Urch Forums

2016 PhD Business Administration Sweat Thread

CBHopeful2016

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are schools (Marketing - CB) moving much slower this year than in previous years? I've only seen movement from two of the schools I applied to, and I'm not even sure if they were CB. I'm starting to get very nervous that I didn't get accepted anywhere! :dejected:

I have barely been on the boards this year (well right now I'm procrastinating reading). But I didn't hear of any interview calls until early/mid Feb at the earliest (well maybe one literally a year ago). Just remember, no news is good news. No news is good news. If I remember correctly, most of the fun/action happens in February and maybe early March. You'll do fine!

How many times a day do you see this screen?:

[TABLE=class: results narrow-table ui-table ui-table-reflow, width: 1283]

[TR]

[TD=class: instcol]Institution[/TD]

[TD]Program (Season)[/TD]

[TD=class: dandd]Decision & Date[/TD]

[TD=class: stcol]St1[/TD]

[TD]Date Added[/TD]

[TD]Notes[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: row0, bgcolor: #CAC8CA]

[TD=class: instcol]Anderson School Of Management, UCLA[/TD]

[TD]Accounting, PhD (F16)[/TD]

[TD]Interview via E-mail on 28 Jan 2016[/TD]

[TD]U[/TD]

[TD=class: datecol]28 Jan 2016[/TD]

[TD]

• Just received. Very happy! GMAT 760

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: row1, bgcolor: #F2F2EC]

[TD=class: instcol]UCLA Anderson[/TD]

[TD]Interview via E-mail on 28 Jan 2016[/TD]

[TD]U[/TD]

[TD=class: datecol]28 Jan 2016[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: instcol]INSEAD[/TD]

[TD]Accounting And Control, PhD (F16)[/TD]

[TD]Interview via E-mail on 21 Jan 2016[/TD]

[TD]I[/TD]

[TD=class: datecol]27 Jan 2016[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: instcol]Simon Business School, University Of Rochester[/TD]

[TD]Interview via E-mail on 21 Jan 2016[/TD]

[TD]U[/TD]

[TD=class: datecol]24 Jan 2016[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: instcol](UGA) University Of Georgia[/TD]

[TD]Interview via E-mail on 11 Jan 2016[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[TD=class: datecol]23 Jan 2016[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: instcol]The University Of Texas (Austin)[/TD]

[TD]Interview via E-mail on 20 Jan 2016[/TD]

[TD]A[/TD]

[TD=class: datecol]23 Jan 2016[/TD]

[TD]

• report spam
  • Skype interview

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by ZAPHD

I have barely been on the boards this year (well right now I'm procrastinating reading). But I didn't hear of any interview calls until early/mid Feb at the earliest (well maybe one literally a year ago). Just remember, no news is good news. No news is good news. If I remember correctly, most of the fun/action happens in February and maybe early March. You'll do fine!

This is true. I had 2 interview invites in January and they were both for schools who really wanted to get people so they invited earlier. No news is definitely good news at this point.

I received an email from the program coordinator saying that he wants to "speak with you about a potential offer of admission to our PhD program". Is that an offer or an invitation to interview?

This is an interview invite! Congrats! That is the worst case scenario from this email, best case it's literally an acceptance (although I doubt that).

Do most schools usually wait until they have funding info to send out offers?

Not necessarily. Again it depends. Some schools want to send out official offers with funding information and everything for you to make a decision, some schools will have a prof send an email or phone call to say you are accepted and that the official offer letter will come later. It's school and department dependent, like most of this whole process.

This is true. I had 2 interview invites in January and they were both for schools who really wanted to get people so they invited earlier. No news is definitely good news at this point.

These tidbits are gems. I'm counting on the no news being good news for now.

Seems like February is going to be our make it or break it month.

I called a school (mid-tier) because I was dying of curiosity -- they said they haven't even started their committee process -- each department is still vetting and shortlisting candidates for internal discussion.

She said they'll first go through this at the department level. If the department short lists you then you'll go to the admission committee for interview and then subsequent confirmation. After that you go to the general (post-)graduate department for final acceptance.

These meetings are held normally one week apart so they can write minutes and draft up funding documents etc.

So if right now they're just about to start the first meeting on the short listed candidates -- then 2nd to 3rd week of February is when they get around through the whole interview / acceptance process.

Obviously, this is just for one school and everyone will do things differently.

Does it mean you will have a higher probability of being admitted if you are interviewed in Jan.? I got an interview request from one of my dream schools recently and I have been wondering my odds of getting in.

Does it mean you will have a higher probability of being admitted if you are interviewed in Jan.? I got an interview request from one of my dream schools recently and I have been wondering my odds of getting in.

No unfortunately that is not an assumption that one can make. Some schools just move earlier for some other reason.

I would say your changes are the same no matter when you interview. Even if a school wants to get offers out earlier the probability of admission is still likely the same as schools that interview later. Sorry. Good luck!

Not necessarily. I think it does mean you'll have a higher probability of getting an answer sooner, but what that answer is depends on a lot of things, namely how many people they interview for how many spots (read: how long their "short" list is). Some schools just operate faster than others, some may have ad com people whose teaching/travel schedules hate each other and they can't find time to meet right away. Some schools just want to get it done before a certain date, some may have early review dates to nominate people for school fellowships, etc.

All the best to your dream school interview though. That's definitely a good thing!

No unfortunately that is not an assumption that one can make. Some schools just move earlier for some other reason.

I would say your changes are the same no matter when you interview. Even if a school wants to get offers out earlier the probability of admission is still likely the same as schools that interview later. Sorry. Good luck!

Jinx! Hello my bearded friend. :)

In Marketing it definitely seems like the quant people are getting way more of a move on than CB... I think next week will see a lot of action

That's honestly not particularly surprising. If I had to hazard a guess, I would guess that generally quant is a little more on the ball than CB, thus sends things out faster. Think about it from the perspective of the type of people who do quant vs CB. One is much more type A.

Of course this is only an opinion not based on fact, but rather sweeping generalizations which may or may not be true.

That's honestly not particularly surprising. If I had to hazard a guess, I would guess that generally quant is a little more on the ball than CB, thus sends things out faster. Think about it from the perspective of the type of people who do quant vs CB. One is much more type A.

Of course this is only an opinion not based on fact, but rather sweeping generalizations which may or may not be true.

According to that logic, can we deduce that management (ob) takes a lot longer than quantitative program?

It seems like very few ob programs sent out interview invitations.

I want to ask, can the candidate receive a notification during the weekend?