Urch Forums

The Big 4 (Queens, UWO, Toronto, UBC) Academic Placement Comparison!

Olm

This is very true. Queen's had admits at Stanford, Northwestern, NYU, Caltech, Toronto, JHU, BU, BC, UCLA, UCD (and Queen's!) this year...

Also Duke, UWO.

Oh, and in terms of getting LORs in 4 months, that's always an issue. You really have to be outgoing and really stick your neck out.

Cheers,

Canuck

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also Duke, UWO.

Oh, and in terms of getting LORs in 4 months, that's always an issue. You really have to be outgoing and really stick your neck out.

Cheers,

Canuck

You managed to do that?

Anyway, any possibility of staying at either of the 4 univerisities after a MA for a year as a RA or TA... while one applies only in the cycle after the MA???

SO my Canadian classmates who received their offer from Queens had until today to reply.

I guess this is standard for many applicants, since they go their acceptance on the same day. I guess that after today, the internationals will begin to receive their offers.

Good luck guys

SO my Canadian classmates who received their offer from Queens had until today to reply.

I guess this is standard for many applicants, since they go their acceptance on the same day. I guess that after today, the internationals will begin to receive their offers.

Good luck guys

Ariel, are you talking about MA or PhD offers?

• 3 years later...

I'm looking to learn some economics at grad school. The Canadian MA works just perfectly for what I want. I was fascinated by the variety of courses UBC offered.

Does the UBC MA offer a Co-op option? That would be GREAT! Waterloo doesn't have a very well ranked Econ department, but they have Co-Op! Which should help me with getting a job. Its a tradeoff between an easier path to getting a job vs a better MA program.

However, I don't plan on doing an Econ PhD. I'm actually taking the CFA, and my goal is to kind of blend Equity Investing with International Macroeconomics. It is a very specific goal, and I don't plan on pursuing it immediately. Something REALLY long term.

Anyhow, in short, if my goal is to land a job post MA Econ in Canada, which program would be suitable? A lot of the Econ jobs seem to be in Ottawa at Bank of Canada, Other Government Departments. Some Investment shops would find an Econ background useful too.

Can anybody comment on how well UBC and Queen's place outside PhD programs? It would be of great great help. Thanks in advance.

Specifically Bank of Canada & Private Sector. Does being outside Ottawa have disadvantages, in that case?

• 1 year later...
Last year's MA-to-PhD placements were disappointing for UBC imo. Out of 6 applicants, 4 remained at UBC (2 also had Toronto offers) and 1 went elsewhere.

I'm interested in UBC's MA program, but I find that MA-to-PhD placements are not available on UBC's websites. I suppose most students in this program are evaluated by their undergraduate backgrounds when applying for PhD, because one semester in UBC may not add much to their research experience or knowledge structure. Maybe I'm wrong?

I'm interested in UBC MA programs, but i find that its placements and courses are not available on UBC's websites. I suppose that students are evaluated mainly by their undergraduate background when applying for PhD, because one semester in UBC' one-year MA programs may not add much to their research experience or knowledge structure. Maybe I'm wrong?

I'm interested in UBC MA programs, but i find that its placements and courses are not available on UBC's websites. I suppose that students are evaluated mainly by their undergraduate background when applying for PhD, because one semester in UBC' one-year MA programs may not add much to their research experience or knowledge structure. Maybe I'm wrong?

The VSE's course offerings are available online on their website.

And from what I've read here, unless your performance in a MA program is stellar, it does nothing but perhaps make you a safer bet than another undergrad applicant (which may be a good thing or a bad thing).