760 (Q49, V46)

ursula

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad u passed so well.:D

Thanks 4 posting the details.:tup:

I'm trying to get the book list to start preparing but I do have 1 PR. The Kaplan 800 is supposed to tackle the hardest questions on the test.

1. Did u use it?
  2. Does it fulfil its promise?
  3. What helped overcome the hardest questions?

Cheers T

I'm so glad u passed so well.:D It gives us all hope

Thanks 4 posting the details.:tup:

I'm trying to get the book list to start preparing but I do have 1 PR. The Kaplan 800 is supposed to tackle the hardest questions on the test.

1. Did u use it?
  2. Does it fulfil its promise?
  3. What helped overcome the hardest questions?

Cheers T

reappeared for GMAT last week and was disheartened to see my score.

660 - Q-50 V-29

In my first attempt a month back I scored 660 (Q-48 and V-33) and AWA of

5.0. I guess my score was much below my capabilities. Partly because I took the

exam too seriously, could sleep only 3 hours, night before exam. Also during

Quantitative section got nervous in between and made few mistakes in Verbal

which I realised just after coming back from exam.

In quant the amount of calculations involved were more than Power prep CAT

test but I guess difficulty was in line with Kaplan maths and Princeton

online tests. I felt lot of time pressure in quantitative section

because of spending too much of time double checking the first 20 questions

and felt so much time pressure than I had to guess on few questions which I

could have solved if I had one extra minute on average for each of these tough

questions. So my score was low but I knew where things went wrong. In

verbal I felt I was weak in RC and not very comfortable in SC.

My advise don't waste too much time double checking answers.

After coming back I started again more rigorously this time. Spending good

amount of time doing all harder maths problems in the same test. Put myself

through time pressure. Also for verbal again did studied [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] again trying to

learn concepts. Spend lot of time improving on SC and RC. During practise

test I noticed good increase in my verbal score. I was scoring most of the

time over 40 and couple of times 38. I tried test which i had never

taken before and was scoring in same range. I was scoring pretty good in RC

and CR and making few mistakes in SC. PowerPrep second test scored 770 but was remembering most of questions from OG

Then came the day for second attempt. Was keeping cool the day before exam and

had a nice sleep. Was also feeling confident of striking over 700 this

time. Started maths sections with much better control but few silly

calculations forced me to redo the questions when I didn't find the answer

among choices. Wasted time because of it and had to guess on two questions

to gain speed. But difficulty level of questions this time was better than

last time. So thought that I will again score 48-49 minimun.

Then came the verbal section. I found the difficulty level of questions

better than last time. But I was also feeling more confident answering my

questions this time. One of RC was very long (around 70 lines) and tough

unlike first time. Got 2 boldface questions ( first time there was only

one). I felt I did good on CR and Rc and SC it shouldn't be worse than what

i was doing at home. After finihsing the test, I had the feeling that I

should be getting 48-49 in maths and atleast 38 in verbal, as questions

appeared more difficult to me and I was more confident answering them. But

when the score flashed I was disheartned to see very low verbal score - 29

which had infact fallen down from last time (Q-33). I had never scored so

low. Infact even without any preperation or touching [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] i scored 33 in

verbal on Power prep test before my first attempt) and 36 in second test (

before first attempt)

Never had done so bad before. Don't know what went wrong. Not able to

find even one reason which could have resulted in such a low score.

Ursala please advise what can I do for next time. Is it ok appearing again. i need to score in 700's. The problem I am having now is that i have already done [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] three times and almost remember all the questions. Done kaplan and princeton. Also what should I do that will give me correct idea that there is improvement from last time. What new material I can try especially for verbal section.

Please advise.

thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I am Rak. I am new to this forum. I am planning to start on my GMAT preparations shortly. Ursula, your messages regarding your preparations and your success formula are truly inspiring!

Thanks, :)

Rak

hi ursula,

awsome score. this level of score i use to dream. quite amazed to see that the previous exam you gave was 22 yrs ago. "hats-off to you". i can very well judge by your detailed tips/ advise for GMAT preparations that how methodologically you prepared for the test. sounds great.. even inspiring too (atleast for me, but i am sure that there are many guys like me with same thought). i also thanks "people behind this forum" for putting these invaluable stuff and people..

cheers ursula !!!

Ursula/All who want to assist,

I know this may sound like a broken record, but I don't normally frequent message boards and surely don't post messages! However, after happening upon this board today after my dismal performance on the GMAT I wondered if it was fate. I scored a 550 today and could not tell you the breakdown since after I saw the 550 I just stopped looking. I have spent about a month (which seems paltry in comparison to some) but have worked through the Kaplan 2003 book and CD, the Kaplan GMAT GRE math review, GMAT for Dummies, and of course PowerPrep. 550 is at the bottom end of all of my practice test scores, and I don't believe is indicative of my ability. I can say that in comparison to some of your posts I did not "plan" any where near enough, and wonder/hope that was the problem. What could you suggest as a time frame to repeat the test and how to prepare (considering the study guides used) with the time constraint of Feb. 1 (app deadline)

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello y'all: thanks for the many advices. I want to make you aware of an undocumented feature of GMAT test.

I took the AWA without problem. I had 5 minutes break between the AWA and the Quant. I took the Quant. without problem. Went for another 5 minutes break. Because the test site was over crowded, I have had to stay in line to wait for my turn to use a uni-sex bathroom...so my break became about 15 to 20 minutes. When I went back to resume the test at the Verbal section, I had like 50 minutes only!

It appears as if the computer computed all breaks against my time. Result: Q=40; V=23; GMAT=590.

Has this happened to anyone else? If I were not taking a break at all, would the computer add 10 minutes (2 times 5 minutes) to my overall GMAT time? In which section would the time be added: verbal I assume?

Thanks for giving your opinion on this. M. Rama Ro

hi all! 3/12 was my G day. Score: M 49 :tup: (90%) V 30 :mad: :mad: (60%) Total 650 (86%). From 580 it is a rather good increase... Hopefully this will be enough for an ivey college.

Thank you ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL :grad: :grad: for all the advice, the material and of course all the threads !!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully we will meet in some college!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

in my diagnostic test i found that i am very weak in Reading Comprehension section. When i start preparing from [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] i find that atleast 1 to maximum of 3 questions go wrong for every 6 qsns which i take in [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip]. Please give my some suggestion to start with [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip].

Thank you.

Hello y'all: thanks for the many advices. I want to make you aware of an undocumented feature of GMAT test.

I took the AWA without problem. I had 5 minutes break between the AWA and the Quant. I took the Quant. without problem. Went for another 5 minutes break. Because the test site was over crowded, I have had to stay in line to wait for my turn to use a uni-sex bathroom...so my break became about 15 to 20 minutes. When I went back to resume the test at the Verbal section, I had like 50 minutes only!

It appears as if the computer computed all breaks against my time. Result: Q=40; V=23; GMAT=590.

Has this happened to anyone else? If I were not taking a break at all, would the computer add 10 minutes (2 times 5 minutes) to my overall GMAT time? In which section would the time be added: verbal I assume?

Thanks for giving your opinion on this. M. Rama Ro

Hello Everyone,

Just got through my GMAT. Huge regret in life..not having discovered this forum before.

i Guess I goofed up both in Quant and Verbal.

Preparation was very hapazhard.

I didn't have a comp at home..so took minimal practice tests.

relied primarily on [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] and it was almost at very end that I got a hang of sentence correction.

Wish I had spent more time. Spidey's material was very useful and Ursula's mail probably the best example of what planning should be. Wish I had discovered them earlier.

Scores in the various tests

Kaplan-590

Princeton-620

PowerPrep-650

I have been working for 7yrs and need to look at the options available.

Erin, many thanks - last for hosting this forum. I have been on this for the last 3-4 days continuously pouring over the postings and tips. The browsing centre guys can declare a good quarter.:)

I will be glad to help anyone requiring inputs...but my take..beginers just follow whatever URSULA recommended...spidey's notes....and use the forum extensively.

Regards

arikalp, 660 is a good score ... i guess seeing so many 700s makes it look small....

do you belong to the Indian / IT/ male gene pool ?? I dont think its as bad as its made out to be ...

Do tell us more about how you spent those 4 hrs...the difficulty level ...any unusual questions etc

Thanks

Hi mba05.

belong to the Indian IT pool. and I am definitely male.:)

well The first was the issue and the second was the argument. Did reasonably well. Anyway the scores will tell.

The exam as such was interesting. Once it started I forgot all my nervousness and plunged right in. I had about 4 questions on mean median mode, probability, permutation and combination . Ratio proportion too figured in.

I goofed up somewhere and ansd spend some 7-8 minutes on 2 questions..it was on some series. That was in the 12th and 14th question..somewhere there. And never recoverd. Ultimately I had to guess some 5-6 questions in the end.

English i was never good. Sentence coerrrection I somehow managed to ustandnd most..but CR and RC were disasters.

actually finished a couple of minutes ahead of schedule.

well after that it was all about seeing the score. it showed a 660( 48 Q AND 34 V). i LEFT WITH alingering thought,had I got a 5o q...with my haphazard prep ...i might have crossed the 700 barrier.

thats abt it.

sorry for the delay and as I mentioned earlier.i don't have a PC at home.

regds

Arikal

Hi Ursula,

First of all I just wanted to say that I really appreciate you sharing your study plan. I really need to get going seriously on my GMAT perp. I plan to write in JAN end. I had a few questions which I hope you will guide me with.

In your reply you mentioned about practising a set of 40 question of one type ,EG- 40 SC, 40 CR etc. I wanted to know if alloting 80 min for all types is a fare evaluation on your pacing skills. As in what do I do with RC?

Also will practising from [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] (which is not computer adaptive) suffice? OR DO I have to do more of CAT based test. I have KAPLAN book with CD that includes 4 tests + PP 1 & 2 test. Do I need to get more CAT test?

PLS help me with this as I am falling short of time

THANKS A TON...

n_adroja.

• 1 month later...

Tanmay,

Ursula is currently in one of the top 5 business schools in canda with full tuition waiver. She is currently a tutor in veritas (GMAT) as well.

Did you not see the other posts of her in which she mentioned.

Fine, she is a great motivations for thousands out there

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...