Urch Forums

The Big 4 (Queens, UWO, Toronto, UBC) Academic Placement Comparison!

Olm

for western, Yvonne Adams mentioned that although they have sent some offers to several students, they are still going to send more this this month, March and April. She also confirmed about their recruitment schemes. I remember reading somewhere here that students who didn't even apply for MA Econ at Western were offered. This is true. For UBC, Maureen said that its on March and April. I havent heard from UofT, but the email I got from them mentioned something like March and April as well.

Btw, would you know the policies for Deferral of Admission? Just in case one decides to defer an offer for next year. The reason why I'm asking is I was thinking of working in a bank just for a year. Glad to hear from anyone. Thanks.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw, is it possible that

1) since I have taken a Master/Phd Level of Microeconomics, Can I exempt it when I do the Master? And is it good to do so?

2) I found that at UBC, MA students are doing MA( Micro, Macro and Econometics ), so students request to take the Phd sequence? Is it goo to do so??

1) I doubt you would get transfer credit for a theory course you took at another university.

2) I am almost sure (but could be wrong :hmm:) that the PhD sequence at UBC is for PhD students only. At places like Queens, MAs can do the PhD sequence (MA track 3 or something) or the regular MA courses, and at UofT students can do a PhD course if they pass the PhD math/stats review. I would call the respective schools for more details.

Btw, would you know the policies for Deferral of Admission? Just in case one decides to defer an offer for next year. The reason why I'm asking is I was thinking of working in a bank just for a year. Glad to hear from anyone. Thanks.

After you get acceptances, ask your top choice if you can defer for a year. But to work in a bank for a year? What for? Get your PhD and you will pay off those student loans fast; besides, Canadian schools are great with funding.

i dont know why you still want to do MA - you should really just go for PhD. btw i doubt you can be "exempted" from core theory courses - either you take MA or take PhD sequence.

I also want to go for Phd directly if an offer is given.

I already did Master Level Econometrics( year long ) with A- and Master/Phd Level Microeconomics 1 with A at my undergraduate institute.

I simply don t want to waste time to take them again.

I also want to go for Phd directly if an offer is given.

I already did Master Level Econometrics( year long ) with A- and Master/Phd Level Microeconomics 1 with A at my undergraduate institute.

I simply don t want to waste time to take them again.

For Canadian Schools, if you go to a PhD directly from undergrad, they make you take more electives and they increase the residency requirement by a year.

If you have a Master's degree, you still aren't exempt from the PhD sequence - you are expected to have done those courses, and you're expected to do them again!

The only way you can opt out of them at the PhD level is to pass the comprehensives, otherwise you're pretty much forced to take them.

for western, Yvonne Adams mentioned that although they have sent some offers to several students, they are still going to send more this this month, March and April. She also confirmed about their recruitment schemes. I remember reading somewhere here that students who didn't even apply for MA Econ at Western were offered.

I'm sure that this is true. A prof of mine mentioned that he was asked by the UWO about any potential students that would be considered good graduate candidates.

Hi!

What do you guys think about Simon Fraser University? Is it considered as a good place? Or a place that might become a good place in the future somehow? I didn't apply there but a friend of a friend of mine (who has a daughter called sissy who's best friend knows martin who's.... I know how it sounds..:)) was accepted there and I wanted to ask you for your honest opinion about their program, since he asked me and admittedly I didn't even know that there IS a university called SFU... any comment is highly appreciated.

Simon Fraser is one of the second tier schools in Canada. If you just want a PhD in econ to hit the private sector, to teach at a community college/teaching university or work for the public sector, it fits the bill perfectly fine. If you want to do serious research, I would go elsewhere.

Hi!

What do you guys think about Simon Fraser University? Is it considered as a good place? Or a place that might become a good place in the future somehow? I didn't apply there but a friend of a friend of mine (who has a daughter called sissy who's best friend knows martin who's.... I know how it sounds..:)) was accepted there and I wanted to ask you for your honest opinion about their program, since he asked me and admittedly I didn't even know that there IS a university called SFU... any comment is highly appreciated.

I have a generally positive impression of SFU. They probably aren't comparable to top 50 US departments, but they have some good faculty doing good work and frequently bring in good speakers to seminars (UBC often has joint seminars with SFU at their downtown campus). Take a look at what some of the faculty are doing to get an idea of whether it would be a good fit - quite a few people there have good publication records, though some of them are working on topics that are a bit off the beaten track, which cuts both ways. They seem to have a healthy group of younger profs, and do get some academic placements at research universities. Apparently it's a friendly department too.

• Like 1

Bumping this to the top, seeing as how decisions should be coming soon. I've also been "unofficially" rejected from UWO, but there is an outside chance I may slip in (very slight, as this year has been their most competitive year ever!).

Last year, Cassin was offered direct admission to the PhD program at UBC.

I don't know if you could try to negotiate this at UBC or other programs if they don't offer; I certainly plan to try if I get an admit in the US.

It's been done, just ask. It will be up to Mick Devereux (our grad director right now).

Bumping this to the top, seeing as how decisions should be coming soon. I've also been "unofficially" rejected from UWO, but there is an outside chance I may slip in (very slight, as this year has been their most competitive year ever!).

Just a short story: One of my profs attended UWO and got his UG education there (or his master? I don't know). Anyways after he completed his studies at UWO he applied to many top econ departments and he was admitted at U of CHicago (FUNDED!), Yale, Berkeley..etc. He also applied for the PhD program at UWO and he emphasized that he would turn down all other offers if he was admitted to UWO (since he liked the university... bla bla). ALL his letter providers were from UWO and guess what: He was NOT admitted... he finally went to Chicago and made a great career... so what is that telling you?

ALL his letter providers were from UWO and guess what: He was NOT admitted... he finally went to Chicago and made a great career... so what is that telling you?

Not sure... maybe the "overqualified so let's reject the application" theory? :hmm:

Anyway, the department at UWO has been working very hard to make it the top department in Canada with their hirings, the restructuring of their grad program (no more terminal MA, everyone gets funded), etc. UWO goes out of the way to recruit top students these days. I just hope I'm on the list :luck2:

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I thought I would revive this thread. I know we already have a Canadian one, but it may be efficient to save all of the Big 4 discussion in one thread for future references...

In my case, I am begging to Queens to give me an admission, when I have full funding from UBC. My profs and friends say I am crazy, and are begging me to take UBC. I just wanna stay close to my gf in Kingston.

Anyhow: More opinions regarding the big 4 are welcomed. After all, April is the month for Canadian Universities

I thought I would revive this thread. I know we already have a Canadian one, but it may be efficient to save all of the Big 4 discussion in one thread for future references...

In my case, I am begging to Queens to give me an admission, when I have full funding from UBC. My profs and friends say I am crazy, and are begging me to take UBC. I just wanna stay close to my gf in Kingston.

Anyhow: More opinions regarding the big 4 are welcomed. After all, April is the month for Canadian Universities

Hey, I've been on these forums for a few months and was accepted to UBC a couple weeks ago (more or less), this is a great way to get any new information about the big four, if there's any to share.

I plan to attend UBC and from what I've read over the last 2 years on this forum, the differences are marginal between the four programs. It seems to come down to 1) funding 2) location and 3) maybe faculty. But overall, the programs probably give each student the ability to shine as bright as each one chooses.

I have contacted some past and current UBC MA students and they have been very helpful, maybe some of that info can spill open in a more general setting.

I plan to attend UBC and from what I've read over the last 2 years on this forum, the differences are marginal between the four programs. It seems to come down to 1) funding 2) location and 3) maybe faculty. But overall, the programs probably give each student the ability to shine as bright as each one chooses.

This is very true. Queen's had admits at Stanford, Northwestern, NYU, Caltech, Toronto, JHU, BU, BC, UCLA, UCD (and Queen's!) this year, I know someone at UBC got a Berkeley admit, but don't know much else.

So yes, you should be good to go whichever school you choose. Keep in mind, these schools can only do so much to boost your profile - there is definitely some value added, but having a good undergrad background + contacts remains critical.

Would be cool to know how other people fared from UBC and Toronto this year?

I have a question here:

Most of us do a MA in order to beef up our profile right? Either to get into a PhD program when our profiles do not allow us to do so yet... or in most instances, improve it to improve our chances at the top 20s or even 10s.

And i guess to serve that purpose, one need to probably impress a prof or two to get some decent LORs.

How then can anyone impress any prof within like 4 months into the program since Nov and Dec is about the time when we do our applications to PhD???