Urch Forums

2015 PhD Business Administration Admissions/Waiting/Sweating thread

tm_associate

Btw - just got my first "email". Not good news

Sorry to hear about that. Fortunately it sounds like you applied pretty widely so I'm sure there's a much better match for you out there.

Yeah, the worry about research methods and old master's are probably because of the European style program.

I know at least one top school in Europe doesn't consider an MBA adequate preparation for their program. I was bummed when I read that on their website since they are doing interesting research and two people that I respect suggested I check them out.

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Program Applying to: Strategy

GMAT Scores: 710 (47Q; 41V 5 AWA 8 IR)

GRE Scores: 332 (167Q; 165V 4.5 AWA)

Undegrad degree / GPA: BA Political Science / extremely low

Grad degree / GPA: MBA/MHA 3.89

Work Experience: 12 years as an Army Officer

Teaching Experience: None

Research Experience: 2 papers submitted for publication; 1 conference

letter of recommendation: 3 strong letters from former professors

Research Interests: International Management; entrepreneurship, innovation

Schools Considering to Apply to: 14 schools across the spectrum

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum, so here is my brief intro: undergrad (double major in econ and maths) and a masters in econ. Am applying to quant marketing PhD. Going over the thread, I have a feeling that I have applied to too few schools:upset:. Is (are) there any school(s) with a quant marketing track that I could still apply to?

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum, so here is my brief intro: undergrad (double major in econ and maths) and a masters in econ. Am applying to quant marketing PhD. Going over the thread, I have a feeling that I have applied to too few schools:upset:. Is (are) there any school(s) with a quant marketing track that I could still apply to?

I did a run for quantitative marketing PhDs with february deadlines. Here are three I found:

FSU - Marketing PhD

University of Miami - Marketing PhD

Wayne State University

I did a run for quantitative marketing PhDs with february deadlines. Here are three I found:

FSU - Marketing PhD

University of Miami - Marketing PhD

Wayne State University

Thanks hopeassured for sharing the list.

My feeling is that Wayne has more of a psychology-quant track.

U Miami's deadline for Business PhD program was Jan 5. Its Economics PhD application deadline is Feb 2 (btw I just happened to explore the econ program and its quite good....based on their syllabi, they cover quite a bit of recent material in their course work, faculty has decent research and they are hiring more good faculy too)

There seems to be something wrong with FSU's online application, everytime I login it returns an error message.

Looks like we're starting to get some action on Grad Cafe. Mostly Interviews at this point, but there have been a couple of Acceptances and Rejections:

-Accounting: Cornell, Ohio State, UNC, Michigan, Temple, Wisconsin (Madison), Indiana have sent out some Interviews. Missouri and Florida have already offered an Acceptance each

-Management: Purdue, Ohio State, U Penn (Wharton), Georgia, and Georgia State have sent out some Interviews

-Operations: INSEAD sent out an interview

-Organizational Behavior: Case Western has sent out an Interview and a Rejection

-IT: UIUC sent out an Interview

-Finance: Ohio State sent out an Interview

-Marketing: Nothing!!! ...well, one person posted in Dec '14 that they got accepted to Texas A&M for Fall 2014...

Good post, Sheetrockero! Nice job applying to 14. I kept it to 8 and felt busy enough!!

Thanks hopeassured! I had actually planned to do 18 but I missed one deadline and then started thinking about what I could do with each $100 saved by not applying to schools that I either had no shot at or wasn't 100% excited for. I feel like I ended up with a pretty good list (for my interests).

BTW: Nice use of the emoticons and good luck on the interview!

Looks like we're starting to get some action on Grad Cafe. Mostly Interviews at this point, but there have been a couple of Acceptances and Rejections:

-Accounting: Cornell, Ohio State, UNC, Michigan, Temple, Wisconsin (Madison), Indiana have sent out some Interviews. Missouri and Florida have already offered an Acceptance each

-Management: Purdue, Ohio State, U Penn (Wharton), Georgia, and Georgia State have sent out some Interviews

-Operations: INSEAD sent out an interview

-Organizational Behavior: Case Western has sent out an Interview and a Rejection

-IT: UIUC sent out an Interview

-Finance: Ohio State sent out an Interview

-Marketing: Nothing!!! ...well, one person posted in Dec '14 that they got accepted to Texas A&M for Fall 2014...

Aww man, I was hoping to not stress out with the frequent email refreshing for another couple of weeks. I was perfectly content living in denial about the app process...

Gradcafe says Wharton has started sending mails for Marketing PhD F15. Well, its going to get interesting now :)

Oh man, I wasn't sweating until now. Here's to another month and a half or so of constantly checking grad cafe. Luckily, that's not a school I applied to, but it's still exciting to see things are starting to move for marketing!

Gradcafe says Wharton has started sending mails for Marketing PhD F15. Well, its going to get interesting now :)

Aww man, so they didn't ask me for an interview? I guess I can give up that dream. :sorrow:

I mean, technically, I gave up on that dream when I decided not to apply, but it'd be nice if they heard about me, and said "Wannabephd", we "wannagiveyouaphd". If corporate recruiters can cold call because they think I'd be a good candidate, then surely top PhD programs can too, right? :)

Do you think the other concentration areas will follow soon? or is the process separated?

I constantly open my apps, see if there's any change in the "status" and hope to read something "awesome". Minnesota and Maryland univs have something like "Under Departmental Evaluation". Rest of them are in the "submitted/completed" mode.

So I'm assuming something can be expected from Carlson and Smith School soon.

I constantly open my apps, see if there's any change in the "status" and hope to read something "awesome". Minnesota and Maryland univs have something like "Under Departmental Evaluation". Rest of them are in the "submitted/completed" mode.

So I'm assuming something can be expected from Carlson and Smith School soon.

Are you in marketing?