Urch Forums

For foreign pharmacists who graduated after 2003

notinal

Hi there, I am a 2008 BS Pharmacy graduate and a licensed Pharmacist... im new to this forum and just read about your post about CEU's clin phar... so they said that they could offer you a 1 yr clinphar course if your a 4yr BS pharma degree holder.. Im just wondering if you have any idea on how much is there tuition fee per sem for that program? and is it a sure thing to be accepted to write for the FP exam? im interested on applying for it bec it will cost me more if i try to take the additional 1yr course in davao or cebu because i don't know anyone from there... :D

hope to hear from you soon, thanks alot.. :)

For the University of San Carlos 1yr clin phar course for 4yrs BS pharmacy degree holders, i know someone who took that program and fortunately she was accepted to write for the FPGEE.

I am a graduate of BS Pharmacy at Adamson University this 2014, and is currenty taking BS Clinical Pharmacy (1 year program) at Adamson University as well this 2014. so basically i took it as a straight course to make it 5 years. I am planning to move to Michigan in 2016 after finishing the course and passing the board exams here in the Philippines. my question is, does US have accredited schools as well in this Clinical Pharmacy schools? if so, do u have an idea of the credited schools list so i could check if Adamson Univ. is among them? and are you already a pharmacist in the US and of which state? because i know the rules vary from every state. also this statement from Michigan Pharmacist Licensing Guide bothers me "Not even internships or extra coursework after graduation can count towards the 5-year minimum." since clinical pharmacy might be seen as an extracourse work after graduation toward the 5 yr minimun. Thanks! and really hoping for you response! xx

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad I found this thread!

I am a graduate from University of San Carlos. I graduated BS Pharmacy in 2010 and BS Clinical Pharmacy in 2011. I went back to the states (I am originally from California) in July of 2011 and applied for the FPGEE. The ECE confirmed my TOR and the FPGEC accepted it as well.

However, there was one problem: I was not licensed in the Philippines. They told me I can't sit for the FPGEE unless I am licensed from the country where I got my degree. So this past December I had to fly back here to Cebu and take the Pharmacy Board Exam. This was this past Sunday and Monday. Thanks to the Lord, I passed. Now I am going back to California and submitting my last requirement.

For those interested in BS Clinical Pharmacy (the 5th year) It is only offered (usually) every other year. So this year there is no 5th year program (Due to the fact that there needs to be at least 20 students for the program to run).

Those who are in the Philippines and would like to take a 5th year program, San Carlos will probably offer the program this June 2012. However, it really depends on how many are willing to enroll.

I will stick around in this thread and answer any questions anyone might have wherein my knowledge will be applicable =).

I am a graduate of BS Pharmacy at Adamson University this 2014, and is currenty taking BS Clinical Pharmacy (1 year program) at Adamson University as well this 2014. so basically i took it as a straight course to make it 5 years. I am planning to move to Michigan in 2016 after finishing the course and passing the board exams here in the Philippines. my question is, does US have accredited schools as well in this Clinical Pharmacy schools? if so, do u have an idea of the credited schools list so i could check if Adamson Univ. is among them? and are you already a pharmacist in the US and of which state? because i know the rules vary from every state. also this statement from Michigan Pharmacist Licensing Guide bothers me "Not even internships or extra coursework after graduation can count towards the 5-year minimum." since clinical pharmacy might be seen as an extracourse work after graduation toward the 5 yr minimun. Thanks! and really hoping for you response! xx

Accdg to NABP, if you are a a graduate after 2003, your pharmacy program/degree should have a curriculum of at least 5 years (post graduate courses and certifications excluded and will not count) for you to be accepted to take the FPGEE.

To answer your question, if this BS Clinical pharmacy degree will appear as a single diploma/degree then it will be accepted by NABP. but if you'll have separate diplomas/certificate (one for the BS Pharm and the other for the BS Clinical Pharm), then this will not be accepted by NABP as they will view this BS Clini Pharm as a post graduate coursework.

Btw, i'm also in from the Philippines from UST pharmacy, and i just got my intern license here in SC, as i recently passed the FPGEE exam.

hi nfabo,

This was really helpful for me coz i am thinking also of pursuing further studies to be able to sit for FPGEE. I graduated from UST BSP 2003, took the July 2003 board exam and fortunately i passed it...What if i took the 1.5yr BSP major in clin pharma in UIC and was able to finish d course, would there be any conflict with my PRC license bcoz it is from 2003 and i only graduated from UIC just this year (2013)? I read in the FPGEE website that you should be a registered pharmacist from d country of origin. thank you.

I dont think there would be... I was registered in 2007 when i graduated. Then finished clin phar in 2012

Lately I've been getting a bunch of email alerts from urch pm's etc. so i decided to check out the forums again and my messages... Boy oh boy is it good to see where it all started..where my journey started....

to shed some light on some questions I read.. There is no such thing as "credited schools list" your application is assessed based on your coursework and not your school. True, rules vary from state to state but getting approved for equivalency is through a national organization called NABP so it doesn't matter what state you're at. Your state laws will matter AFTER you passed the equivalency. i.e. in Nevada, you can take state board before internship in california you cant etc etc...

Some word of advice... Only go through this process if you really, truly and honestly believe in your heart want to be a pharmacist. Not because of the $$$$, but because of your true desire to serve and it is your absolute interest. First cause the process is long and tedious requires a lot of patience, investment of time and money. And second, once you become a pharmacist here, it does not end there..it's still an ongoing journey. In short, theres a reason why you're getting paid really good. Before you start the process, ask yourself if this is something that you really want to do. :)

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone! I just want to say thank you to whoever started this thread very helpful information!

I graduated in baguio with a BS pharmacy degree in April 2011, passed the philippine licensure examination in January 2012. Passed the PTCB exam to be a certified pharmacy technician in the united states in June 2012. And is currently working as a pharmacy technician in the united states since then. I'm interested in enrolling in the BS Clinical Pharmacy Program in UIC davao next school year! to be qualified to take the FPGEE here in america.

Can anyone on this forum give me more insight on the curriculum at UIC? where internships will be held? tuition? requirements? enrollment process?

Also has anyone on this forum who went to UIC, passed the FPGEE, now a licensed pharmacist in the united states?

your replies will be greatly appreciated

• 5 months later...

Hello notinal, have you made any progress so far? Also, how did you sit for the FPGEE if youre a philippine resident? Because it is to be taken in the USA, do you have a US visa? (please refer to my post about this question): http://www.www.urch.com/forums/fpgee/154997-fpgee-philippine-residents.html

Have you made any progress? Please share your experience and how you did each of them. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Hi! I would like to ask especially those who did BS Clinical Pharmacy from UIC and who did BS Pharmacy from another university, whether you need separate sealed transcript of records from each school or just from the recent (since the previous one will be transferred and regarded as certified true copy). I hope this makes sense. Thank you and God bless! :)

• 4 months later...
i took Toefl IBT exam for 33 times trying to be licensed pharmacist, as you know for that we have to score minimum score of 26/30 and if you are not native speaker it's almost impossible to score more than 22.23 or 24..this exam is polite way from americans and national board of pharmacy to tell all foreign graduates we dont need more pharmacist in america because the market is saturated,in 1990s and till 2003 when america was in need for pharmacist there was no english exam even and after they started having more pharmacist they came up with phone interview to assess your english fluency then toefl exam and lastly toefl ibt where they increase scores of (listening,reading,writing and speaking year after year)..stop wasting your money..this is just way from americans to make money and to let you take the exam again and again..same as they fail people in FPGEE exam and NAPLEX exam for so many times to just get money..

Hi Dear Friends,

I really appreciate this thread which makes me enthusiastic about FPGEE.

I am graduated B. Pharm ( 4 years) from Bangladesh in 2007 and then post graduate in Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacology ( 1 year) in 2008 from the same university. My ECE evaluation report says:

" US equivalent - "Bachelor of Science major in Pharmaceutical Sciences"

- "Master of Science in Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacology"

Should I proceed to FPGEE application ? ( Because It will cost $1200 ). Since FPGEE bulletin says they will consider post graduate degree only with clinical pharmacy experience. Could anybody please help me with this situation ?

Hi Dear Friends,

I really appreciate this thread which makes me enthusiastic about FPGEE.

I am graduated B. Pharm ( 4 years) from Bangladesh in 2007 and then post graduate in Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacology ( 1 year) in 2008 from the same university. My ECE evaluation report says:

" US equivalent - "Bachelor of Science major in Pharmaceutical Sciences"

- "Master of Science in Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacology"

Should I proceed to FPGEE application ? ( Because It will cost $1200 ). Since FPGEE bulletin says they will consider post graduate degree only with clinical pharmacy experience. Could anybody please help me with this situation ?

Just proceed with the application. It might take some time though and they might need you to submit additional documents. Besides, I think they do refund the payment for those who don't meet the requirements.

• 3 years later...

Hello.

Has anyone or would you know anyone who earned the degree of MS Pharmacy as well as graduated from a 4-year BS Pharmacy curriculum after January 2003 applied for FPGEC? I have earned both degrees from the Philippines after January 2003.

Would you kindly share the results of the evaluation? Were you allowed to sit for FPGEE?

Thank you.