Urch Forums

"than him" or "than he"

jonnysunn

Hi,

besides adjective parallelism, would you choose "than he" or "than him":

The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes resentfully, that he was a small-town Midwesterner who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated. and more polished people than him.

1. who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him
  2. who had been thrust into a world dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
  3. who had been thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and people more polished than he was
  4. thrust into a world dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
  5. thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than he

thanks!

• 1 year later...

The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes resentfully, that he was a small-town Midwesterner who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated. and more polished people than him.

1. who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him
  2. who had been thrust into a world dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
  3. who had been thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and people more polished than he was
  4. thrust into a world dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him --pronoun in objective case is required, correct
  5. thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than he

I think these sentences should make things clear..

1) Alex is taller than I(am)....when subjects are compared, we use subjective case.

2) Alex loves Julia more than me (alex loves julia more than he loves me).

objects are compared so objective case pronouns

3) Alex loves Julia more than I (more than I love Julia)..

'They are taller than he' - very awkward

Maybe it's not what most people would say, but it's neither awkward not wrong.

correct - 'They are taller than him'

No. This is grammatically incorrect.

Many people seem to think that "than" is a preposition and therefore takes the object pronouns. In fact, "than" is a conjunction and the case of the pronoun depends on the context.

He likes football more than her. This sentence means that he likes football more than he likes her.

He likes football more than she. This sentence means that he likes football more than she likes football.

If the pronoun is being compared with a subject, the subject pronoun is required.

My brother is taller than I.

My sister is taller than he.

She is taller than we.

These sentences may sound wrong to the uneducated, but they are grammatically correct. Fortunately for many, this issue is not tested in GMAT Sentence Correction.

• 1 month later...

1. who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him -correct as it correctly uses him than he.

To decide between he &him.Here the sentence is in passive voice was dominted by ...........so we frame a question as was dominted by whom ??????? Hence the object case & hence it should be him.

1. who had been thrust into a world dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him-past perfect is not requirred here
  2. who had been thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and people more polished than he was-past perfect as well as he is incorrectly used
  3. thrust into a world dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him-more wealthy is wrong to use

4. thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than he-he is wrongly used here