Urch Forums

Roll call! Fall 2007 applicants

polkaparty

School: Florida State (UG) University of South Florida (Grad)

Major: Economics and Geography (UG) Economics (Grad)

GPA: 3.67 (UG) 4.00 (Grad)

GRE: 760q 520v 5.5AWA

Courses: At Fl State

Int. Micro A

Int. Macro A

Econometrics B+

Game Theory A

Math Econ A-

Economics of State Govt B+

Urban Economics A

Environmental Economics A

Principles Micro Honors B+

Principles of Macro A

Calc I Tested out of

Calc II Honors A

Calc III (F...attendence problem.....retook the class and got an A)

Linear Algebra F......missed second midterm

Probability Theory A-

At USF

Regulation/Antitrust A+ (Fl State did not give A+....at USF its optional if a prof wants to use it)

Math Economics A

Law and Economics A

Bridge to Abstract Mathematics A+

This semesters grades (not included in my applications)

Econometrics I A-

Development A-

Economics of Health A

Differential Eqn A

Spring Classes

Micro I

Aggregate Economics (Uses the Swedish guy's book)

Econometrics II

Essentials of Statistics (Basically Undergrad Math Stat at USF)

Summer Classes

Linear Algebra

History of Economic Thought

Research: None.....I do serve as a ta for principles of micro

LOR: 1 letter is excellent.....the others should be good but not great

Interests: Industrial Organization, Public Economics, Applied Micro

Schools:

Michigan State

Oregon

Connecticut

Florida State

Colorado

My Concerns:

Two undergraduate F's and lack of analysis classes.......I may be willing to spend an extra yr at USF to rectify this if Im not pleased with my offers. (Would take analysis, a grad stat class, Econometrics III, and Micro II in the fall if this is the case)......I may also retake my GRE next yr to raise quant...although Im happy with my AWA score and have heard people say that anything 760 and above is okay......but then again that may be outdated information.

Anyhoo, Im hoping to buy into the theory that if I go to a mediocre program and excel Ill be in good shape.

Goals: Professor at a research institution would be nice....but I wouldnt mind a position at a Liberal Arts college or a Bachelors/Masters university. I enjoy the teaching aspect so that wouldnt bog me down.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

School: Florida State (UG) University of South Florida (Grad)

Major: Economics and Geography (UG) Economics (Grad)

GPA: 3.67 (UG) 4.00 (Grad)

GRE: 760q 520v 5.5AWA

Courses: At Fl State

Int. Micro A

Int. Macro A

Econometrics B+

Game Theory A

Math Econ A-

Economics of State Govt B+

Urban Economics A

Environmental Economics A

Principles Micro Honors B+

Principles of Macro A

Calc I Tested out of

Calc II Honors A

Calc III (F...attendence problem.....retook the class and got an A)

Linear Algebra F......missed second midterm

Probability Theory A-

At USF

Regulation/Antitrust A+ (Fl State did not give A+....at USF its optional if a prof wants to use it)

Math Economics A

Law and Economics A

Bridge to Abstract Mathematics A+

This semesters grades (not included in my applications)

Econometrics I A-

Development A-

Economics of Health A

Differential Eqn A

Spring Classes

Micro I

Aggregate Economics (Uses the Swedish guy's book)

Econometrics II

Essentials of Statistics (Basically Undergrad Math Stat at USF)

Summer Classes

Linear Algebra

History of Economic Thought

Research: None.....I do serve as a ta for principles of micro

LOR: 1 letter is excellent.....the others should be good but not great

Interests: Industrial Organization, Public Economics, Applied Micro

Schools:

Michigan State

Oregon

Connecticut

Florida State

Colorado

My Concerns:

Two undergraduate F's and lack of analysis classes.......I may be willing to spend an extra yr at USF to rectify this if Im not pleased with my offers. (Would take analysis, a grad stat class, Econometrics III, and Micro II in the fall if this is the case)......I may also retake my GRE next yr to raise quant...although Im happy with my AWA score and have heard people say that anything 760 and above is okay......but then again that may be outdated information.

Anyhoo, Im hoping to buy into the theory that if I go to a mediocre program and excel Ill be in good shape.

Goals: Professor at a research institution would be nice....but I wouldnt mind a position at a Liberal Arts college or a Bachelors/Masters university. I enjoy the teaching aspect so that wouldnt bog me down.

Sorry for the delay!!!!

Italian, 22 years old...handsome!

GRE 800/540/2.5 (F..K!!!!)

TOEFL 107/120 (29R, 27W, 24S, 27L)

GMAT 640/800 + 3.5/6 (I know it does not matter)

Undergraduate

University of Napoli "Federico II" (TOP 10 in Italy)

Major: Economics

GPA: 28.12/30. Final mark: 110/110 magna cum laude (with high distinction).

Courses: Micro 28/30, Macro 24/30, Mathematical Methods (calculus and linear algebra more or less) 22/30, Stistics I 27/30, Statistics II 30/30, Econometrics 30/30, History of Economic Thought I and II 30/30, Public Economics 29/30, Mathematics for Economics (diff. equation, static and dynamic optimization) 27/30, Macroeconomic Policy 28/30 and Economic History 30/30.

Graduate

Joint degree: University of Pisa (TOP 30 in Italy) + Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies (School of Excellence for getting in which you need to win a public and highly selective competition and you need to have a Graduate GPA of at least 27/30 and no grades lesser than 24/30...but you get a FULL scholarship:2cents:).

GPA: 30/30. Final mark (expected) 110/100 magna cum laude (with high distinction).

Courses: Adv. Micro, Adv. Macro, Adv. Econometrics I and II, Advanced Statistics, Financial Economics, Adv. Industrial Economics, Theory of Choice under Uncertainty, Advanced Mathematics for Economics, Experimental Economics, Public Gooods and Public Choice, Economics of Naturale Reources all of them with 30/30; plus Game Theory 28/30 (Damn it!).

SOP good, I think.

VISITING POSITIONS/EXPERIENCE

Summer School at LSE in Industrial Organization and Competition Policy, final grade A+:D

Visiting student at University of Southampton (UK), enrolled in the following courses (I am waiting for final examination):

- Generalised linear models (MSc in Statistics)

- Applied Econometrics (Bachelor in Economics)

- Principles of Corporate Finance (Master in Economics and Finance)

- Advanced Topics in Macroeconomics (PhD course)

Visiting researcher at Ecole Normale Superieure (Paris), supervisor: Philippe Jehiel.

TA one semester, Undergraduate Micro, with funds!!!:tup:

Research my bahelor thesis on tax Evasion (which I sent as a writing sample); one discussion paper on Auctions and Takeovers; my master thesis that I'll write in Paris with Jehiel on Auctions and IO.

LORS

A lot of them: two were fixed while the others changed with respect to the university. The two fixed are from my academic tutor at Sant'Anna School (PhD at Essex) and from my LSE teacher (PhD at Yale). I expect the first one to be very very strong and the second at least very good.

The others are from:

- my undergraduate advisor at Napoli (PhD at Napoli), very strong.

- another professor from Napoli (PhD at Oxford), very strong.

- a math prof. from Napoli who is the dean of the Economics School, I believe strong.

- an Econometric Professor from Pisa who has some papers on Econometrica[clap], I hope good.

- my Corporate Finance Professor at Southampton, I believe very strong.

APPLYING TO MIT, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, NYU, UCSD, Berkeley, Brown, Duke, Chicago, BU, BC, Northwestern, Stanford, UPENN.

Scholarships and Awards

- Two years full scholarship and housing in the Sant'Anna School Campus.

- Teaching Assistantship.

- Scholarship as exchange student (ERASMUS).

Interests

Micro, game theory, Auctions, IO, Contract Theory and Mechanism Design, Applied Metrics.

Concerns

My low writing score in the GRE; I have some concernes about some of my LORS; the School I picked are ver very selective.

GOAL The Nobel Prize...

That's all...I just have to wait like everyone.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL,

Anto.

GRE 800/510/3.5

TOEFL 112/120 (30R, 28W, 24S, 30L)

Undergraduate Charles University in Prague, best school in my country, top in central Europe, I guess

1) econ BA, GPA 2.8

2) math BA, GPA 2.45 (beat that :devil:)

Graduate Charles University econ, 3.75

VISITING POSITIONS/EXPERIENCE

-Summer School at LSE in Advanced Macro, (A)

-Visiting student (ERASMUS) at University of Paris I Pantheon-Sorbonne (FRA), GPA cca 3.8

Research I hope strong, internship in Czech central bank, one my paper awarded and I was offered to publish it in Czech impacted journal, but I still want to work on it a bit

LORS should be strong, one from thesis advisor, he promised to write it very strongly, but I am am afraid he lost some addresses where to send it :doh:, second from senior guy in nation bank, last from another prof. All know me well and for some years... but they are not very know internationally

APPLYING TO reaches: Columbia, Michigan, Cornell, Maryland, UNC, BU, BC, JHU, Rutgers, Georgetown, LSE masters, Ox mphil,

safeties: Charles U, Cerge

Scholarships and Awards

- Scholarship as exchange student (ERASMUS)

- Czech Economic Association Young economist 2007, third prize (paper sent as writing sample)

Interests macro (esp. monetary policy), theory, methodology & history of thought

Concerns obviously low undergrad GPA (lowest here?) I explained it in my SOP (I was doing two separate programs at the time, which was the only was how to study both, blablabla, but the fact is, that after I finished my math degree my econ grad GPA is good).

GOAL Ideally go back and work at czech national bank and teach at my alma mater. but who knows...

The majority of the schools are reaches, but I am offered place in the bank (while doing phd here) which I prefer to lets say top60 programs, so if I am rejected life will go on...

good luck everybody :clover:

Type of Undergrad: NYU

Undergrad GPA: 3.4/4.0

Major: Double in Math and Econ

GRE: 780Q, 640V, 4.5 AW

Math Courses: Calc II-III (A-,B), Diff Eq ©, Linear Algebra (A-), Discrete Math (B-), Vector Analysis ©, Abstract Algebra (B-), Number Theory (B), Math Modeling (A), Real Analysis (A), Transformatio & Geometries (A-)

Econ Courses: Macro, Micro (A, B), Int Macro, Int Micro (B+, A), Statistics (B+), Money & Banking (B+), International Econ (B+), Global Economy (B) Labor Econ (A-), Experimental Econ (A)

Letters of Recommendation: 2 math professors (real analysis and math modeling) 2 Econ Instructors (former Phd students) and 1 from work (economist who taught at Columbia and NYU)

Research Experience: Sadly, none. NYU is too big of a school.

Teaching Experience: Grader for Linear Algebra

Research Interests: Using experimental economics to examine international trade patterns.

SOP: Pretty solid, nicely written (maybe a bit gushy) and reviewed by professor. Tried to show that I'm damn motivated and bright.

Other: Female, 23 - Worked in consulting for 1.5 years.

Weaknesses: Obviously, my up and down math grades that are all over the place. Overall, low GPA, but I tried adding in the SOP that I worked long hours and commuted to pay for tuition, plus I had a bad injury. I am proud of what I accomplished given what I had. Also, I have no research experience and I worked in economic/litigations consulting for a 1.5 years before applying.

Applying to: I'm going for do-or-die. I realize I may not get into anything...

Columbia, U Mich, LSE, Johns Hopkins, MIT, NYU (Please take me alma matter!!!), Boston College, Cornell, Boston U, Brown U, Rutgers, UBC.

Good luck to everyone!!!

Undergrad: Top 20 Private US University

Undergrad GPA: 3.77/4.0

Major: Double Major in Honors Mathematics and Economics

GRE: 800Q, 600V, 5.0 AW

Math Courses: Honors Calculus I-IV (A,A,A,A), Honors Linear Algebra I-II (B+,A-), Intro to Probability (A), Honors Algebra III (A), Honors Analysis I (A-), Graduate Topology I (A-), Graduate Optimization (A), Galois Theory (B+), Measure Theory (B), Functional Analysis (B+), Number Theory (A)

Econ Courses: Principles of Micro/Macro (A,A), Intermediate Micro/Macro (A,A), Econometrics (A), Game Theory (A), Graduate Micro I (A), Graduate Probability and Stats (A)

Letters of Recommendation: 3 from economists, 2 well known and one younger less well knonw professor

Research Experience: Summer Mathematics REU at William and Mary, RA for professor for past 2 years, Summer Fellowship for Undergrad Thesis work, Undergraduate Thesis (Theory Paper)

Teaching Experience: TA for intermediate micro

Research Interests: Micro theory and game theory, specifically mechanism design

Weaknesses: A bit low on some math grades, but these are all in graduate level courses, and the B's came while studying abroad in a rigorous math program in Hungary.

Applying to: Upenn, Caltech, Wisconsin, Yale, Columbia, Duke, Chicago, Northwestern, Harvard, MIT, Princeton, NYU, Stanford, Illinois

School: top 50 (public university)

GPA: 3.59 cum, 4.0 major

GRE: 770q 590v, 5 AWA

Courses: standard econ courses (all A's), as for math: calc I (A), calc II (A), calc III (A), linear algebra (A), probabiltiy theory (A), mathematical statistics (A)...that's it!

Teaching: taught english abroad a little bit, while this wasnt my primary job I filled in spots at universities where they needed the help.

Research/RA: currently work at a thinktank and have co-authored 3 papers so far during my time here in applied econ/health/labor econ. have made presentations at conferences too, but that doesn't seem to help much...

LOR: I'd say two are very strong but am a little unsure about the third one. a little bit nervous about that!

Interests: applied micro, development, labor

Schools: BU, wisconsin (econ and ag econ), university of washington, ucla, berkeley, michigan and penn state.

My Concerns: I'm not too confident I'll get into anywhere because after I have read some of the messages on this board, I feel like my math background is pretty inadequate. I also feel like my GRE's arent necessarily stellar compared to some people on here... Biggest fear is that I'll get into somewhere without funding--what a tease.

I'm probably this year's class goat (primarily because of my GRE quanti score), but what the heck, I'm posting anyway. If I get an admit, I'd be (extremely) happy to report back to the group.

GRE 730/590/5.0

digression-->I took the GRE late in November; there was no chance for me to study and retake to improve my score, so I'm hoping against hope with a 730quanti score. Also, I'm a Fulbright nominee (and thus, with guaranteed funding) so I'm really hoping adcoms won't throw my application straight to the bin in the first round (or in all the elimination rounds for that matter.)

TOEFL 116/120 (30R, 30W, 28S, 28L)

Undergraduate

University of the Philippines (Top in my country)

GPA: hard to convert; cum laude (with honors)

Courses: All US standard economics courses

Graduate

University of the Philippines

Major: Economics (with MA degree; currently PhD candidate)

GPA: hard to convert; near 4.0 if converted

Courses: (All A's) Advanced Micro I, II, III, Adv. Macro I, II, III, Adv. Stat, Econometrics I, Adv. Math Eco, Public Eco I, II, International Eco I, II, Monetary Eco, Industrial Organization,

Math Calc I, II, III, Linear Algebra, one semester stat,

SOP pretty good and honest

TA - teaching fellowship,one semester, graduate microeconomics and graduate applied microeconomics

Research two years fulltime in top government thinktank; one summer in congress as an undergrad

Publication one in a refereed journal in my country (top national journal)

LORS

2 excellent, 1 great (from professors who are graduates of Yale, Northwestern and Standford)

Scholarships and Awards

- Best undergrad thesis (university and national level)

- Two years full scholarship (for PhD studies)

- One semester teaching fellowship

Interests

Economics of institutions

Other guy 24 years old.

Concerns

Obviously, my low GRE quanti and weak math background

APPLYING TO Berkeley (as a lottery ticket), Maryland, UMich, UWash, George Mason ++

GOAL any decent (top 100) US university please!!

GRE: 800Q 720V 4.5AW(doh) (2nd Attempt)

Undergrad: Good but not brilliant research university

High 1st Class Degree

All Maths and Econ Courses 1st in 12/14 including all maths

2nd in class

Math: Max possible with an econ degree

SOP: I suspect pretty lame

Experience: Two years as government economist

Interests: Growth, Development, Trade

Applied: Brown, Columbia, Harvard, Oxford, NYU

Concerns: No masters, middle ranking university, applied only to a few scools all of which are pretty competetive,

School: University of California- Davis

Major: Economics and Applied Mathematics

GPA: 3.30

GRE: 760q 670v 6.0AWA

Courses:

Intermediate Macroeconomics: A+

Intermediate Microeconomics: A-

International Macroeconomics: A

International Microeconomics: A-

Public Finance: A

Econometrics: B+

Intro to Graduate Macroeconomics: A+

etc. etc.

3 Quarters Multivariable Calc: B, C+, B

Linear Algebra: C+

Differential Equations: C+

Advanced Linear Algebra: B

Nonlinear Differential Equations and Chaos: A

Real Analysis: B, C

Optimization: A

Numerical Analysis: B+

Commutative Algebra: B+

Combinatorics: B

Extensive use of C Programming, MATLAB and MAPLE

Teaching Experience: Tutor in macro/micro economics, SAT/GRE Teacher for test preparation company

Research: Built a Market Research Model using econometrics in summer 06'

LOR: Hopefully all great, 2 Econ (Berkeley, UCD), 1 Math (U Chicago)

Interests: Macroeconomics, International Trade

Schools:

Brown

U Michigan

Johns Hopkins

U Maryland College Park

Duke

Boston U

UC Davis

Georgetown

ASU

USC

Purdue

Penn State

My Concerns:

Not enough research experience. Lackluster early math grades (I was terrible at math when I embarked down this road), but hopefully made up for by success in my later courses.

Goals: Consultant or banking industry, followed by lecturer at any university after my tenure in the private sector.

School: Top 30 private research university

GPA: 3.97

GRE: 800 Q, 510 V, 6 AWA

Econ: Intermediate Micro/Macro, Econometrics, Game Theory, Public Economics, Math for Economists (graduate) and a bunch more-- all A's

Math: Calc I-III (A's), Linear Algebra (A), Probability and Statistics (A), Intro to Proof Writing (A), Real Analysis (in progress), Differential Equations (in progress)

Research: 1 year RA for prof in my field of interest, Thesis paper

Interests: Public Finance

LOR: 2 senior well known, 1 junior

Weaknesses: no real analysis, got started late on math.

Schools: MIT, Berkeley, Chicago, Michigan, Wisconsin, Duke, Columbia, Brown, Stanford, Maryland, and a few more

I'm applying to PhD in Public Policy schools but for a very econ-focused course of study. Have nowhere else to post so here goes....

School: top 10-15 national university (US)

GPA: 3.72 (3.95 last 2 yrs)

Econ GPA: 3.90

GRE: 740 Q, 660 V, 5.5 AWA

Econ Courses: Intermediate Micro/Macro, Econometrics + a dozen more

Math Courses: Calc, Stats (2 semesters), Linear Algebra, Multivariate Calc

Terminal MA in Economics (top-10 department)

Plus additional graduate coursework in Advanced Econometrics at top-25 department (course grade: A)

Research: 2 yrs of research for well-known economic & social policy institute

Other: 4 publications in journals in related field + several more working papers & co-author on a number of technical reports. Extensive experience w/ applied research/applied econometrics

Schools: Berkeley (Goldman), UChicago (Harris), Princeton (WWS), Harvard (KSG), UMaryland, Duke (Sanford), Carnegie Mellon (Econ & Public Policy)

Undergrad: Private US University

Undergrad GPA: 3.99/4.0

GRE: 800Q, 510V, 5.0 AW

Math Courses: Calculus I-III (A), Linear Algebra (A), Statistics (A), Advanced Stats (A), Diff Eq. (A)

Econ Courses: Principles of Micro/Macro (A,A), Intermediate Micro/Macro (A,A), Econometrics (A), Industrial Organization (A), International (A)

Teaching Experience: TA for principles and intermediate micro

Research Interests: Industrial Organization

Applying to: Caltech, Wisconsin, Yale, Arizona, Brown, Washington U, Vanderbilt, North Carolina, Virginia, Purdue, Boston College, Texas A&M

School: UBC

Major: Econ (Hons)

GPA: 3.5 (3.98 upper-econ, 3.98 math (excluding failed calc 1))

GRE: 800q 480v 5.0 AWA (despite the awful verbal I am native English speaker / English background)

Courses:

Econ:Hon micro/macro I (A+'s) Game Theory (Hon) A, Hon Macro II A+, + intro metrics I/II (A+) + lots electives (mostly A+)

Math: Calc 1 (F first time then A), Calc 2, linear, multivariable, ODE's, probability(calc based), intro proof A+'s intro analysis A

Now Taking: Honours Thesis, Advanced Macro, Econometrics

Research: Thesis

LOR: 3 Assistant Profs, I say mediocre since I had no special relationship, just took their classes.

Interests: Macro, Int trade/finance/development.

Schools:

Decided to apply only for Masters:

LSE, UCL, Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, UPF, UBC, Toronto, Queens, UWO, Stockholm.

My Concerns:

First year really sucked, second year was average. Only have 1.5 years of good grades.

Goals: Not sure if a PhD is right for me, thats why im going for Masters. Would like to do work that I feel is really making an impact, which is why I could see myself working for an int'l organization/central bank or even private sector. Academia has not been ruled out though.

School: GWU, grad classes at Univ Pittsburgh

Major: Econ

GPA: 3.6 (3.9 upper-econ)

GRE: 790q 500v 5.5 AWA

Courses:

Econ: Micro, Macro, Money & Banking, Econometrics, Trade, Int'l Finance, Public Finance, Econ of the EU, thesis prosem (all A's)

Math: Calc 1 & 2 (A) Calc 3 (A-) Lin Algebra (A-) Real Analysis (A) Multivariate Analysis (A), 2 additional prob and stat classes (A, A-)

Research: Thesis, undergrad Research Assistantship with economist, currently grad research assistant and T.A. in public policy dept for a macro economist, 3 years of research experience

LOR: professor I currently work with, and two profs from undergrad including thesis advisor...strong letters and each known in their respective fields, but only one of their fields is the same as mine

Teaching: T.A. for Econ for Public Affairs and Macroeconomics in Public Policy dept.

Interests: Micro, labor

Schools:

Applied to: Wisconsin-Madison, Michigan, Ohio Sate, Texas-Austin, Georgetown, Maryland, UNC, Duke, Iowa, Cornell, Colorado-Boulder, Illinois-UC

My Concerns:

Not as much math background as most other people

Goals: ya know, be an Economist...

International Student

GPA: 3.23 Major GPA:3.72 (%7-8 at my department)

GRE: 800Q-330V-4.0 AWA

Econ Courses: Microeconomics Theory, Macroeconomics Theory, Public Finance, Econometrics, Financial Markets and Institutions

Math Courses: Calculus I-II, Statistics I-II, Math for Econ I-II, Operations Research, Decision Support Systems, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra

Other Courses :Risk Management, Corporate Finance, Portfolio Management, Investment Analaysis

References: One from a famous person( good one), One is a professor that I took Operations Research(excellent one), one is head of economics departmen(a good one)

Schools:

University of Virginia

Purdue University

University of Houston

North Carolina State University

Washington State University

Boston College

CEMFI (MA)

Carlos III (MA)

Undergrad school: Top Master's Degree Granting US college

Majors: Math and Econ

GPA: 3.81 (overall, similar for math and econ). 3.95 overall past four semesters

GRE: 780 math, 530 verbal, 5.0 writing

Econ courses: Intermediate Micro (A-) and Macro (A), Econometrics (A-), Advanced Econometrics (A), Consulting (A), Natural Resource (A), Labor (A-), History of Thought (B), Capstone Course (A), Game Theory (A)

Math courses: Calc 1-3 (A, A, A-), Linear Algebra (B), Computers and Numerical Algorithms (A), Intro to Proofs (Discrete Math) (A), Optimization (A-), Nonlinear Dynamics (A), Mathematical Game Theory (Independent Study) (A), Abstract Algebra (A)

Currently Taking: Abstract Algebra 2, Advanced Calc (real analysis), Evolutionary Systems, honors thesis (math), research project (econ)

References: 2 math, 2 econ. None of them are well-known, but all of them know me pretty well.

Research: First author of a forthcoming paper in a mid-tier mathmatics (dynamical systems) journal. Second author of a paper to be sent to a mid/upper tier mathematics (math bio) journal. Working paper with an econ faculty member on sports econ.

Teaching: TA for two semesters of intro econ classes (1 micro, 1 macro).

Interests: Game Theory, Dynamical Systems, Ecological economics, Natural Resource Economics.

Schools: MIT, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Chicago, Upenn, Brown, Cornell, UVA, Duke, Johns Hopkins, George Mason

My concerns: My reference letters aren't from well known faculty.

School: International (2006)

Major: Electrical Engineering

GPA: 3.9/4 (WES)

GRE: 780q 640v 3.5 AWA

Courses:

Econ: none

Math: Extensive engineering math..matrices, probablility & statistics, difference eqns, complex variables, functions limits and continuity, ODEs, PDEs, applications of ODEs and PDEs, harmonic analysis, wavelets, neural networks, fuzzy logic, random variables and stochastic processes, monte carlo methods, functional analyisis

Research:1 Applied Math Paper published, 3 months at public sector R&D center.. both unrelated to economics.

LOR: Math Prof, Physics Prof , Electrical Engg Prof

Teaching: none

Interests: Development, Econometrics

Schools: Only for Master's

Applied to: LSE, NYU, Duke, Michigan, UIUC, Boston University

My Concerns:

Zero Econ courses

Goals: explore the field, find my interests, become a strong PhD candidate

-BA Econ at Pomona College

-3.9 GPA (magna cum laude, phi beta kappa, award for best econ student)

-All As in econ classes (includes econometrics, game theory, advanced micro, advanced macro)

-Calc I-III, vector calc, linear algebra (B+), diff eq

-800Q/680V/5.5AWA GRE

-co-authored publication in Journal of Wealth Management (shitty journal)

-Amazing LORs (going to a LAC I got to be good friends with my professors, seems like they said I was the best in years)

-2 years in econ consulting at CRA International

-Applied to Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Yale, Columbia, Berkeley, Stanford, Northwestern, UCLA, UCSD, Minnesota

-Got into Minnesota with $, waiting to hear from the rest