Urch Forums

Roll call! Fall 2007 applicants

polkaparty

Time to stop lurking around and post my profile. Hopefully it'll be useful for someone in the future...

Undergrad: Decent LAC in the Northeast. Econ/International Studies Major, didn't do almost any math while there (just intro to math for economists). Enrolled in math classes on the side while working full time in NYC for the past few years to beef up the profile.

Undergrad GPA: 3.75/4

GRE: 790Q, 650V, 5.5A

Math Courses: Intro to math for economists during undergrad (A+) and Intro to Probability and Stats, undergrad level (A+), , but nothing else. At Columbia U School of Continuing Education - Calc II and III (B+/A), Linear Algebra (A-), Intro to Probability, grad level (B+). Rather skimpy preparation compared to most of the TMians...

Econ Courses: Took a whole bunch of upper level classes on offer in my college, including econometrics, and thoroughly enjoyed them all, doing reasonably well. Unfortunately B+ in both micro and macro theory.

Letters of Recommendation: Two from my profs from college, enthusiastic I think, but neither of them publish much since they're at a teaching college. One from my boss at work (economic consulting firm) who is an economist by training, but also doesn't publish in academia.

Research Experience: Independent research project senior year, but nothing published.

Teaching Experience: TA for a principles course sophomore year, tutor for 3 years for micro and macro principles.

Research Interests: Macro, development, international finance...

SOP: Typical "why I want to do an Econ PhD and how I think I'm prepared for it".

Concerns: Recommenders aren't well known, from top institutions, and haven't done much research. No real analysis or any math higher than that.

Goals: IMF/World Bank/etc. Might have been a little dumb to mention this in the SOP, since a lot of the schools care about their placement.

Applying to: UVA (admit - money?), UCSB (admit - money?), Duke (reject), Northwestern, Boston University, GWU, Georgetown, NYU, Columbia, Princeton (MPA), Yale (MA).

Other: I applied last year before taking Linear Algebra and the grad Probability. Got admits to UVA and Penn State, but no funding. Got full funding at Fordham but decided not to go cause of personal financial reasons and cause they've never placed anyone at either the IMF or World Bank. Also got an admit at GWU, but they offered funding only on April 30th, by which time I'd already renewed my lease, told my boss I'm staying another year, etc etc and couldn't really up and go anymore. Fingers crossed for better luck this year with the money!!! The admits without money to me are just a more torturous way of rejection...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: leading school in asian country.

Undergrad GPA: 3.79 overall, 3.92 in econ, 4.0 in math.

GRE: 800Q, 730V, 4.5 AW.

Math Courses: full year calculus, full year math analysis, lin algebra, diff eq, topology, real analysis, math stat, reg analysis (all A+).

Econ Courses: econ major.

LoR: 1 econ, 1 stat, 1 math.

Research Experience: RA experience on issues related to macro.

Teaching Experience: macro.

Research Interests: monetary, metrics.

Concerns: no critical research experience.

Applied to: Berkeley, Stanford, Northwestern, Upenn, NYU, Columbia, UW-Madison (admitted), UCSD, UCLA, Cornell, Caltech.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 5 Private US University

Undergrad GPA: 3.79 overall, 3.79 in econ.

GRE: 800Q, 530V, 5.0 AW.

Math Courses: Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis, Stochastic Processes, Computational Finance.

Econ Courses: Advanced Micro Theory, Advanced Macro Theory, PhD levels Econometrics I and II, Mathematical Game Theory, Financial Theory, General Equilibrium Theory, American Economic History, Development Economics, Economics of Poverty, 2 Semester Senior Thesis.

LoR: 3 econ, all from famous, senior professors.

Research Experience: RA for 1 year, Senior Thesis for 1 year. Prize for outstanding thesis.

Teaching Experience: Tutored Economics, Physics, and Math.

Research Interests: Labor, Health, Political Economy, Econometrics.

Concerns: I guess my GPA could be a little higher.

Applied to: Harvard, MIT, Yale(Admitted $$$), Princeton, NYU (Admitted $$$), Columbia, Chicago, Northwestern, Stanford, Berkeley.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top Israeli University (Israel is an anomaly in that it is a tiny country but the universities are extremely strong in economics). I was in this university only from the 2006/7 academic year, before that i did a year in the openu in israel because i was in the army and wasn't allowed to enroll in normal universities.

Undergrad GPA: double major in math and economics. 90% math average, 97% economics average in openu

96% math and 97% economics in my present university.

GRE: 800Q, 800V, 6.0 AW.

Math Courses: Calculus 1,2, Linear algebra 1,2,(took those in openu, the rest are from wher i am studying now) Intro to Probability, Set Theory, Combinatorics and Graph Theory, Complex Analysis, Cooperative game theory (but still taking 6 more math courses this year to finish my degree)

Econ Courses: Intro to Micro, Intro to Macro, Intermediate micro 1, 2, 3, Intermediate macro 1,2, econometrics, Theories of distributive justice (currently taking graduate micro instead of electives to finish of my undergraduate degree)

LoR: 2 from economists (one of whom has a joint appointment in my university and NWU) 1 from mathematical game theorist. all pretty well known in their fields , none know me well beyond the grades i got in their class. i don't think they were overly enthusiastic, but i think thats good, because the adcoms are probably very suspicious of overly enthusiastic recommenders.

Research Experience: none

Teaching Experience: none

Research Interests: micro and games

Concerns: i have only completed 2 years of university before applying.

Comments: i think the most important part of my application is that i received the provost award in my university which is basically an award they give to one person per department in my university, so i got the dean of the faculty to write me a letter that i was chosen out of 1200 people studying economics. I think this is the most important because everyone here has great grades and great gre scores, but the adcoms want something besides that that signals that you are special. just my opinion.

Applied to: Harvard, MIT, Yale, Princeton, NYU (Admitted $$$), Columbia, Chicago, Northwestern, Stanford, Berkeley.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: top 30 Econ program, state university, B.S. Econ w/minor in math

Undergrad GPA: 3.7, 3.8 econ

Type of Grad:

Grad GPA:

GRE: 720/ 510/ 5.0

Math Courses: Calc series, advanced multivariable calc, differential equations, matrix algebra, linear algebra, real analysis, math stats

Econ Courses: lots- including advanced micro and macro

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation: 2 from well known grad profs, 1 from boss at econ consulting firm. I know 1 prof and ref from boss were strong, unsure about the second prof.

Research Experience: 2 years at research intense econ consulting firm

Research Interests: international econ, development

SOP: ok- a little too sappy and possibly coming off as naive

Other:

RESULTS:

Acceptances: Virginia

Waitlists:

Rejections:

Other: Cornell, UW, UBC, UT, Penn State, Syracuse, BU

What would you have done differently? Taken the GRE earlier so that I could retake and get higher scores in Q and V. Not taken math stats, which was grad level and taught absolutely horribly (new prof, grade scale changed 3 times after class failed each exam), my only C.

Type of Undergrad: Mathematics-Economics (2 in 1 -LSE External@Istanbul)

Undergrad GPA: 3.62

GRE: 790Q, 360V, 3.5 AW.

Math Courses: Adv. Calculus, Adv Lin. Algebra, Abstract Math, Adv Mathematical Analysis, Mathematics of Finance and Valuation, Mathematical Economics,

Econ Courses: Interm. Micro, Adv. Micro, Interm Macro, Optimisation Theory, Game Theory, Interm Econometrics

LoR: in the pool; 4 econ, 1 math, all nice people :)

SoP: A good but longer one

Research Experience: none

Research Interests: micro, games, choice

Concerns: no research experience

Comments: Most of advisors(!) told me not to apply just after the undergrad, but I want it now.

Applied to: Cornell, Duke(reject), UVa(admit), Rice, Rochester, Pittsburgh, UNC-CH, UCIrvine, USCalifornia, BostonU,

• Like 1

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 5 private U.S. university

Undergrad GPA: 3.74

GRE: 800q, 670v, 4.5w

Math Courses: multivariable calculus, linear algebra, topology, advanced probability, optimization, real analysis (this semester)

Econ Courses: ...many...

Other Courses: ...not too many.. :(

Letters of Recommendation: 1 famous economist, 1 well-known economist, 1 from humanities prof.

Research Experience: 2 summers + thesis

Teaching Experience: I've got some...

Research Interests: macro, pol. economy

SOP: I've been told that it's quite good, not that it matters though

Applying to: 8 out of the top 15 schools + 2 more

Goal: Happiness

Concerns. math and bad selection of schools. I should have applied to more schools between 15 and 40. I played risky

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 10 liberal arts school

Undergrad GPA: 3.62 (3.69 Econ)

GRE: 790q, 610v, 5w

Math Courses: multivariable calculus, linear algebra, probability, differential equations, statistics, intro analysis

Econ Courses: 13 classes, including 7 at the highest undergrad level and math for econ:(

Letters of Recommendation: 3 economists, none well-known

Research Experience: R.A. at fed and consulting

Teaching Experience: Tutor for economics

Research Interests: economics, but my SOP says macro

SOP: Elaborated on my research experience and interests. Some of them I mentioned profs at the schools, some of them I didn't.

Applying to: 13 top 30 schools, NSF

Admitted: Austin, Davis

Concerns: GPA, lack of something interesting to say to distinguish myself from everyone else.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Small, not very well-known LAC

Undergrad GPA: 3.99 Business admin major, Econ minor

GRE: 780q, 620v, 5.0w

Math Courses: multivariable calculus, linear algebra, diff eq, real analysis (2 sem.), math stats (2 sem. w/ Casella&Berger)

Econ Courses: intro micro/macro, intermediate micro/macro, IO, statistical analysis for econ

Letters of Recommendation: 2 fed economists, 1 undergrad finance prof.

Research Experience: 2.5 yrs as Fed RA, a couple undergrad publications in crummy journals

Teaching Experience: TA for a couple semesters in UG

Research Interests: macro, int'l trade and finance

SOP: pretty standard...try to explain away the weaknesses and accentuate the positive

Applying to: WUSTL, Maryland, UVA (admit), Boston College, Boston U, UNC, Duke (reject), UT Austin, Arizona State (admit), Brown, Vanderbilt (admit), Georgetown

Goal: Research univ. or a good LAC

Concerns. Business undergrad degree instead of econ, math, or something else looked favorably upon

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Small University in Europe

Undergrad GPA: 9 / 10 (which only around 1% of all students got during the last years)

Type of Grad: same school

Grad GPA: 9 / 10 (at time of application)

GRE: 790Q, 360V, 5.0AW (I know my GRE verbal score really sucks)

IBT: 113/120 (my English is not that bad after all)

Math Courses: Linear Algebra, Analysis I and II, Probability Theory, Mathematical Statistics, Operations Research, Optimization, Differential Equations, Stochastic Processes, Programming

Econ Courses: Econometric Methods, Time Series, Panel Data, (Intermediate) Micro, (Intermediate) Macro, Game Theory, Auctions, Mathematical Econ, Monetary Econ, Finance, Asset Pricing

(those are all I can think of)

Letters of Recommendation: 3 profs I had several classes with, 2 mathematical econ, 1 econometrics. I am currently working as a RA for the metrics prof. I am pretty sure that they are very good.

Research Experience: Research assistant during the last year, undergrad thesis (which I will present at a conference in April, and hopefully publish afterwards), grad thesis

Teaching Experience: Tutor

Research Interests: (Time Series) Econometrics, Macro

Concerns: I was really worried about my GRE verbal score. At least my Toefl and AW scores are decent.

Applied to: Harvard, MIT, Yale, Northwestern, UPenn, NYU, BC, Berkeley, Brown, JHU, Maryland, Toronto

I've been lurking on this forum for a while to get news about admissions, so I guess I should contribute something.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 25 Public US University with good economics department

Undergrad GPA: 4.0 in all coursework (majors in economics and philosophy, minor in math)

Masters: N/A

GRE: 800Q, 800V, 4.5 AW

Math Courses: Calculus I, II, and III, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis, Mathematical Modeling, Differential Equations, Complex Analysis, Numerical Methods (A's or A+'s in all these classes except for 2 in progress).

Econ Courses: Undergrad: Mathematical Micro, Intermediate Macro, Econometrics, Game Theory (A+'s in all these classes), plus a bunch of random irrelevant field courses.

Graduate: Just PhD Econometrics I (A+).

Letters of Recommendation: 3 from economists, all with solid reputations, all of whom I've taken classes with and been supervised by on independent research projects.

Research Experience: 2 years working as a research assistant to a faculty member. Empirical paper under review in a decent journal. I've also done two other econ programs at my school that involve substantial independent thesis projects.

Teaching Experience: None, except for tutoring

Research Interests: Mostly public policy economics and labor economics; also a bit of econometric theory.

SOP: Not much to say here; I guess it was fine.

Other: Male

Goals: Probably academia, though I wouldn't mind being involved in public policy for the government at some point.

Concerns. I didn't come from an Ivy like many people applying to the same schools, and I don't have intense graduate math like topology or measure theory. I'm also not really fond of my 4.5 GRE Analytic Writing score.

Applying to: NYU (Admit $), Duke (Admit $), Yale (Admit $), Columbia (Admit but no $ 1st year), UChicago (Admit $ level one), Northwestern(Admit, no word on $ yet), Harvard(Waitlisted), MIT(?), University of Maryland(?), Stanford(?).

Due to popular acclaim (i.e., Olm), I'm re-posting my profile at the Econ PhD forum. Hope I will get in somewhere!!!

- International applicant (latin america)

- Undergrad (BSc) and MA in Economics from the best university in the country.

- Very strong in Econometrics, and TA for Stats/Metrics for UG, MA, PhD and MBA courses for years.

- Decent math/stats background; sadly, only self-taught Real Analysis (Rudin) and Topology (Ivorra). Probability theory at the level of Spanos's "Statistical Foundations of Econometric Modelling", taken at grad econ.

- Took PhD level micro, macro and metrics

- Quite a lot of research. Sadly, most are empirical papers, and in subjects as varied as Demographic Economics, Business Ethics, Implicit valuation of attributes (hedonic pricing), Growth, Family Businesses, Econometrics. This is because I work as a junior researcher at a local B-school, so I have to work on any assignment that is put in front of me.

- TRUE research interests: Econometrics on one side, IO/Micro on another.

- A great LoR from a professor at a top-30 US B-school who held a Visiting position here and to whom I RA'd.

- Other great LoR's from professors who know me really well who are economists, and not that well-known internationally.

- GRE less than stellar: 780Q, 550V, 3.5AWA (did not have time to prepare or retake)

- GMAT decent: 50Q, 37V, 710 Overall

- TOEFL *really* less than stellar: 99 iBT

Concerns: The superhigh probability of not getting in anywhere. I thought I was a competitive applicant, to at least get admitted somewhere funded.

Guest Blondin

Hi everyone,

I discovered this website two days ago, and I'm really getting mad now, checking updates every two minutes.. I guess it's fair to share my profile:

Type of Grad School (1): Top UK masters in Econometrics and Math Econ

GPA: Merit

Type of Grad School (2): French engineering school, specialized in Stats

GPA: N.A, but scored above 70% on most courses with 100% in metrics, time series

GRE: 800Q, 470V, 4AW

IBT: 112

LORs: 2 or 3 from the UK (1 teacher in contract theory, 1 in game theory,1 in corporate finance). 1 from France (top French econometrician)

Research experience: none

Teaching experience: undergrad metrics in the UK. Undergrad micro and macro in France.

Work experience: 1 1/2 year in economic consulting (london and paris)

Fields of interest: micro theory

Concerns: No RA experience. Did not get the distinction to my masters program (missed it by 2%). Getting rejections...

Applied to: Harvard, MIT, Northwestern (rejected), UPenn, Columbia, Berkeley, Princeton, Yale (rejected), Stanford, Chicago, UCSD, UCL, LSE

Applying to: Toulouse

Hey all! I've been reading the threads for over a week now, and decided it's time to join in! :)

• International applicant (Europe)
  • Maths/Econ undergrad (BA, joint honours)
  • lots of maths (Analysis I & II, Algebra I & II, Probability/Measure Theory, ODEs) and statistics (Prob & Stats I & II, GLMs, Classical & Bayesian Inference)
  • No research
  • Interested in lots of things, monetary and growth theory and econometric theory probably topping the list
  • Enthusiastic LORs from my professors (they actually convinced me to apply)
  • GRE 800Q, 620V, 5.0AWA
  • Top of my class (almost all subjects firsts)

Applying to:

NYU, Duke, Chicago, NWU, Stanford, Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Berkeley, MIT, Oxbridge, LSE.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Ivy League (2nd tier econ dept)

Undergrad GPA: 3.9

GRE: 800Q, 720V, 5.0 AW

Math Courses: Calculus I (A), II (A), and III (A+), Linear Algebra (P), Real Analysis (A), Differential Equations (A), Statistical Inference (A)

Econ Courses:

Undergrad: Intermediate Micro (A+), Intermediate Macro (A+), Econometrics I (A) and II (A), Game Theory (A+), Population Economics (A), Economic Growth(A)

Graduate: Development (B), Labor and Population (A) -> I just got the A last fall and it doesn't count!!!

Letters of Recommendation: All 3 from junior faculty, 2 of whom I've worked with as an RA

Research Experience: Participated in a summer research program

Teaching Experience: None, except for tutoring

Research Interests: development, labor

SOP: Nothing special, but I don't think it was bad

Other: Female

Goals: Probably academia

Concerns: I took linear algebra my freshman year before deciding to get an Econ PhD and chose to took it pass/fail because I screwed up the first test, would have gotten an A+ in the end if I had switched back to getting a grade (not sure if getting an A in Real Analysis would help undo the damage); getting a B in Graduate level development while indicating that my research interest is development; all LORS from junior faculty

Applying to: Yale (reject), U Penn (reject), UC Berkeley (reject), Harvard(?), MIT(reject), Stanford(reject), Princeton(?)

At this point I don't think I'll get in anywhere, but I just wanted to share my profile for the sake of current/future applicants.

pessimist, your profile is strong. I think there are only 2 weaknesses, your B in a grad course and the fact that the LORs are all from junior faculty, i think you need at least one from senior faculty especially since you are in a well known university the adcom might be wondering why you didn't get those.

other than that i think you do have a chance to get into a top school, i just don't think you applied to enough schools. if you would have applied to all the top ten (or fifteen) schools I would think you would have gotten in somewhere. that being said, you still might get in somewhere this year.

I can't take the waiting - still no definite replies, so I'll waste some time by stopping lurking and posting a profile.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: LSE Econ

Undergrad GPA: 1st Class

GRE: 800Q, 570V, 4.5 AW

Math Courses: Algebra/Calculus (Pass), Abstract Math (1st), Math Econ (1st)

Econ Courses: Intro Econ (2.1), Mathematical Micro (1st), Intermediate Macro (1st), (v tough) Econometrics (3rd), International Econ (1st), Game Theory (2.1), Monetary Econ (1st), Advanced Econ Analysis (1st)

Letters of Recommendation: 2 from professors, 1 from research student, one probably pretty strong, one talking about math which should be pretty good, 3rd one unlikely to tell them very much

Research Experience: none, no thesis

Teaching Experience: None

Research Interests: International Macro

SOP: Decent for some schools, not so good for others

Applying to: MIT (?), Columbia (Reject but nothing official yet), Berkeley (?), UBC (?), LSE (?), Oxford (?), Cambridge (?), Warwick (?)

I'm posting this for all the other people out there intimidated by all the people getting big bucks from top 10 universities... there are average PhD applicants out there too!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 35 private US university; strong in Econ Theory

Undergrad GPA: 3.68 overall; 3.4 in Econ (had a bad senior year, give me a break!)

GRE: 770Q, 570V, 4.5 AW

Math Courses: Calculus I, II, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Basic Stats class (All A's)

Econ Courses: Undergrad: , Intermediate Macro (C+), Econometrics (B), Intermediate Micro (A-) Public Finance (B), One mandatory Econ intro and one Econ History class

Graduate:N/A

Letters of Recommendation: 1 From the macro/micro prof explaining my Micro grade was more descriptive of my ability; 1 from a Political Science prof who knew me well and I did independent research with; 1 from my Diff Eq prof

Research Experience: N/A

Teaching Experience: N/A

Research Interests: Mostly applied micro; Development Economics; specifically in Francophone Africa so I can use my French language ability to collect original data

SOP: Stated how I'd spent 1 year working for corporate america, 1 year volunteering with Americorps which spiked my interest in Development, and 1 year teaching english in France to improve my language skills

Other: Male

Goals: Probably academia, though I wouldn't mind being involved in think tank or agency work at some point.

Concerns. I've been accepted to my top 3 choices; but now I have to choose between lots of money/no TA responsibilities versus better prestige and possibility of no funding... decisions are tough to make!

Applying to: UIUC and Michigan State (these two are straight Econ PhD's and I haven't heard anything), Cornell AEM M.S. (accepted, no $), Penn State Ag Econ M.S (accepted, 14k), Ohio State AED PhD (accepted, 15k w/no TA responsibility first year), UW-Madison AAE PhD (accepted, no funding info yet)

• Like 1

Hello! Just delurking!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Tier 1 US Liberal Arts College

Undergrad GPA: 3.79 overall (Magnu Cum Laude with high honors in Economics); 4.0 Econ (Math, Economics double-major)

Distinctions: Phi Beta Kappa, Departmental Award in Economics, Undergraduate full scholarship and fellowships

GRE: 790Q, 560V, 5.0 AW

Letters of Recommendation: 3 Economics professors (Thesis advisor, econometrics, development)

Research Experience: Undergraduate thesis (unpublished)

Teaching Experience: N/A

Research Interests: Applied micro -- labor, demography, development

SOP: I was told that it's most important to sound sane... I think I can pass in writing!

Other: Female, US Citizen

Goals: Academia or think tank (Currently work for an economic consulting group.)

Concerns: Not worth dwelling on. :)

Schools: BC ($$), U Colorado at Boulder ($$), UVA (??), UCSD, UC Berkeley, Stanford, UMD, MIT, UPenn (rejected), Duke (rejected), Brown (rejected)

pessimist, your profile is strong. I think there are only 2 weaknesses, your B in a grad course and the fact that the LORs are all from junior faculty, i think you need at least one from senior faculty especially since you are in a well known university the adcom might be wondering why you didn't get those.

other than that i think you do have a chance to get into a top school, i just don't think you applied to enough schools. if you would have applied to all the top ten (or fifteen) schools I would think you would have gotten in somewhere. that being said, you still might get in somewhere this year.

Why would a B in a grad course be bad? I thought no one cared about grades in PhD courses.

Why would a B in a grad course be bad? I thought no one cared about grades in PhD courses.

Why would you think that? It's true that grades are not that important in PhD classes if you are a PhD student. But if you aren't, grades in PhD classes are an important signal of your preparation for a PhD program.