile for that is what, a 5.5 (I think my 5.5 in 2006 was a 94%)? I wouldn't be too worried about it, since they didn't make it sound like a hard threshold or anything, and I would guess they meant to say quant anyway.

It's hard to say, I mean, in most contexts I would assume "analytic to mean AWA, but the 90th percentile for that is what, a 5.5 (I think my 5.5 in 2006 was a 94%)? I wouldn't be too worried about it, since they didn't make it sound like a hard threshold or anything, and I would guess they meant to say quant anyway.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5946[/ATTACH]

You guys, srsly. You're talking about information that's out of date by two years. Hence the zombie cat.

(I'm so seriously, you guys. Super serial. No one listens to me, even though I'm super serial. In fact, I'm so serial, I'm cereal.)

• Like 1

[ATTACH=CONFIG](I'm so seriously, you guys. Super serial. No one listens to me, even though I'm super serial. In fact, I'm so serial, I'm cereal.)

Are you done exams that you're so happy, or is this convoluted pun a symptom of the near-nervous breakdown that still being in exams causes? (Not to be mean; if anything, this is a compliment because it subsumes that the usual quality of your puns is quite high. Also, I spent the morning drilling theorems on uniform continuity, so my brain's a little fried and can't tell sarcasm from seriousness any longer.)

Are you done exams that you're so happy, or is this convoluted pun a symptom of the near-nervous breakdown that still being in exams causes? (Not to be mean; if anything, this is a compliment because it subsumes that the usual quality of your puns is quite high. Also, I spent the morning drilling theorems on uniform continuity, so my brain's a little fried and can't tell sarcasm from seriousness any longer.)

Ah, neither. It's derived from some Cartman / Al Gore quotes from the ManBearPig episode. Just adding some humour to the post. Also, my last exam is quite far off, but the main stress on my mind is this Financial econometrics paper. I'm programming some ARFIMAX(p,d,q) in R, among other things. Super-phun-tyme.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5946[/ATTACH]

You guys, srsly. You're talking about information that's out of date by two years. Hence the zombie cat.

(I'm so seriously, you guys. Super serial. No one listens to me, even though I'm super serial. In fact, I'm so serial, I'm cereal.)

No, that information is still in the Columbia FAQ, I checked before I posted.