Urch Forums

2015 PhD Business Administration Admissions/Waiting/Sweating thread

tm_associate

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi fellow urchians !!

enough of lurking for me for now, am taking the plunge !!!

I got a mail indicating a skype interview with a POI at one of my top 3 options later this month !!! operations management stream and will post in gradcafe right after the interview !

although after having lurked for so long, i am seemingly not so panicked and have an idea of what it is going to be but still to fellow sweaters out there, any help or tips would be appreciated !!!

That is true. As an Ohio State fan, it was certainly more enjoyable for me. Even if you aren't, though, it was a good game. 4 turnovers, defenses actually making plays, and it really didn't get away from Oregon until the 4th quarter.

I thought it was a total beat down. The final score reflects this somewhat, but what would the score have been if OSU did not turn the ball over four times? Yikes. Only one team came to play last night, and it appeared that team wanted to make it a closer game by giving the ball away several times.

Welcome and congrats on taking the plunge! Best of luck with your upcoming interview!

hi fellow urchians !!

enough of lurking for me for now, am taking the plunge !!!

I got a mail indicating a skype interview with a POI at one of my top 3 options later this month !!! operations management stream and will post in gradcafe right after the interview !

although after having lurked for so long, i am seemingly not so panicked and have an idea of what it is going to be but still to fellow sweaters out there, any help or tips would be appreciated !!!

Program Applying to: Management/OB (micro OB)

GMAT Scores: 760 (99%ile) 48V (99%ile) 47Q (73%ile)

Undegrad degree / GPA: Civil Engineering / 3.56

Grad degree / GPA: MBA / 3.91

Work Experience: ~3 years junior engineer before grad school. Full-time academic staff since Sept. 2013

Teaching Experience: I currently work for the university where I got my MBA in a center for academic success. I teach an academic skills course and a freshmen college orientation seminar every semester. I also am a private math/test prep tutor for high school and college students.

Research Experience: RA for engineering professor one summer in undergrad. Independent study for a semester under a management professor that led to a presentation at AOM. HR case study presented at case research conference, won award for the best student authored case, just got accepted at A-level case research journal (first author). One other conference presentation and working paper targeted at A-level management education journal (first author).

Letters of recommendation: Three grad school profs. One very strong who I’ve has been a mentor and co-author. One from my research methods prof. One from another prof I’ve done some research with who has a Wharton PhD and is dept. chair, has A-level pubs but not too many recently.

Research Interests: Leadership, Diversity, Identity, Social status, Stigma and stereotyping

Schools Considering to Apply to: 13 widely spread across the top 100

Finally got around to posting this. I have been racing the clock on a few of these later deadlines. Just got an email yesterday from a POI at Georgia State requesting a phone interview for next week. Any insight into what I should expect is much appreciated :)

Waiting has been tough!! Have tried (been difficult!) to keep my mind off apps/ outcomes by:

1) Training for a Marathon (no better prep I say to ready you for a career in research/ academics :-)!!! Am running my maiden full marathon this Sunday - 18th Jan (Mumbai, India)

2) Had a research paper to turn in for the AoM (Academy of Management) deadline of 5pm - NYC /13th Jan! Was up until 3 am last night but managed to turn my submission in! Phew!! As if there isn't enough to wait for.... waiting for AoM's review/ response by March is now added to the list! :-)

Still have 3 apps to turn in by end of this week and will be done (at least on the App front)!

My background:

Program(s) Applying to: Mostly OB programs but have applied to a couple of Entrepreneurship (Entrepeneurial cognition) & Behavioral Science (Decision Making, etc) departments (given my core interest in human cognition)

GRE Scores: Gave it twice. First attempt - 325 (Quant - 167/ Verbal - 158/ Writing - 5.0). Realized I could do better + was aiming for a balanced score, so.. retook. Second attempt - 329 (Quant - 165/ Verbal - 164/ Writing - 5.0)

Undergrad degree / GPA: Bachelors in Production Engg (Mumbai, India) - First Class

Grad degree / GPA: Masters in Labor & Human Resources (Ohio State Univ - I hear the Buckeyes have been making waves/ created a lot of buzz lately! :-))/ GPA - 3.7

Work Experience: 12 years - Various HR Roles

Teaching Experience: Some as a Guest Lecturer at a Community College (OB/ HR/ Motivational theories/ Comp & Benefits classes)

Research Experience: Started last May 2014. Roughly 9 months. Working as a Research Associate at Indian Institute of Management Bangalore - Entrepreneurship cell (this is where interest in the area of Entrepreneurship/ Entrepreneurial choice making and cognition got triggered)

Letter of recommendation: 1 Associate Prof ( Decision Making expert - took his class and co-authored a paper with him last summer)/ 1 Assistant Professor - my supervisor at IIM Banglr Entrepreneurship cell (worked on a few case studies on Women Entrepreneurs + the paper that we submitted on Accelerators & Org Learning for AoM yesterday)/ 1 - My Ex-supervisor at the Company I worked at for the last 7 years ( I know that this is not an academic recco and may hurt me but didn't really have too many options being out of school and out of touch with my OSU Profs after returning to India. Also this a person who knows me really well and for 7 + years, so... just thought of leveraging that. May work against me, but..... Oh well!)

Research Interests: Human Cognition/ Decision Making/ Behavioral Economics/ Entrepreneurial Cognition/ Org Learning

Schools applied to: Applied widely - 13 US Schools, 3 in Europe, 2 in Canada (18 in All - 3 Top 10/ 5 Top 20/ 5 Top 30/ 5 Top 50)

Wish me luck for the Marathon this Sunday! :-) Interviews (if any/ hopefully!) can wait!! :-)

Best wishes of the New Year to all!

Edited by Ketan G
spellings

The fact that you own chickens makes me extremely jealous. The wife is currently scheming/planning how to effectively do some urban farming, and the chickens will be our first purchase.

I highly recommend it. The most difficult part though is walking the mental line between livestock and pet. You have to "retire" old hens if you want to maintain peak flock production and break even on the costs of keeping chickens. So far I haven't been able to "retire" any of the old hens in my flock. Although the hawk helped with one of the old hens. The other one was young and hadn't even laid her first egg yet.

That's got to be a "town you live in" type of problem. Happy fortifying. Might I suggest machine gun turrets?

When we first moved to this hippie college town we laughed at the chickens roaming in people's yards. Then we acclimated. Most of our friends here also have chickens and gardens.

Waiting has been tough!! Have tried (been difficult!) to keep my mind off apps/ outcomes by:

1) Training for a Marathon (no better prep I say to ready you for a career in research/ academics :-)!!! Am running my maiden full marathon this Sunday - 18th Jan (Mumbai, India)

2) Had a research paper to turn in for the AoM (Academy of Management) deadline of 5pm - NYC /13th Jan! Was up until 3 am last night but managed to turn my submission in! Phew!! As if there isn't enough to wait for.... waiting for AoM's review/ response by March is now added to the list! :-)

Still have 3 apps to turn in by end of this week and will be done (at least on the App front)!

My background:

Program(s) Applying to: Mostly OB programs but have applied to a couple of Entrepreneurship (Entrepeneurial cognition) & Behavioral Science (Decision Making, etc) departments (given my core interest in human cognition)

GRE Scores: Gave it twice. First attempt - 325 (Quant - 167/ Verbal - 158/ Writing - 5.0). Realized I could do better + was aiming for a balanced score, so.. retook. Second attempt - 329 (Quant - 165/ Verbal - 164/ Writing - 5.0)

Undergrad degree / GPA: Bachelors in Production Engg (Mumbai, India) - First Class

Grad degree / GPA: Masters in Labor & Human Resources (Ohio State Univ - I hear the Buckeyes have been making waves/ created a lot of buzz lately! :-))/ GPA - 3.7

Work Experience: 12 years - Various HR Roles

Teaching Experience: Some as a Guest Lecturer at a Community College (OB/ HR/ Motivational theories/ Comp & Benefits classes)

Research Experience: Started last May 2014. Roughly 9 months. Working as a Research Associate at Indian Institute of Management Bangalore - Entrepreneurship cell (this is where interest in the area of Entrepreneurship/ Entrepreneurial choice making and cognition got triggered)

Letter of recommendation: 1 Associate Prof ( Decision Making expert - took his class and co-authored a paper with him last summer)/ 1 Assistant Professor - my supervisor at IIM Banglr Entrepreneurship cell (worked on a few case studies on Women Entrepreneurs + the paper that we submitted on Accelerators & Org Learning for AoM yesterday)/ 1 - My Ex-supervisor at the Company I worked at for the last 7 years ( I know that this is not an academic recco and may hurt me but didn't really have too many options being out of school and out of touch with my OSU Profs after returning to India. Also this a person who knows me really well and for 7 + years, so... just thought of leveraging that. May work against me, but..... Oh well!)

Research Interests: Human Cognition/ Decision Making/ Behavioral Economics/ Entrepreneurial Cognition/ Org Learning

Schools applied to: Applied widely - 13 US Schools, 3 in Europe, 2 in Canada (18 in All - 3 Top 10/ 5 Top 20/ 5 Top 30/ 5 Top 50)

Wish me luck for the Marathon this Sunday! :-) Interviews (if any/ hopefully!) can wait!! :-)

Best wishes of the New Year to all!

Best of Luck :)

Best of Luck :)

Thanks! Appreciate it!

Btw - just got my first "email". Not good news (the marathon this weekend and beyond, just got tougher! :-)).

This is a Top school in Europe. I knew they are a stickler for grades but still tried my luck (my Undergrad grads are far from outstanding but had hoped to compensate with my Graduate GPA of 3.7 and GRE scores)!!

Was not to be! :-(

The feedback is (and I quote from the email) - "The Admissions Committee has considered your application this week. They were not satisfied that your qualifications meet our minimum requirements for direct entry to the PhD programme.

In particular they would be looking for an undergraduate grade of > 90%. Also they considered that your previous training did not cover management research methods in sufficient detail and your Masters degree was 13 years ago."

Ouch!! :-) As I was saying.... the "marathon" just got tougher! :-) 1 down, 17 to go! Hopefully the other responses will be kinder (if not all, then at least some! :-))

Thanks! Appreciate it!

Btw - just got my first "email". Not good news (the marathon this weekend and beyond, just got tougher! :-)).

This is a Top school in Europe. I knew they are a stickler for grades but still tried my luck (my Undergrad grads are far from outstanding but had hoped to compensate with my Graduate GPA of 3.7 and GRE scores)!!

Was not to be! :-(

The feedback is (and I quote from the email) - "The Admissions Committee has considered your application this week. They were not satisfied that your qualifications meet our minimum requirements for direct entry to the PhD programme.

In particular they would be looking for an undergraduate grade of > 90%. Also they considered that your previous training did not cover management research methods in sufficient detail and your Masters degree was 13 years ago."

Ouch!! :-) As I was saying.... the "marathon" just got tougher! :-) 1 down, 17 to go! Hopefully the other responses will be kinder (if not all, then at least some! :-))

That is a really nice rejection. At least it lets you know why they actually rejected you.