Urch Forums

2016 PhD Business Administration Sweat Thread

CBHopeful2016

Yep each department does their own thing. Generally there is no connection between departments and when they decide to send out invites or acceptances.

Thank you very much I was stressing a bit when I saw the other specializations sent out interview requests.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would absolutely do the skype interview. Some schools should almost always be chosen over others, but preference and fit matter a lot. You could talk to some professors at school 12 and find out that you like the school better than you thought for whatever reason. Don't eliminate options without gathering enough information.

On a side note - If you are really sure that you aren't going to go to a school and aren't open to changing your mind, then a skype interview might be ok, but don't go out there. It is a waste of time and other resources for everyone involved. I know of a student that visited somewhere thinking that they would get into a better place (and they did get into a good school), so they didn't take the day too seriously. It left a bad impression and academia is a small social circle.

Yet again you have helped me so much. I followed your advice and I am really glad that I did!

Within departments, marketing for example, are invitations for Quant and CB usually sent out together or separate?

I'm going to give an entirely unsatisfying answer to this...it depends. This is completely department specific. It depends on whether they are looking to bring in both quant and CB or just one or the other. It depends on who's leaving the program. It depends on which faculty are looking for students. How much money the department has available for students. Which faculty are on the committee. Who they hired. The number of applications they received. Who the faculty are friends with. All of these, plus more I'm not currently thinking about, different things.

Before I go out on a limb and speculate, I am going to repeat that this is both school and department specific. If I was forced to make a broad generalization I would posit that they go out at different times. That being said a different time might mean 10 AM for quant and 2 PM for CB. I doubt that most schools would be more than say 3 weeks apart if they are separate. Again, though, I can't really say. A lot depends on the things I said above. And, if you noticed, these things are constantly changing from year to year so what a school does one year they might not do the next.

Of course that is only if you can. Sorry, I didn't mean to pry.

No problem. Sorry for only replying now. I received interviews from UIUC, UNC, Rochester and Iowa. I noticed on gradcafe that Austin and Michigan also sent out interview requests (not sure how "true" those are though)

Hi all! Good to see others are sweating it out just like me. I'm an OB applicant and applied to these schools:

Boston College

Stanford WTO program

Penn State

Arizona State

Michigan

Georgia Tech

UT Austin

I got my first interview invite yesterday, from Boston College. They invite about 10 people out for an on-campus interview and then make offers after that.

Hi all! Good to see others are sweating it out just like me. I'm an OB applicant and applied to these schools:

Boston College

Stanford WTO program

Penn State

Arizona State

Michigan

Georgia Tech

UT Austin

I got my first interview invite yesterday, from Boston College. They invite about 10 people out for an on-campus interview and then make offers after that.

Good to see another OB applicant here. Congrats on getting BC interview !

Best of luck to you.

Hi ZAPHD, congrats! I also got interview from Rochester. But I haven't heard from UNC and Iowa yet. Would you mind telling me when they sent you interview invitation? Also, are you domestic student? Thank you so much! (Sweating...:upset:)

About a week or 2 ago and I am an international student

I know someone had interviewed with Wharton

So, who has sent out interviews for accounting? based on the forum I have seen:

Iowa

Wharton

Rochester

UNC

UIUC

Based on Gradcafe (can we "trust" these?)

INSEAD

Austin

Michigan

Georgia

Ohio

Texas A&M

Indiana

Purdue

General question: when is the latest we can expect to hear from schools?

Iowa

Wharton

Rochester

UNC

UIUC

INSEAD

Austin

Michigan

Georgia

Ohio

Texas A&M

Indiana

Purdue

I have the same question...My professor told me it's still early, but you know, it's hard not to worry about the results.

Does anyone have any advice on withdrawing applications? I have accepted an offer (OB/HR applicant and happy to share the university names once I withdraw my app) and I would like to withdraw my application other universities. Is e-mail the best (especially if you have had interactions with them) or is there typically an online form to fill out? Thanks for the help and good luck everyone!

Does anyone have any advice on withdrawing applications? I have accepted an offer (OB/HR applicant and happy to share the university names once I withdraw my app) and I would like to withdraw my application other universities. Is e-mail the best (especially if you have had interactions with them) or is there typically an online form to fill out? Thanks for the help and good luck everyone!

Just shoot out an email to the programs. Be gracious about it and thank them for their time. Most schools will appreciate receiving the email. There are no official forms that I know of to withdrawal. If you had specific contact with faculty you should definitely email them directly.

It's still extremely early. You will hear from most schools by the beginning of April. I wouldn't start worrying too much unless you haven't heard anything by late March.

Thanks for this, now I have 2 months of sweating left!

Iowa

Wharton

Rochester

UNC

UIUC

INSEAD

Austin

Michigan

Georgia

Ohio

Texas A&M

Indiana

Purdue

I heard from most schools by mid-march. I still got good news in mid-February and had one school that I was basically waitlisted for that I contacted in late March. I think Grad Cafe is pretty reliable. There is very little motive to put out false interviews.

Also, given the schools that you have heard from, I would reiterate my earlier assessment that you want to go through with all of the interviews. They are all good schools without a huge difference in quality that I can see.

Wow congrats! I'm still waiting on my admission, but once you are ready, it will be greatly appreciated if you can share names?

I heard from most schools by mid-march. I still got good news in mid-February and had one school that I was basically waitlisted for that I contacted in late March. I think Grad Cafe is pretty reliable. There is very little motive to put out false interviews.

Also, given the schools that you have heard from, I would reiterate my earlier assessment that you want to go through with all of the interviews. They are all good schools without a huge difference in quality that I can see.

Hi YaSvoboden. I am really happy I followed your advice to interview with all the schools. Thanks for that!

I think I am going to die during this wait especially if I get ONE MORE EMAIL that starts with Thank You for ......

Emails that start with thank you have ALWAYS resulted in rejections for me in the past, without fail. Be they academic, or professional. I can't stand these thank you emails. Ugh