Top Posters In This Topic

• Hermione

• manwiththemission2005

• cridamour

• arjensteve

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I didn't get any time to visit the mall (or any part of the downtown area, except for the train station...) but I drove past and it seemed nice. I like the idea of having a mall in the center instead of outside of the city. Besides, for car-less students, it's also better! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

@Erin Can you please unlock my ancient thread from 2007, link below? Just wanted to give it a closure after so long. Lot happened in my life since that point but I am happy to say that I found peace, success, wishes and family. Just wanted to leave that thread with a closure and my thoughts for someone who is similarly frustrated... after all, though we are all unique, our situations are never brand new.

Just in case if that does not happen... Here is not so briefly what happened:

In 2007 while doing my masters from India, that too from the top most national institute in India, I was really frustrated. It burnt me for very brutally. With jealousy and self pity. Because I was in India, not in the greatest universities in west. That being said, I managed to complete my masters with decent GPA (3.55). I was in my early to mid 20s back then. I fortunately got a friend who was much more mature than I was. He was in his early 30s back then. He told me how he had to compromise on his extremely successful business and seek job because of his family situation and encouraged me to forge ahead instead of burning with jealousy. I finished my masters and got a job in one of the top most software development company in the world. There too my frustration and second rate feeling never left me... I knew I had to do something.

After 2 years there and one promotion later, I quit that and joined my same friend in a bank as their senior design engineer. I got to travel in EU a lot in my that job.. met many wonderful folks and learnt how people lived their lives and I decided to take the bull by the horn this time. I prepared for GRE and got a decent score (1470 back then). I also wrote TOEFL. Since I was in the bank I decided to try to get into Financial engineering. I applied only in CMU-MSCF and got an admit. This finally closed that wound in my heart. I talked with my friend and my mother (who is herself a banker and a financial expert). She told me that why you want to repeat an engineering master? Its hyper focused... unless you love it with all your mind, do not do it. I let it go. That being said, an admit from CMU in MSCF (at that time, one of the top most MFE program in USA) really put my mind at ease and calmness. 

Next was my itch to settle in "west". I came to knew that Australia is taking people directly as permanent residents. I applied and got the PR. Went there but decided to settle there in earnest only if I come with my job in hand and a wife with me. Next was marriage which was another story, lets say it happened somehow. I then started applying for jobs with potential to move to Australia once more. I got into a FANG company and an Australian company. FANG one made more sense, so I continued with it. It lead me to immigration to Canada instead of Australia. So I moved to Canada. I finally got a PR here in Canada today. (So I decided to give that thread a closure.) I live on west coast. I have been here for seven years now. Still working for the same FANG company. My son is born here. He will likely not face same issues as I did. Most likely, some different ones. Oh well!

There is still road ahead... though my learning is :

1. Do not feel frustrated if path is now clear right now. Things present themselves when they are ready.

2. Do not feel burnt by jealousy. Instead, face your fears and overcome them.

3. Do not obsess over something so much that you loose track of big picture.

4. Make a friend who has seen more things than you do.

5. When you want things in life on your own terms, it takes time and cost.

Edited by AnoniGlad