Urch Forums

Roll call! Fall 2007 applicants

polkaparty

Type of Undergrad: Top 5 US college

Undergrad GPA: overall 3.9 dual degrees in econ and math

GRE: Q 800/ V 560 / AWA 3.5 (Auchh!)

Completed Math Courses: All A’s AP Cal, Multi Cal, ODE, PDE, Matrix Algebra, Linear Algebra (proof based), Theory of Probability (cal based), Real Analysis, and Complex Analysis

Completed Econ Courses: intro econ(A), micro I (A), micro II (B+), macro analysis (A) (I think they are intermediate level), money and banking (A), development econ (A), financial econ (A+), game theory (A), international econ (A), optimization (covered some optimal control theory) (A+), econ stat (A), intro to econometric (A), applied econometrics (A-), and adv econometric (A+) (multinomial probit, tobit, panel data and all the heteroskadisticity stuff), and grad micro phd-core (A)

Other Courses: Stochastic Modeling (A), Optimization (linear and dynamic optimization) (A), programming class (JAVA) (A), finance (A), grad level optimization (A-).

Letters of Recommendation: I expect a good LOR from the well-known Prof. I have been RAing for, other two from the classes that I did well in, and the other one from my adviser.

Research Experience: an RA for two summers and this year, honors thesis (in progress)

Teaching Experience: none (grader for proof-based linear algebra class, if that counts)

Research Interests: financial econ and monetary econ

Schools: most of them are in top 15

My concerns: 3.5 AWA

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Type of Undergrad: Big Ten School

Undergrad GPA: overall 3.0 degree in Econ

Type of Grad: mid size - Liberal Arts school - terminal master econ program

Grad GPA: 3.9

GRE: Q 770/ V 410 / AWA 5.5

Completed Math Courses: Calc 1-2, Multivariate Calc, Diff Eq, Stats, Prob, Real Analysis

Completed Econ Courses:Micro, macro, metrics and many others

Letters of Recommendation: Strong LOR's from two AEA Summer program prof.and two strong LOR from my home university

Research Experience: One research project with professor from a Big Ten school and also with the AEA Summer Program. Currently working on research project.

Teaching Experience: Teach Principles of macro and also TA for advance micro and metrics

Research Interests: Alot of stuff

Schools:

Michigan

Cornell

Brown

Duke

Maryland

Texas at Austin

Iowa

Texas A&M

Boston College

Rice

Houston

SMU

My concerns: Undergrad GPA, I have strong LOR so maybe that may help

Economics with math minor

School: A university in east asia (first two years)

A well-known state school in the U.S. (the rest of my undergraduate)

GPA: 3.64/4.0 (the first two years)

3.96/4.0 (in the U.S.)

Graduated in last December with Summa Cum Laude and PBK

GRE: 650/800/3.5

Econ Courses: three courses in econometrics, Game Theory, Intermediate Micro and Macro, and other courses (all A's except A- on Game theory)

Math Courses: Linear Algebra, ODE, Foundation of Math, Real analysis, Measure theory, Functional Analysis, Topology, Linear Programming, Probability, Math Stat (all A's)

Experience: TA for one semester, Honors thesis

LOR: three econ professors in my u.s. school. Only one of them is fairly well-known. Supposedly, they are very strong. One of the professors showed me his letter for me, and it was unbelievably amazing. One of the other professors told me that he would write a glowing praise for me in his letter.

Schools I applied to: TOP 5 schools + HBS and Stanford GSB econ + a coulple of others.

Type of Undergrad: Top 10-20 US Public School, Large research institution, with top 30 PhD program.

Undergrad GPA: 3.62 overall, 3.81 Econ, 3.4 within Math minor

Grad: None

GRE: 780Q/600V/5.5

Math Courses: Calc I-IV(2 semesters multivariable), Linear Algebra, Fundamental Mathematics(intro proof), Stats and Probability, Real Analysis

Econ Courses: Intermediate Micro/Macro, 2 semesters Econ Stats, Econometrics, Development Econ, International Econ, Public Finance, Govt Regulation of Econ Activity

Letters of Recommendation: 2 Econ, 1 Math, all very strong, mix of well known and not really known, older, younger. all PhDs at very good schools for their fields.

Experience: extensive independent research paper under faculty supervision(one of my LOR), garnered nomination for graduation with distinction within economics

Schools Applied to: Not many, we'll say 3-5+, for personal reasons I could not commit to moving anywhere to go to school until it was way late in the game.

Would like some feedback here on whether I should take any possible spot in Canadian MA program(applied to 2 of top 4) and reapply another year, or go ahead and take a spot in the top 30 program I am fairly sure I will get into because of my LOR. My worry is that while an MA will be valuable, I may not actually care too much about the difference in placement from say top 15 school vs the top 30 school, especially considering I would probably re-apply to the same top 30 school again after a year long MA program. This will of course also depend on what my real chances of getting into say a top 5 if I did a M.A. or just waited a year and re-applied without anything more than maybe a few classes more in math or grad econ without actually graduating in May.

Worries: I don't really subscribe to putting so much emphasis on any one point of a profile, but I don't really have nearly much of a clue of what my chances would be at tougher schools to get into. Need help and or encouragement in that regard.

Type of Undergrad: WUStL

Undergrad GPA: 3.57 Overall, 3.67 Econ

Grad: None

GRE: 780Q/660V/4.5A

Math Courses: Calc 1-3, Linear Algebra, Diff Eq, Statisticsx2, Real Analysis

Econ Courses: Intermediate Micro/Macro, Game Theory, Development Economics, Hierarchy and Organization (Theory of the firm), Open Economy Macro, Mathematical Optimization (used M-W-G), Grad level Probability and Statistics, Grad level Micro (used M-W-G), maybe another few less rigorous ones...

Letters of Recommendation: Two from profs at school - an established Harvard Phd and a younger Yale Phd, both knew me pretty well and had taught the grad level classes I listed above. The other was from my boss (Phd Harvard) at the econ consulting firm I've been working at for the past year and a half. I suspect he's well known in the econ consulting world, but not much outside of it.

Experience: 1.5 years econ consulting. Written some research papers, which I wrote about in my SOP, but nothing published.

Schools Applied to: Harvard, NYU, Columbia, Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, Brown, Caltech, Texas - Austin

Worries: I've been admitted to Austin and promised funding well earlier than I really should have so I don't have any real worries other than that my recommenders must have said I can lay golden eggs or something. I wanted to put up my profile as encouragement to anyone with blemishes on their profile. Hell, you could pick on every part of my application, but somehow Austin not only wants me, but wants to give me money. Just want to say if it can happen for me, it can most definitely happen for you.

Ruskie: Не знаю, о чем ты - по-моему у тебя профайл один из лучших на форуме. Слабоватый GPA, но зато ты закончил один из лучших универов США (с grad. курсами!), а это гораздо важнее. К тому же самое главное - это отличные рекомендации, которые у тебя есть наверняка. Так что ничего удиветельного в том, что тебя приняли в Texas-Austin нет =))

Huh???

I was just fooling around, TruDog - Ruskie means Russian, so I replied to his message in Russian. I got a warning for it, however, so better watch myself next time!

Translation: "The GPA might be a bit weak, but you graduated from one of the best unis in the U.S. (with grad courses!), which is more important. And the most crucial thing is to have great recommendations, which you probably do. So there's nothing surprising about your Texas-Austin acceptance."

Type of Undergrad: Public university in US, not a top school

Undergrad GPA: 3.98

Majors : Econ:business analysis, Finance, and math minor

GRE: Q 800/ V 370 / AWA 4

Completed Math Courses: Calc 1-3, Linear Alg, Real Analysis

Letters of Recommendation: from my profs, which should be good, but they are not well known

Research Experience: Just thesis for my classes. Teaching Experience: Totor intro to stat

Research Interests: developmental econ, and macro

Schools:

Harvard

Johns Hopkins

U of Minn

U of Ill

Vanderbilt Phd

Vanderbilt GPED

UBC

Boston college

Iowa State

Concern: Super low verbal and writing might kill me. Doesn't have as many econ and math class as others(there's not grad level class for econ offered at my school)

Hi Everyone...since I've been "lurking" around this forum, I decided I should probably post some basics as well! Good luck to all :)

Undergrad: Small Liberal Arts (Not Well-Known), Majors: Econ/Poli Sci, Minor: Math, GPA 3.8

Grad (1): British University, Econ MPhil, GPA N/A

Grad (2): Top-Ranked, Poli Sci Masters, GPA 3.8

GRE: 800 (Q), 710 (V), 5.5 AWA

Interests: Theory, IO, Financial Economics, Metrics, Political Economy

Schools: MIT, Stanford, Yale, Harvard, U Chicago, U Virginia, Oxford (DPhil), Oxford (DPhil Financial Economics), Cambridge

Concerns: I didn't really apply for any "safe schools"....:smack:

School: top ten us liberal arts '07

Majors: econ, math

GPA: 3.5

GRE: 790q 630v 6.0 aw

Econ: micro, macro, monetary, mthm'cal econ/mtrics

Math: all calc, real & complex analysis, dif-e-q, etc

Research: honors thesis, extended undergrad work, articles at current research position, paper currently under review at academic journal

Positions: econ research assistant as undergrad, government research agency as undergrad, private sector research position currently

LOR: 2 econ professors i worked with, math professor

Teaching: economics ta, econ/math tutor

Interests: monetary, political economy

Schools:

Chicago, Berkeley, Columbia, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio Sate (admit), UCSD, Boston U, Virginia (admit), Brown, Johns Hopkins

Goals: liberal arts professor

School: International, Latin America; top of my country, each year placing a student in top uni

BA: economic tehory

MA: economic tehory

GPA: 8.4/10

9.1/10 (i.e second of my class, first graduated)

GRE: 800q 550v 4.0 aw (does aw matters) :doh:

Econ: all of it

Math: calc, real analysis, measure theory, linear prog, higher algebra

Research: published thesis (school journal)

Positions: working at an economic consultancy as research analyst, before research assittant @ my school

LOR: I guess strong ones; one pretty famous (appears on wikipedia :tup:) from a top 30 school; one from warwick university; one from my school. I took classes with everyoone of them

Teaching: economics ta

Interests: IO Auction and Game T

Schools:

8 top schools, 2 which I really liked (rochester washington@sl)

Goals: researcher

Concerns: waiting is killing me!!!

Hi Guys....it is pretty cool to have somewhere to share the tension of waiting... Good luck to everyone!!

Undergrad: Top Brazilian University - GPA 8.9

One year of undergrad done at UCBerkeley - GPA 3.7, major 3.9

Grad: Same Brazilian University - GPA 8.7 - award for highest GPA at a class of 18 (the class has the top 1 percentile ranked students in the nation, top 15 out of 1500 on the natinal admission exam)

GRE: 800 Q/480 v/4.0 aw

Toefl: 117 out of 120

Math: T.A for undergrad calculus for 2 years, T.A for real analysis/linear algebra and optimization for first year grad students

Research: senior undergrad thesis published in pretty pretigious book in Brazil...all ather authors PHD from top US schools, master thesis plus being R.A since second year undergrad

Letter of rec: who knows...my advisor who I been working for 3 years ( Stanford Phd) other professors of my field of interest ( macro and international econ) who I was top student in the classes and presented my masters research to

Schools where I am applying: Princeton, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, UCBerkeley, Columbia, UCLA, ucsd, NYU, Chicago, Northwestern, Yale, UPENN,

Other: earned the fulbright scholarship for the Phd, so fulbright is applying for 5 of those schools for me and there I am free of charge...Fulbright will pay tuition and give me money for 4 years....

Concern::: what if I dont get in anywhere??????Only applying to top schools...no back up

Type of Undergrad: Large state university, econ program ranked very low

Undergrad GPA: 4.0

Type of Grad: Currently enrolled in econ masters at a public university

Grad GPA: 4.0 through first semester

GRE: 800Q, 690V, 6.0 AW

Math Courses: Undergrad: Calc 1-4, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Real Analysis; Grad: Topology, Optimization (IP)

Econ Courses: Undergrad: All the standard intro/intermediate, econometrics, electives; Grad: Micro, Macro, Econometrics

Letters of Recommendation: All three are from economists and should be very positive. Nobody famous, that I know of...

Research Experience: Summer RA for econometrics professor, currently an RA for a couple of professors working in applied micro

Teaching Experience: None, except some grading

Research Interests: Applied micro, development, trade

SOP: I don't know...

Other: American male

Applying to: Stanford, Yale, UCSD, Brown, Maryland, Michigan, Berkeley ARE, Wisconsin AAE, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, UC Davis

Goal: Professor at a research university, for now

Concerns: Undergrad university is not well-known, but I don't lose any sleep over it. Mostly just concerned I'll go insane before all the admissions decisions trickle in.

Type of Undergrad: Fairly good ugrad place w/ top 15 econ phd

Undergrad GPA: 3.82 (4.0 since start of jr year)

Majors : Math and Econ

GRE: 800Q 520 V 4 AWA

Completed Math Courses: Calc 2, 3 (A, B+), Diff Eq (A-), Lin Alg (A-), Prob (A), Theoretical Stat (A), Stat Computing (A), Modern Alg (A), Adv Calc (what is normally called RA) (A), Topology (A)

Completed Econ Courses:Principles 1, 2 (A, A-), Intermediate Micro, Macro (A-, A-), Adv Thry (A-), Metrics (A), Honors Seminar (A), Hnrs Research (A), Behavioral Econ (A), Game Theory (A+), Phd. MicroThry II (A+)

Letters of Recommendation: 4, all should be very good, all know me well. Worked closely w/ 3.

Research Experience: 2 main projects. Thesis may be published in a fairly good journal

Teaching Experience: Created my own freshman seminar on economic paradoxes, Math tutor for a long time too

Research Interests: Micro, either applied or theory (what ever keeps me from working at a real job for 5 more years)

Schools: MIT, Harvard, U Chi, Stanford, Princeton, Berkeley, Yale, Penn, NWU, NYU, UCLA, Columbia, LSE (1 yr EME), Umich, UCSD, Caltech and Phd in Bus Econ at NYU Stern

Type of Undergrad: Small-Medium state school, no econ grad program.

Undergrad GPA: 3.7 (Economics, Information Systems double major)

Type of Grad: Currently enrolled in a MA Econ. program, top 15 school.

Grad GPA: 3.5-ish with a semester to go.

GRE: 770Q, 760V, 6.0 AW

Math Courses: Undergrad: Calculus, Linear Alg., Set Theory. Grad:Taking Real Analysis at the time of admissions. Did not have perfect grades in these. Taking math econ class probably helped make up for it.

Econ Courses: Undergrad: Micro/Macro/Metrics/Electives Grad: Stats, Game Theory, Adv. Micro, PhD Micro (this was probably crucial), Macro, Research Seminar, Econometrics, Math Econ.

Letters of Recommendation: 2 from grad instructors, one of whom I did research for. The other has a reputation for writing strong letters. 3rd is from the dept chair in undergrad.

Research Experience: RA at the Fed for a year, two papers (one completed, one working). The working paper is relatively sophisticated.

Teaching Experience: Tutoring while an undergrad, TA for graduate Urban Econ.

Research Interests: Applied Micro, Public, Urban

SOP: Specialized for each school, naturally. Talked about my past experience, explained my transcript, talked about dissertation topics, faculty I wanted to work with.

Applying to: Chicago, Berkeley, Duke, Davis, Brown, Syracuse, UI Chicago

Concerns: From my admits so far, should have taken a shot at MIT.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Econ major at a US state university with top 200 Econ grad program (ie not very strong).

Undergrad GPA: overall GPA: 3.6; econ: 3.9 ; math:3.7.

GRE: 800Q, 520V,AWA 5.5

Math Courses: Calc sequence (A), Differential equations (B+), Linear Algebra (B+), Probability Theory (B), MathEcon w/ S&B (A)

Econ Courses: The basic sequence of things.

Grad classes: MathStats w/ Casella (A), Econometrics sequence (A)

Letters of Recommendation: thesis advisor, econ prof I graded for, 2 Economists from work.

Research Experience: Undergraduate thesis, 2 years RA at the Fed.

Teaching Experience: Grader for undergrad and grad Simon&Blume course

Research Interests: IO, public, political theory.

SOP: didn’t really spend much time on it.

Concerns: Not stellar pedigree. Not great grades. No Analysis.

Schools: UCal, Yale, Chicago, Northwestern, Brown, Michigan, BostonU, Maryland, Virginia(admit), UNC, Duke.

Type of Undergrad: Top 30 US research university

GPA: 3.95

GRE: 800Q/740V/6.0AWA

Math courses: calculus sequence, linear algebra, diff. eq., math stat (A-), abstract algebra intro, math for econ (A-), analysis tutorial.

LORs: economics tenured faculty from my undergrad university

Teaching experience: one sem. TA, grader, tutor for micro principles and stats.

Research experience: 2 years in consulting and quantitative policy research.

Interests: international trade, labor economics, less probably development and industrial organization.

Concerns: relatively sparse math preparation, not famous undergrad/letter writers, A-'s in math stat, intro to econometrics and another quant class.

Programs: Harvard, Princeton, MIT, Yale, UPenn, Michigan, Berkeley, Northwestern, Cornell, Brown, Columbia, NYU

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Maths degree in a good European university (with fellowship in its honor college)

Type of Grad: Maths Master in a joint program with a top research institution in my country, attending this year an MPhil in economics while I wait aswers by the States

Undergrad GPA: overall GPA: 4.0; econ: ? ; math:4.0.

GRE: 800Q, 700V,AWA 5.0

Math Courses: Everything you can think about :) (really, about 20 undergrad courses, 15 grad, with some at PhD level)

Econ Courses: Almost nothing (I'm attending this years a few micro, macro and econometrics courses directly at grad level)

Letters of Recommendation: two maths prof (my thesis advisor and an international summer school prof) and an econ prof from one of the courses I had to take at the undergrad honor college

Research Experience: Not much, a bit in a joint program of neurobiologists and mathematicians for my thesis (I think my advisor wrote something about it)

Teaching Experience: none

Research Interests: Game theory, behavioural modelling in social and economical phenomena.

SOP: didn’t really spend much time on it, just a kind of short bio to explain my movements from pure maths to maths applied to biology and finally to economics.

Concerns: Quite a strange curriculum, not too sure about the LORs.

Admitted just today: CalTech (a good match for my interests :tup:)

Applied: NYU, Harvard, Chicago, MIT, Oxford, LSE.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Econ major from a developing country (the leading econ school at the country). Plus a Master from a US public policy school.

Undergrad GPA: overall GPA: 3.07; econ: 3.5.

GRE: 780Q, 530V,AWA 4.0

Math Courses: 2 semester undergrad math econ plus math camp prior to starting my master's.

Econ Courses: The basic sequence of things.

Grad classes: Micro, macro, stat/econometric sequences, plus some graduate electives.

Letters of Recommendation: thesis advisor, 2 grad econ prof I graded for, an Economist from work.

Research Experience: Undergraduate thesis, master's final paper, 5 years working in policy research.

Teaching Experience: part-time lecturer for the past 5 years.

Research Interests: development, health, labor.

SOP: standard why and what.

Concerns: not-so-great GPA for both undergrad and grad.

In:

Reject: Duke (2/13), Virginia (2/18)

Not yet: Brown, Umich, Wisconsin (AAE) ,Cornell (AEM), Harvard (Health Policy), UNC (Health Policy), Oxford (Devt. Studies).

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Big land-grant school public school in the south.

Undergrad GPA: 4.0 Electrical Engineering

GRE: 780Q, 690V, 6.0 AW

Math Courses: Standard EE u-grad math courses. Incl Calc, real analysis, stats, etc.

Econ Courses: Intro Micro/Macro

Letters of Recommendation: Good letters. Not from economists.

Research Experience: 3 semesters, in bioelectromagnetics.

Teaching Experience: 2 semesters.

Research Interests: Micro, game theory

Other: American Male.

Concerns. Lack of econ background. Letters coming from non-economists.

Accepts (so far):

Rejects (so far): Duke.

Undergrad study: Math/Econ major from liberal arts college

Undergrad GPA: overall & major: 3.6

GRE: 770Q, 710V,AWA 5.0

Letters of Recommendation: math prof, econ prof, 2 economists who are my supervisors. Should be strong.

Research Experience: Undergraduate thesis, 2-3 years at research division in central bank

Research Interests: finance, applied micro

Concerns: GPA, GRE

Schools: Berkeley, UCLA, Columbia, Cornell, Yale, Michigan, Wisconsin, Maryland, Hopkins

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Math & Econ double degree from a public state university with a top 20 econ program.

Undergrad GPA: Overall 3.2; Econ 3.9; Math 3.2

GRE: 800Q, 550V, 4.5 AW

Research Experience: Undergraduate honors thesis, statistician for Dept. of Commerce since graduating in May

Concerns. a © in Analysis - The instructor is notoriously subjective when assigning grades, but it isn't easy to explain that fact on an application. I have adjusted my expectations accordingly.

Accepts (so far): Virginia (Thrilled!)

Rejects (so far):

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BS Econ from MIT

Undergrad GPA: 4.9/5.0

GRE: 800Q, 770V, 5.5A

Math Courses: Calc I & II, Linear Algebra, Probability, Econometrics

Econ Courses: Intermediate Micro / Macro, a couple semesters of game theory, various field courses

Letters of Recommendation: Two econ profs, neither of whom are well-known but both know me well (one was my undergrad advisor, the other was my thesis advisor). Third rec from a manager at my job (economic consulting firm). Pretty confident that all three are strong recs, but I assume the third will be discounted somewhat because it's non-academic.

Research Experience: Was an RA for a summer in a physics lab at MIT. Did an undergrad thesis my senior year. Worked for 1.5 years at an economic consulting firm doing semi-relevant work (lots of experience with Stata, Matlab, other programming languages)

Teaching Experience: Tutored undergrads in econ and physics at MIT.

Research Interests: Game theory, behavioral economics, political economy

SOP: talked about my past research work, briefly about why I want to go back to get a phd, in some detail about my research interests / ideas. about 1000 words total.

Concerns: Haven't taken as much math as a lot of other applicants. Uncertain how well the SOP will go over.

Admitted: CalTech

Applied, no decision yet: Harvard, Chicago, MIT, Northwestern, Stanford, Stanford GSB (Political Economy track), Berkeley, Princeton

School: undergraduate in a top public university of my country and Master in Economics at another private university with very good PhD placement

Major: Economics. GPA: 3.50.

GRE: 770q 310v 3.0AWA (Ay caramba!)

TOEFL: 607/660

Courses: Tons and tons of econ, math and econometrics but no formal real analysis.

TA: undergraduate courses in maths, macro, micro and econometrics.

Research: 3 applied papers and 1 on experimental economics.

RA: I was fellow during 3 years in one of the most prestigious think-tank in my country. In addition, I worked as a RA for a while to a visitng professor from UMich. Currently working at WB.

LOR: strong, I think it is my best asset.

Interests: Macroeconomics, development, trade and applied econometrics.

Schools: UCLA, Brown, Duke, Maryland, Texas Austin, UVA, NC Chapel Hill, Georgetown, UToronto, Boston College, Pompeu Fabra, Oxford and UCL

My Concerns: The cost of my wedding! :p My low GPA and Verbal GRE

School: One of the Top schools in my country

Major: Statistics

GPA: 3.4/4.0 (relatively low gpa... I never thought of studying in foreign country...)

GRE: 800q 600v 3.0 AWA (writing score is bad...)

TOEFL: 260 (W 4.0)

Courses

1) Econ: Principle of economics, Microeconomics

2) Math: Matrices, Probablility & Statistics, Mathematics for Economics, Calculus 1 and 2, Mathematical Statistics

3) Statistics: Regression Analysis, Multivariate Analysis, EDA, Time-series Analysis, etc...

Experience: I have been an economist in Bank for about 10 years... CFA charterholder (but no effects in admission)

LOR: Statistics Prof, Head of my research center(Phd in Econ), Senior research fellow at my research center(Phd in Econ)

Teaching: none

Interests: Development, Empirical Analysis

Schools: Only for Master's degree...

Applied to: LSE, NYU, Duke, UIUC, Umich, UMN-TC(applied econ), Cornell(applied econ)

Goals: expand my analytical skill

Admitted: UIUC

Pending: all other schools

Rejected: Not yet