Urch Forums

2016 PhD Business Administration Sweat Thread

CBHopeful2016

Do Wharton only admit candidates whom they interview? Does no interview invitation mean no chance of being accepted then? Thanks!

Not necessarily, but the probability of acceptance without an interview is low. That being said nothing is official until you get that rejection letter. It's still early, so I wouldn't start worrying yet. Even if you didn't get an interview in their first round of interviews it's possible that they won't like any of the interviewees and invite a second round.

My point? It is unlikely to get an offer of admission without an interview. This is particularly true at top schools. They want to know how you'll fit in with their culture, which they can't do through reading an application. A quick skype interview allays a lot of fears and is relatively easy to do. So your overall chances without an interview are slim.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey I took a look at your profile. Your profile is pretty good but as you said in your profile that you didn't put any backup schools. That is something I believe should always be done because the top tier schools are extremely competitive to get into.

Btw you didn't mention how much of an RA experience did you have and if you did anything major there like a publication in a top tier journal or something?

hey I took a look at your profile. Your profile is pretty good but as you said in your profile that you didn't put any backup schools. That is something I believe should always be done because the top tier schools are extremely competitive to get into.

Btw you didn't mention how much of an RA experience did you have and if you did anything major there like a publication in a top tier journal or something?

Thanks for your comment.

I had one summer (2-3 months) of RA experience from my business school, however no publication.

Yeah i just saw it right now as well. I had thought of applying to Arizona State but didn't in the end. I myself am not sure if they are sent together. The only thing i got contacted for by one of my schools was to tell me that they didn't have my gre score. I had sent it to them mid December. Was so annoying that they don't have it. Which means more processing time

How does the adcom work? Do they "decide" areas simultaneously or might marketing be this week and accounting next week? Any ideas on this?

There should be separate adcoms for different specializations (fin, marketing, OB, etc) . So, they should be working independently.

There should be separate adcoms for different specializations (fin, marketing, OB, etc) . So, they should be working independently.

Yep each department does their own thing. Generally there is no connection between departments and when they decide to send out invites or acceptances.

Is there usually only one batch of interviews, or are there multiple? I applied to both ASU & Stanford, but didn't get an interview invite for either. Should I take this as an implicit rejection and move on?

Schools can send out multiple rounds of interviews. Generally if a batch of invites got sent out, there is a smaller chance of a second batch going out, and then a smaller chance than that of a third and so on and so forth. If a school doesn't love any one from their first batch, then they'll send out a second batch. Or if they just want more people to choose from.

It isn't an implicit reject per se, but your likelihood of an interview is decreased after not receiving one in the first batch. Does that make sense?

Also check my post on the application process for a better understanding of how things go down on the schools end.