• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my GRE.....that s really bad...

Type of Undergrad: McGill U( Canada )

Undergrad GPA: 3.7X

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: 310 / 800

Math Courses: Matrix Algebra A, Linear Algebra A, Analysis 1 A-, Abstract Algebra B, ODE A, Probability A, Calculus 3 A, Vector Calculus A, Currently taking Grad Mathematical Statistics and Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos

Econ Courses: Inter Micro A-, Inter Macro A, Inter Econometrics A-, Advanced Econ A-, Game Theory A, Money and Banking A, IO B-, Labour Econ B+, One project Research on Search Theory with A. Currently taking Grad Microeconomic Theory 1.

Other Courses: Got one business degree at HKU with graduation gpa 3.9x.

Took some very very basic Econ and Math class with all As.

Interest Fleid: Growth Theory or/and Game Theory.

I am thinking to apply to SFU, U of Toronto MA(doctoral stream) as well as U Western Ontario MA.

Also, I ll apply to Phd Yale U, Northwestern U as well as Minnesota U.

If I m lucky enough to get in any one of the Phd program, that s amazing.

If not, it doesnt hurt to apply to them.

Otherwise I hope I could land on any MA program in Canada for one more year.

Do you guys think I am likely to get an offer from Minnesota U????

I'll join the bandwagon..

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: National University of Singapore (Econ Honours)

Undergrad GPA: 4.7/5.0 (top econ student; medals, prizes and a prize in metrics); 1st class hons

Type of Grad: Toulouse, Math econ and metrics (1st year of PhD)

Grad GPA: 2nd out of 25 in eco-math, 2nd out of 65 for all

GRE: 750 Q, 600 V, 4.0 AW; 800 Q 610 V ? AW

Math Courses: calculus and analysis, linear algebra, optimization

Econ Courses: PhD sequence in micro, macro and metrics; a lot of other stuff

Letters of Recommendation: undergrad supervisor (and co-author; offered to talk to Peter Phillips about me), grad supervisor, plus 2 guys I'm now RAing for

Research Experience: RA for undergrad supervisor (involved mathematical proofs in a paper published in Econometric Theory with Mark Armstrong from UCL; calibration exercise in a paper with Jerry Hausman of MIT); now RAing for 2 well-known young UofC guys; forthcoming co-authored (with undergrad sup) theory paper in the International Journal of Industrial Organization (which was cited in a Sept 2007 American Econ Rev article); other papers on paternal involvement in child-rearing (both theory and empirical), differential games applied to shipping alliances, evaluating small sample performance of a particular "thin set" estimator with respect to heteroskedasticity in binary response models, hybrid covariate and propensity score matching models

Teaching Experience: none

Research Interests: IO (both applied theory and metric modelling), competition policy and development, "econometrics" of linguistic data (statistical natural language processing), "econometric" issues in DNA microarray data, panel data, econometrics of mechanism design models (particularly model selection tests and structural econometrics, eg auctions)

SOP: Haven't written it yet; will elaborate on research agenda instead of explaining my achievements, weaknesses etc

Weaknesses: math

Tentative list of schools

Yale HBS Harvard MIT Chicago GSB Chicago Northwestern Stanford Stanford GSB Berkeley UCSD KSG PEG Columbia Sustainable Devt UPenn Princeton MSU

Undergrad:- Financial Economics 2:1 UK (A- US as WES conversion) [Not highly ranked university) [3 resits out of 15 was lazy didn’t submitted coursework on time)

No Mathematics during above undergraduate

Graduate: - MSc Econometrics [university Ranked top 10 in UK]

Books used in lectures are standard for first year graduate in US e.g.

Econometrics Analysis from W. Greene, A. Mas-Colell, M. Whinston and J. Green, Microeconomic Theory, D. Kreps, A Course in Microeconomic Theory, Harvester Wheatsheaf,

Courses Grad level: - Micro I II, Econometrics I II, Time Series Analysis, Quantities Assets Pricing, Econometrics for Financial Markets, Labour Economics

Mathematics: - Calculus I + II, Linear Algebra, differential equation

GRE: - 800/570/4.5

Research: - Working as RA with my undergraduate professor from undergraduate university

Own research: - Emerging Market Inflation targeting - Case of Pakistan (Sent to South Asia Economics Journal for publication)

Undergraduate Dissertation: - Market Microstructure –Evidence from KSE-100

LOR: - Two from Undergraduate and 2 from Graduate School All four hold PhD

From Stanford (Micro Professor), Vilnius (Time Series Analysis), 2 from Cambridge (Financial Economics and Labour Economics) Done Research with one of PhD from Cambridge and dissertation with him as well.

University interested:- A long list

U Chicago, Princeton U, North-western U, Yale U, Stanford U, Cornell U, U Michigan - Ann Arbor, U Texas – Austin, Columbia U, University of Mary Land- College Park, U Wisconsin – Madison, U Rochester, Boston U, Brown University, U Minnesota, University of Texas Austin, Boston College, California Institute of Technology (Caltech),Penn State University, Carnegie Mellon University. Texas A&M University, John Hopkins University, University of Washington

Rice University, Georgetown U, Washington U St Louis

School: Top econ department in Australia.

Major: Economics (Commerce/Law degree, dropped the law to pursue economics). Now doing a bit of maths part-time.

GPA: NA really, since international. H1 (A) in every subject in my commerce degree. So-so in law, but I don't really think any reasonable ad-com would care.

GRE: 800Q, 700V, Waiting on results for the AWA/percentiles

Courses: Economics: up to grad level micro, macro, econometrics, auction theory, search theory, industrial organization (all As)

Mathematics: On my transcript: Advanced streams of first year linear algebra, calculus, also core undergrad probability, statistics subjects (As in subjects completed so far). For semester before I start: vector analysis, real & complex analysis.

Research: Thesis prize; theoretical IO paper (to be submitted to Information Economics and Policy soon co-authored with advisor), co-author on another paper to be submitted to Journal of Labour Economics soon. RA since 2004 - both empirical and theoretical stuff.

TA: TA in intro Micro and Macro, advanced undergrad IO.

LOR: 1 former head of department, 1 full professor (both of those widely published highly respected professors), 1 thesis advisor, junior academic, currently on leave at Berkeley (which I hope will help...!). They all love me, I have no reason to think they'd be anything but positive.

Other: Graduated top of economics program; top of honours degree (1st of 149).

Interests: IO/Micro Theory

Schools:

Harvard

Stanford

Stanford GSB

Berkeley

Northwestern

Northwestern Kellogg MEDS

Princeton

NYU

Yale

MIT

U Penn

UCLA

U Wisconsin

U Maryland

Columbia

My Concerns:

A little weak on the math. But people from Australian Honours programs seem to circumvent that pretty well. I hope I can also be one of those people.

Schools: Top econ undergrad from Mexico, Masters from unknown US department, graduate summer at Duke.

Major: Economics. Now taking maths while working full-time for the fed.

GPA: Undergrad: 81/100 (tough program). Grad: 3.8, 4.0 at Duke.

GRE: Q=790, V=550, E(AW)=5.0

Courses: Economics: up to grad level micro, macro, econometrics (A's on grad-level, B's and C's in undergrad) All the standard field courses you take in a top latin american undergraduate program: IO (Tirole), International Trade (Feenstra-level material and Helpman and Krugman), Public Finance I and II (Musgrave & Musgrave, Rosen), Open Macro (mostly journal articles, Sebastian Edwards' book on RXR).

Statistics: Probability Theory, Mathematical Statistics, 3 theoretical econometrics (Greene was the textbook in all three). Applied econometrics, applied time-series.

Mathematics: Calc I and II, Logic and Proofs, Linear Algebra, Numerical Optimization, Introductory Real Anlaysis, Dynamic Optimization (Continuous and discrete), all A's.

Research: Published paper in exchange rate error correction modeling. Working paper on international real business cycles (research sample). Working paper on growth and space. Several Fed publications.

TA: TA in intro Macro, International and Development.

LOR: Two Duke professors (tenured with strong publication record). One respected Fed economist.

Interests: Open Macro, International Trade, Growth and Applied IO

Schools:

Berkeley

Northwestern (Finance at Kellog)

NYU

Yale

MIT (Financial Econ at Sloan)

UT Austin

Minnesota

Duke

My Concerns:

My low undergraduate grades. I hope the coursework at Duke can compensate those. I expect the recommendations to be superb, so that must help. Affirmative action might help, too (not at NYU, though).

• 1 month later...
Applying to top 10 and Michigan, possibly Oxford and LSE too (several people from my university have gotten in at Michigan and Oxford before, so they're the somewhat safer options). If I get denied everywhere, I'll take a year to work as an RA and apply again next year, lower down the ranks.

Yep, Michigan has a bunch of students from South Africa. Remarkably bright chaps you are, too...

Plus, there's lots of faculty on campus doing research in South Africa, if that's what you're interested in.

Good luck all!

For those of you wondering if writing matters, I have a couple of thoughts. I am in my third year of an econ PhD program. For those people with strong math skills, the first two years are a breeze. Once these folks pass the core/comp exams though, the rest hinges on writing ability. I have seen many people drop out of a PhD program with the masters, because the writing is too difficult.

My suggestion, take some technical writing courses. Maybe even a journalism course.

Good luck,

Oun

Undergrad: Mid-sized state university (SUNY Binghamton)

GPA: 3.98 total, 4.0 math, 3.97 econ (Economics/Math double major)

GRE: Q800, V470, AWA 4.5 :hmm:

Teaching Experience: Intermediate macro, also worked as a tutor

Research Experience: Virtually none. Started a thesis, never finished

Math: Up to abstract algebra and real analysis

LOR: 1 from econ professor who knows me really well, 2 from math professors

Interests: Monetary/macro

Applying to:

PhD: Minnesota (reach, obviously), Washington St Louis, Texas-Austin, Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue. MA: UBC, U Toronto, U Western Ontario.

Hoping to get into UWO or Washington-St Louis...

Undergrad: Top three LAC in US

GPA: 3.75/4.0 Econ (Econ major)

Math:Calc I-III, Linear Algebra

GRE: 790Q/710V/5.5AW

Teaching experience: TA in college for Intermediate Macro and Econometrics

Research experience: Senior thesis, since turned into co-authored paper w/ advisors, submitted for publication. RA job since college (3 years) supervising big field experiment in Latin America. Started (no results yet) small independent field/lab experiment here.

LOR: 2 from my current bosses, one pretty famous, the other I work w/ very closely and has some good publications...they like me. The other from my thesis advisor.

Interests: development, demography, experimental

Applying to: Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Yale, Michigan, Wisconsin (AAE), Davis (ARE), Berkeley (ARE), Brown, UCSD, UCLA, Duke, Penn (Demography), NYU

Concerns: Math!

Undergrad : Top Undergrad School in my country (Northeast Asia), Currently enrolled in the masters course in the same school.

Interest : Micro theory, Econometrics

GPA: 3.93/4.0 (Overall), 3.97/4.0 (Econ), 4.0/4.0 (Math) : Econ Major

GRE: 800Q/740V/4.0AW , TOEFL: 116

Honors: Top in my graduating class (1/201)

2 Grand prizes in paper contests (one in my school, one nationwide)

Math : Linear Algebra, Calculus 2, Topology, Mathematical Analysis, Real Analysis, Math Stat., Theory of Stat (Grad), (All A+) Probability Theory (Grad) (A0)

Advanced Econ : Grad Micro, Stat, Advanced Micro, Time Series Econometrics (All A+), Macro (A0)

TA : Econometrics, Statistics and Time Series Econometrics.

RA : Macro paper of my adviser, programming for cointegration analysis and stuff.

LOR : Two from econ profs who knows me really well, one from a stat prof.

Schools : Top 10 in econphd.net + Stanford GSB

Concern : weak research experience

School: Moderately sized public state school with no econ grad program.

Major: Economics. Math & Psychology minors.

GPA: 3.80, 4.0 in Math & Econ

GRE: 790Q, 600V, 4.5AWA

Courses: Economics: the usual principles & intermediate micro's & macro's, game theory, behavioral econ, history of econ, experimental econ, international econ

Mathematics: cal I-III, linear algebra, probability theory (taking diff eq., math stats, and adv. math for proofs in the spring)

Research: none

LOR: two economists and a mathematician

Interests: Micro theory

Schools: nyu, northwestern, pitt, maryland, uva, texas, illinois, ohio state, toronto (MA)

My Concerns: everything. i'm just hoping for some luck.

School: Top-30 Econ school

Major: Economics & Mathematics

GPA: 3.86, slightly lower in my major but not much

GRE: 780Q/510V/5.0AWA

Courses: Calc I/II/III, Intro to Proof, Linear Algebra, DiffEq, Stats & Prob, Linear Regression, Categorical Data, Real Analysis, Linear Programming, Nonlinear Programming, Numerical Analysis, Macro/Micro Introductory/Intermediate, Euro-Econ, Development of Africa, Commodities Futures Options, International Economics, Macroeconomic Policy, Econometrics, Public Sector Economics

Research: Cross-collaboration with MA in African Studies regarding data collected at a South African bank, Bayesian modeling biostats research over the summer at a Math REU

Recommendations: 1 Economist, 1 AgEconomist, 2 Statisticians

Research Interest: Applying statistical/econometric techniques to international economics.

Concerns: I think my profile is strong, but I am concerned about the low verbal score. I am a domestic student (US), but I couldn't seem to get the verbal score up. I seriously was struggling and tried hard. O well, things happen.

Schools: Yale, Berkeley, Brown, UIUC (PhD Econ & MA Ag Econ), Michigan State, WUSTL, UCSD, Toronto (MA), Purdue Ag Econ MA, Iowa State

Goal: To rule the world.

A coworker of mine from India told me that a lot of her friends study ridiculously hard for the GRE because they want to come to the U.S. If they don't get accepted (with funding as well, I imagine), then they can't emigrate.

I couldn't resist posting what I know although the thread exists for a different reason, especially since there is a reference to Indian students. In my (Indian) university, every year there were atleast 5 people who used to get 2400/2400 in the (yesteryears) GRE. And a lot (really a lot) will have scores over 2250.. I would imagine scores in excess of 1500 is just normal even now.

Reason - students here don't have anything else to do except study. They are made to think if they don't emigrate they aren't fit to live. I ain't exaggerating.

Undergrad : McGill U( Hons in Econ and Minor in Math ) and HKU( Business Admin )

GPA: 3.79 at McGill U / 3.98 HKU

GRE: 800Q/310V/3.0AW

Math : Abstract Algebra (B):eek:, Matrix Algebra (A), Linear Algebra(A), Calculus 3(A), Advanced Calculus(A), Analysis 1(A-), ODE(A), Probability(A), Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos(A) and Graduate Mathematical Statistics 1(A)

Econ:

Full-Year Courses: Micro(A-), Macro(A), Metrics(A-), Advanced Econ Theory(A-), Labour(B+):crazy:, Money and Banking(A)

Half-Year course: IO(B-):crazy:, Graduate Game Theory(A), Graduate Micro 1 (A), Project Research(A)

Schools : Minnesota U, Brown U, U of T (MA), UWO(MA).....and some..

Concern : No RA experience.

I really wanna go to Minnesota U for my phd in econ...............

Type of Undergrad: Top 25 Econ

Undergrad GPA: 4.0/4.0

Type of Grad: MA, Top 25 Econ

Grad GPA: 4.0/4.0

GRE: 800Q, 650V, 5.0 AW

Math Courses: calc 1-3, diff eq, linear algebra, stochastic processes, optimization theory, adv. prob/stat (all A's), audit topology, self-study real analysis

Econ Courses: Micro, Macro and Metrics (Intermed, Master's and 1st semester PhD), Health (MA), Trade(MA and PhD), Internat'l Finance (MA), Game Theory (MA)

Letters of Recommendation: 5 very strong (1 Harvard, 1 Chicago, 2 MIT, 1 Michigan). 4 of the professors are very well known. 4 i took classes from, and 2 I worked with.

Research Experience: RA for one year, about to submit co-authored paper with supervisor

Teaching Experience: private tutoring

Research Interests: no f***'in clue

SOP: pretty good, my adviser took a look

Other: female, 21 years old, transfer

Applying to: more or less the top 10

Concerns:

Formal math. I audited topology and taught myself real analysis.

Type of Undergrad: Queen's University, Canada (Top 40, depending on where you check.)

Undergrad GPA: After conversion, 3.75/4.0: Econ 4.0/4.0, math 3.7/4.0

GRE: 790Q, 530V, 5.5 AW

Math Courses: Calc I,II, math major stream (mms) Calc III, mms probability, statistics, mms abstract algebra, mms differential equations, mms real analysis I, mms real analysis II, stochastic models in operations research

Econ Courses: Standard package in the 300/400 levels, MA mathematical econ, MA Financial Theory, MA financial derivatives, MA Cost benefit analysis.

Letters of Recommendation: 1 Johns Hopkins, 1 Boston U, and one fairly extensively published and quite influential finance prof. Funny, his alma mater is not one anyone would think would be big, but he's made a name for himself, at least so he says.

Research Experience: RA for one term.

Teaching Experience: private tutoring for 7 years.

Research Interests: Financial Economics, Micro

SOP: Standard.

Other: Male, 21 years, applying to Ph.Ds just for a larf, but figures he's destined for a master's for now, and has Queen's as a backup.

Applying to: Ph.D: Northwestern, UCSD, Cornell, Penn; M.A: LSE, UBC, Queen's.

Concerns:

Math Grades. I didn't have pre-reqs to do the mms stuff, and I suffered a bit with it.

Type of Undergrad and Grad.: Best University in my country

Undergrad GPA: 4.0/5.0 (economics)

Graduate GPA: 4.8/5.0 (inf. technology and math) Graduated the best student of 100

GRE: 790Q, 350V, 3.0 AW :hmm:

Math Courses: 8 different (best student in all of them)

Econ Courses: not as good as math :(

Letters of Recommendation: not American. 1. from my dean 2. my research adviser (may be known) 3. Professor I co-authored paper with

Research Experience: 6 years full-time, in my university, field studies...

co-authored 4 papers and 2 course materials (textbooks). ( all about real estate)

Teaching Experience: tutoring for 5 years, and TA 2 years

Research Interests: Real estate, Urban economics, Developing

SOP: Standard.

Other: Female, 21 years.

Applying to: Ph.D: from Harvard......... to Temple (Sum= 18 ) :2cents:

Concerns:

Undergrade Grades. Verbal GRE