Urch Forums

2016 PhD Business Administration Sweat Thread

CBHopeful2016

Hi folks. I had good interviews with couple of schools that I would love to go to. But they are playing the waiting game. Discussions are along the lines of "If we make an offer will you definitely join us? We do not want to take a chance.....can you update how things are shaping up in other schools......". Now, I take it as a positive signal that they want to give an offer. At this juncture, am I risking anything by waiting longer to hear from other schools. I still have not heard from 70% of the schools that I applied to and do not want to rush into a decision with respect to these two schools. Anyone in a similar situation or has experienced something like this? Any advice?

The short answer is yes you are risking something. It is possible that the school will decide to give the offer to someone else who is more likely to accept their offer. As sad as it is, likelihood of attendance is something that schools consider.

So my advice is this, if there is another school you are waiting for that you would rather go to, and if that school has not sent out invites (per here or gradcafe), you can wait. If, however, you would definitely attend one of the schools you interviewed with, then there is no reason to wait and potentially lose an offer. If you would definitely accept it, then let them know and take their offer.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is exactly correct. Try not to read into any signs. The wheels of academia move slowly and at their own pace.

I was told that the decision was going to be made by last Friday 'probably' and that I would be informed of the decision asap. Also they asked me whether I could accept the offer as soon as possible. I really hope that this silence does not mean that they dont want me. :(

I was told that the decision was going to be made by last Friday 'probably' and that I would be informed of the decision asap. Also they asked me whether I could accept the offer as soon as possible. I really hope that this silence does not mean that they dont want me. :(

Give it till Friday. If you hear nothing, then email them. No point making yourself worry so much either.

Just fyi to Marketing folks who applied at USC Marshall, check your application page online. I got a Reject (my first :-(...) posted to my page, but did not get any kind of notification about it, e-mail or otherwise.

Checked the website. I also got rejected.

Anyone invited to visit NYU stern for management program?

I got wait-listed :( and would very much like to attend!

I also applied to NYU for Management and have received neither an acceptance nor a rejection. How did you find out you were waitlisted? Did they email you first or did you have to ask about the status of your application?

I heard many schools only shortlist 5-8 students, and the committee made decisions in one or two days. If I heard nothing from them after a week, does that mean it is the end?

Give it till Friday. If you hear nothing, then email them. No point making yourself worry so much either.

I heard many schools only shortlist 5-8 students, and the committee made decisions in one or two days. If I heard nothing from them after a week, does that mean it is the end?

I sincerely hope that isn't the case. They are quick to convey the acceptance after interviews. But, a lot of things do intervene in the decision making process. Did you interview last week?

I don;t think so. Two of the schools I interviewed with had shortlisted close to 15-25 students. At least one of the schools told me that decisions would be communicated after 30-40 days (I was interviewed late Jan, and the results would be told by late Feb or March first week). Another school was hopeful of reaching/communicating some result within a week. So, I guess it would vary school to school and department to department!

Thanks! Yes, I interviewed last Wednesday, and have not heard from them. It has been a week :(

I sincerely hope that isn't the case. They are quick to convey the acceptance after interviews. But, a lot of things do intervene in the decision making process. Did you interview last week?

Thanks mahtog! I really hope that it is not the case. I would assume most schools shortlist around 10 students. The other school told me that they only shortlisted a very limited number of candidates, but they will send out the results in 2 weeks. I guess sometimes the schools move slowly.

I don;t think so. Two of the schools I interviewed with had shortlisted close to 15-25 students. At least one of the schools told me that decisions would be communicated after 30-40 days (I was interviewed late Jan, and the results would be told by late Feb or March first week). Another school was hopeful of reaching/communicating some result within a week. So, I guess it would vary school to school and department to department!

Thanks! Yes, I interviewed last Wednesday, and have not heard from them. It has been a week :(

It's early days then. :) Give it a few more days. I am very impatient with these things too, I always want the result right away. But, all this does is to make me stress out and annoy everyone around me.

i am sure you will hear by end of this week or next week. Don't worry.

Sure. thanks!

It's early days then. :) Give it a few more days. I am very impatient with these things too, I always want the result right away. But, all this does is to make me stress out and annoy everyone around me.

i am sure you will hear by end of this week or next week. Don't worry.

Got my first rejection last night! UT Austin for Management. Not really a problem, it wasn't one of my top choices. I'm still waiting anxiously to hear anything from my interview last Monday, just like many others :cower: I just keep telling myself to be patient. . . .

Got my first rejection last night! UT Austin for Management. Not really a problem, it wasn't one of my top choices. I'm still waiting anxiously to hear anything from my interview last Monday, just like many others :cower: I just keep telling myself to be patient. . . .

Out of curiosity, what department did you apply for? I still haven't heard anything from them, eagerly awaiting news!

2 acceptances from Rochester in Finance.

Congratulations!!!!!!:encouragement:

Folks who got admitted - Do you know how many people applied, how many they interviewed and how many offers they have given?

Thank you! They gave no indication to me how many people applied/interviewed/offered to. You can probably check the size of their previous classes to get a rough estimate for the number of offers, but other than that I have no idea where that information is.