Urch Forums

2015 PhD Business Administration Admissions/Waiting/Sweating thread

tm_associate

Things must have started moving. Received an email to interview with a Top 20 uni later this week. This is for a PhD in Finance by the way.

I'm excited since it's my first interview, but very nervous too. I was not expecting to receive any replies from universities so soon in the new year. Hope others have replies too.

Congrats!! There is always a little movement in early January with the bulk in late January and February. Grad cafe is a good source for when individual schools have done things historically.

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats! Can you update on gradcafe? Thanks!

Things must have started moving. Received an email to interview with a Top 20 uni later this week. This is for a PhD in Finance by the way.

I'm excited since it's my first interview, but very nervous too. I was not expecting to receive any replies from universities so soon in the new year. Hope others have replies too.

Don't want to sound rude or be a pain, but I think I'll hold off posting on gradcafe until some finance related activity picks up. Given how early in the year it is and how little activity there is ill try minimise the chance of identification. I'll let you all know how the interview goes after it takes place though, 2 days waiting to go.

Congrats on the interview!

minimise the chance of identification

This is a random question open to all Urchins out there: what is the reasoning behind keeping your identity hidden? What is the drawback if people discover who you are? I don't mean to come across sarcastically, because I am genuinely interested in the question.

What is the reasoning behind giving the GRE for admission to a PhD program. THe two are not related in any universe we inhabit. However we've all given it because the authorities want it.

Someone somewhere started this thing of hiding identities, then someone else started this thing of "I don't tell you colleges to apply for", then someone else started this thing of posting the entire profile minus the name (so you're identifiable yet your identity remains a secret.

I think all of this is to prevent the abuse of power (howsoever small the concentration of it may be with a particular individual, the senior urchins already grad students or the better profiled application mates of ours, the prospective applicant is the absolute limit of the absence of power).

Or even to prevent finger pointing at each other when the results tumble out and you see your profile which was objectively so much better than that other person's and yet he got through Northwestern while you are languishing here at Urbana-Champaign's waitlist.

Never understood this myself but I guess this is part of the 'Initiation' process here at Urch. So buckle up my friend and hide your identity as well as you can.

I just find it funny because as soon as we get a result, we can't wait for the world to know us, to end our self inflicted anonymity with a bang.

But that's just me.

Cheers for all the waiters and sweaters like me (or you)

Congrats on the interview!

This is a random question open to all Urchins out there: what is the reasoning behind keeping your identity hidden? What is the drawback if people discover who you are? I don't mean to come across sarcastically, because I am genuinely interested in the question.

Program: Marketing (Quantitative)

GMAT: 750 (Q 51, V40, AWA 6.0 IR 8.0)

Undergrad: Electronics and Communications Engineering. A reputed Indian university

Grad: MBA, Marketing focus, Top 5 Indian B-School

Work experience: 2 years with San Jose based Networking Giant as a Software Engineer

2 years with Indian Automotive MNC as an Area Sales Manager

Teaching experience: None

Research experience: None (Unless Quiz Research counts)

Letter of recommendation: 3 (2 from Business School Profs, 1 from Undergrad Prof, all of them fairly into publishing research, publishing text books etc)

Research interests: Choice Modeling, Pricing Strategies (digitized content)

Schools in consideration: 4 T10, 4 T20, 2 T30

Maybe I'm mega pedantic, but coming from a very small application pool (proverbial drop in the bucket) I just feel as though I should keep my online identity hidden lest I say or do anything I may regret, either online or offline. It's not just this forum for me, it's every forum. Having said that, if everybody were the same as me this forum would end up as useful as EJMR.

As I type this, I'm going through the 2014 admissions/waiting/sweating thread

Haha! I totally did the same thing this weekend! I really hope we start getting some more action on this thread. Since all my apps are in, compulsively refreshing this forum feels like the only active thing I can do to get into a PhD program.

Not sure if this is an interview, but I got an email from the professor I'm interested in working with at OSU Fisher (Management/HR) letting me know I'm on the "short list of finalists" and we set up a time to talk on the phone later this week. He said he wanted to tell me more about the program and answer any questions I might have. Has anyone else received an email like this? Also any advice would be great!

I received an e-mail from one of my schools last Thursday - but, it was not quite what I was expecting. The e-mail said I had a message in my student portal and I got very excited, thinking I had either my first acceptance or rejection (hopefully acceptance, but any action is exciting at this point!). Unfortunately, after logging into the student portal, the message simply said that my application was now under review.

So, fellow applicants, just be aware - you may get e-mails that don't mean too much; don't let them get your heart racing too quickly! ;)

Not sure if this is an interview, but I got an email from the professor I'm interested in working with at OSU Fisher (Management/HR) letting me know I'm on the "short list of finalists" and we set up a time to talk on the phone later this week. He said he wanted to tell me more about the program and answer any questions I might have. Has anyone else received an email like this? Also any advice would be great!

This is an interview, although it sounds like it might be a little more casual than some of the others you might receive. Good luck!

So...... when do the first rounds of interviews for marketing start????

Hard to wait.

If you go through previous threads you notice that there will be a couple of schools who contact students for interviews starting next week. Some might do this week, but I would say that is a rarity, not the norm. Most interviews will happen in February and March. It's still way to early to get excited.

Also any advice would be great!

My generic advice would be 1) Do you best to relax and enjoy the interview. I know it is practically impossible to do that, but you will be talking to a professor whose research you are interested in, and that is pretty cool if you ask me. 2) Come prepared with plenty of questions. Try to think of questions you can ask about the professor (e.g. what is he working on now), the program (e.g. how is it structured), and the broader university/city (e.g what is it like living there). This is a good signal that you are very interested in the program. The only caveat is to avoid asking simple questions that can be easily answered through a google search or on their website since that might actually signal a lack of interest/familiarity.

For me it is two things. 1) I'm hesitant to post identifiable information anywhere online. 2) I feel I can speak more freely and therefore be more helpful when some anonymity is preserved. I think from an applicant's perspective it is more about avoiding faux pas and ensuring you are judged solely on the merit of your application and not some conversations you had in a forum.

I'm sure an industrious individual could identify me from my posts, but I've tried to preserve some anonymity even though I'm now in a program.