Urch Forums

For foreign pharmacists who graduated after 2003

notinal

hi notinal! i'm new to this thread.:distracted: anyway, have u heard of CEU's 5-year Clinical Pharmacy? I just called the office of the Dean of Pharmacy of CEU, somebody told me that if you were a graduate of 4-yr B.S. Pharmacy, u only have to take the addt'l year to complete the 5-year requirement of the FPGEC. So, do you know anybody that has done that & was able to take that one big chance to take fpgee? thanks!

Hi Pinaypie! I heard about the 5-year program just before I was to graduate from PharmD. I wish I could be of help to you but I don't know anyone who took this program yet. Hope you'll find the answer to your query. all the best! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi notinal! i'm new to this thread.:distracted: anyway, have u heard of CEU's 5-year Clinical Pharmacy? I just called the office of the Dean of Pharmacy of CEU, somebody told me that if you were a graduate of 4-yr B.S. Pharmacy, u only have to take the addt'l year to complete the 5-year requirement of the FPGEC. So, do you know anybody that has done that & was able to take that one big chance to take fpgee? thanks!

Hi there, I am a 2008 BS Pharmacy graduate and a licensed Pharmacist... im new to this forum and just read about your post about CEU's clin phar... so they said that they could offer you a 1 yr clinphar course if your a 4yr BS pharma degree holder.. Im just wondering if you have any idea on how much is there tuition fee per sem for that program? and is it a sure thing to be accepted to write for the FP exam? im interested on applying for it bec it will cost me more if i try to take the additional 1yr course in davao or cebu because i don't know anyone from there... :D

hope to hear from you soon, thanks alot.. :)

For the University of San Carlos 1yr clin phar course for 4yrs BS pharmacy degree holders, i know someone who took that program and fortunately she was accepted to write for the FPGEE.

Edited by anjo

I'm glad I found this thread!

I am a graduate from University of San Carlos. I graduated BS Pharmacy in 2010 and BS Clinical Pharmacy in 2011. I went back to the states (I am originally from California) in July of 2011 and applied for the FPGEE. The ECE confirmed my TOR and the FPGEC accepted it as well.

However, there was one problem: I was not licensed in the Philippines. They told me I can't sit for the FPGEE unless I am licensed from the country where I got my degree. So this past December I had to fly back here to Cebu and take the Pharmacy Board Exam. This was this past Sunday and Monday. Thanks to the Lord, I passed. Now I am going back to California and submitting my last requirement.

For those interested in BS Clinical Pharmacy (the 5th year) It is only offered (usually) every other year. So this year there is no 5th year program (Due to the fact that there needs to be at least 20 students for the program to run).

Those who are in the Philippines and would like to take a 5th year program, San Carlos will probably offer the program this June 2012. However, it really depends on how many are willing to enroll.

I will stick around in this thread and answer any questions anyone might have wherein my knowledge will be applicable =).

I am a graduate from University of San Carlos. I graduated BS Pharmacy in 2010 and BS Clinical Pharmacy in 2011. I went back to the states (I am originally from California) in July of 2011 and applied for the FPGEE. The ECE confirmed my TOR and the FPGEC accepted it as well.

However, there was one problem: I was not licensed in the Philippines. They told me I can't sit for the FPGEE unless I am licensed from the country where I got my degree. So this past December I had to fly back here to Cebu and take the Pharmacy Board Exam. This was this past Sunday and Monday. Thanks to the Lord, I passed. Now I am going back to California and submitting my last requirement.

For those interested in BS Clinical Pharmacy (the 5th year) It is only offered (usually) every other year. So this year there is no 5th year program (Due to the fact that there needs to be at least 20 students for the program to run).

Those who are in the Philippines and would like to take a 5th year program, San Carlos will probably offer the program this June 2012. However, it really depends on how many are willing to enroll.

I will stick around in this thread and answer any questions anyone might have wherein my knowledge will be applicable =).

Hi there! just read your post.. i hope you know any rough estimate on how much is the tuition fee for the whole 1yr clin pharm program of USC? thanks for your reply... :)

The program is actually 1.5 years; it is 2 full semesters and a summer internship at PGH in Malate.

The tuition for the whole program is around 60k pesos, give or take a few thousand. However, this depends on the amount of students enrolled. The more students enrolled, the less the tuition, and vice versa. This does not include the expenses for the internship in Malate, as well as in Chong Hua Hospital in Cebu during the 2nd semester.

During my time, there were about 25+ who enrolled.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a BS pharma studuent who is about to graduate this April 2012. I was planning to take clinical pharma at USC this June 2012 but there in USC if you graduated from a differ school you will go into their 2 year clinical program (1st year being all review classes). Anyways I'm glad to find out the CEU has a clinical programm for just 1 year and it is stated there on the CEU website. I was just wondering how enrollment into clinical is. Do I have to be licensed already? And I have failed a class during 2nd year, human ana, will they still alow me to enroll? USC didn't require me to be licensed yet. Anyways that would be great to enroll in CEU if I could, I always wanted to live in manila. Thank you

If someone could ask for me that would also be great, I tried emailing and they don't respond, maybe busy, and I would go there myself but I'm a graduating student and we are dealing with a lot of pressure.

Anyways thank you God bless

UIC in Davao is the best way to go. It's almost like a free ride to a 5 year curriculum! It only takes a year, internship included. Right now I think they're screening everyone who goes into this 5th year. I don't think you necessarily have to be licensed to enroll with this course.

I am a BS pharma studuent who is about to graduate this April 2012. I was planning to take clinical pharma at USC this June 2012 but there in USC if you graduated from a differ school you will go into their 2 year clinical program (1st year being all review classes). Anyways I'm glad to find out the CEU has a clinical programm for just 1 year and it is stated there on the CEU website. I was just wondering how enrollment into clinical is. Do I have to be licensed already? And I have failed a class during 2nd year, human ana, will they still alow me to enroll? USC didn't require me to be licensed yet. Anyways that would be great to enroll in CEU if I could, I always wanted to live in manila. Thank you

If someone could ask for me that would also be great, I tried emailing and they don't respond, maybe busy, and I would go there myself but I'm a graduating student and we are dealing with a lot of pressure.

Anyways thank you God bless

hi there... i inquired about the CEU 5yr course clin phar program too.. im already a 4yr pharma graduate from a different university and a licensed pharmacist... i was able to contact them by emailing directly to their dean.. for some reason they don't reply on the email add that was posted on their website...

so what the dean replied to me was...

they don't offer the clinphar program to post graduate students... (thus, like me)

they don't have a similar program like San Carlos' (like the additional 1-2yr clinphar program)

they could only offer for post graduates was their PharmD program if they want to qualify for the FPGEE exam...

the program will take 2 yrs to finish....so in order to qualify for the program, your BS pharma transcript should not have any failing subjects... you don't need to be a licensed pharmacist when you apply for the program.. but, before they promote you to 2nd year, you should already be a licensed pharmacist by then...

there, i hope i answered some of your questions...All the best... :)

Edited by anjo

HEY everybody - Listen up! If you are a pharmacy graduate after 2003 and STILL looking for a 5th year program, UIC in Davao is your best bet! Hear me out - it only takes 10 months and it's worth every penny buddy! Now most of you im guessing are from manila, and maybe a bit hesitant to venture out of your comfort zone; your choice, your life. It is not a smooth ride - at all! Especially for yall who come from UST (me included) and other big universities, don't expect it to be the same, it will not be. What matters is what you're getting what you need. That doesn't mean you're gonna get quality education, no you will not. You will ridicule most if not all of your instructors, you will hate the smell of the stinky market beside the school and you will loathe every single day... Until you learn to actually have fun and let all the new experiences and friends sink in to you. So far tuition for my batch 40k ++ per semester, from june -dec we were in classroom setting, now we're doing internship and we'll be done two weeks from this writing. I'm writing this to help out all the pharmacists out there who have bigger dreams than most, those who are willing to make that big step. Our class right now is composed of maybe 40-50% US citizens/permanent residents OR waiting for petition--that means we all did our homework, researched on programs, quit work in the US to actually do this(some even left family and kids). Yes, we just all surprised ourselves that most of us are pharmacy techs in the US. 48 students in class right now, maybe 8 Davao locals, the rest from luzon or US.

I guess that's all I have to say. Hope this can be of help to somebody. PM me if you have any questions. Oh yeah i forgot to mention this program of course makes you eligible for the FPGEE. Best of luck to you all. There is no sweat in the application process: PRC license, etc everything can follow. They are very flexible.

PS. i dont mean for this to sound like an advertisement, it's just that I've been meaning to write this to help out those who are still in search of a program and to pay it forward to urch forums. God bless everyone.

HEY everybody - Listen up! If you are a pharmacy graduate after 2003 and STILL looking for a 5th year program, UIC in Davao is your best bet! Hear me out - it only takes 10 months and it's worth every penny buddy! Now most of you im guessing are from manila, and maybe a bit hesitant to venture out of your comfort zone; your choice, your life. It is not a smooth ride - at all! Especially for yall who come from UST (me included) and other big universities, don't expect it to be the same, it will not be. What matters is what you're getting what you need. That doesn't mean you're gonna get quality education, no you will not. You will ridicule most if not all of your instructors, you will hate the smell of the stinky market beside the school and you will loathe every single day... Until you learn to actually have fun and let all the new experiences and friends sink in to you. So far tuition for my batch 40k ++ per semester, from june -dec we were in classroom setting, now we're doing internship and we'll be done two weeks from this writing. I'm writing this to help out all the pharmacists out there who have bigger dreams than most, those who are willing to make that big step. Our class right now is composed of maybe 40-50% US citizens/permanent residents OR waiting for petition--that means we all did our homework, researched on programs, quit work in the US to actually do this(some even left family and kids). Yes, we just all surprised ourselves that most of us are pharmacy techs in the US. 48 students in class right now, maybe 8 Davao locals, the rest from luzon or US.

I guess that's all I have to say. Hope this can be of help to somebody. PM me if you have any questions. Oh yeah i forgot to mention this program of course makes you eligible for the FPGEE. Best of luck to you all. There is no sweat in the application process: PRC license, etc everything can follow. They are very flexible.

PS. i dont mean for this to sound like an advertisement, it's just that I've been meaning to write this to help out those who are still in search of a program and to pay it forward to urch forums. God bless everyone.

Hi nfabo!!! :) Thank you soooo much for posting this. I am also from UST and I have been living in new york for about two years now. I passed the ptcb and took pharmcas hoping that it would help me get into a legit pharmacy school here in the city, not until I received their email yesterday telling me that I needed more courses to get in the program which basically means that I have to wait for another year and get all those damn courses aside from the four more years that I need to finish the pharmD I was very frustrated and I was losing hope, I woke up today trying to convince myself to get an accelerated nursing course and get this over with. Not until I saw this thread… I heard UIC frm a friend way back before i started pcat and stuff..but i never considered it as an option..cause yea you were right…just the thought of leaving my comfort zone, abandon my current job in the pharmacy, be away from my fam and living alone in Davao makes me so anxious about it. But I found courage in your post. I realized that I have to make this decision now and stop wasting another year of indecisiveness. I have no idea how to get in and get there but ill take my chances. I tried browsing thru their link but I dint really get much info so I would very much appreciate it if you would post or pm the admission requirements or any information of a contact person that could help me enroll before June. THANK YOU SO MUCH. you're a blessing.. seriously :)

hey guys! I just want to express my gratitude for sharing all the experiences. I was the one who started this thread and the only option then was to take the PharmD degree from CEU Makati to be eligible for FPGEE. After few years, we were able to explore other options such as the Clinical Pharmacy Programs in Cebu and Davao.. I think anyone who would want to know further about these options just need to read this thread from the start and they'll definitely find answers. I am so happy that we were able to help each other, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for sharing. I wish you all the best and May God bless us all. :)

Thank you so much for the information. Sadly, i have failed a class human anatomy ( but when i talked to some teachers here at my school they said it might not be a problem since it is not a major class ). I tried emailing the dean but there was no response, anyways a lot of people claim that they do not respond to emails on the email they provided on the CEU webiste. Can someone please post on here, or message me the email address that was used to contact the Dean there in CEU? Thank you

If all fails, I plan to visit there this summer to get information myself.

I think it is very obvious that i want to go to CEU to take up PharmD over being a clinical pharmacist. Haha

God bless everyone

Thank you so much for the information. Sadly, i have failed a class human anatomy ( but when i talked to some teachers here at my school they said it might not be a problem since it is not a major class ). I tried emailing the dean but there was no response, anyways a lot of people claim that they do not respond to emails on the email they provided on the CEU webiste. Can someone please post on here, or message me the email address that was used to contact the Dean there in CEU? Thank you

If all fails, I plan to visit there this summer to get information myself.

I think it is very obvious that i want to go to CEU to take up PharmD over being a clinical pharmacist. Haha

God bless everyone

Hi EOlaes! Are you worried that the dean wouldn't accept you since you failed a class during your BS? I had a classmate from PharmD, she was also my classmate from BS and I know she failed about 3 classes then but she was still admitted to PharmD. I think the most important thing is you are a licensed Pharmacist. If you have more detailed inquiry you can send me a message. all the best!

Notinal: PharmD in CEU actually came AFTER Clinical Pharmacy courses in UIC in Davao and USC in Cebu. As far as I'm concerned, UIC started it all in 2006 (I think). They even had students from UP!

nfabo: I 111% agree with whatever you said! I am a living proof of that experience! 90% of our batch enrolled just for the sake of having a 5th year in our transcripts so we'd be eligible for the FPGEE. Tuition was cheaper then (they're taking advantage of their enrollees now that's why they're charging you more! JK. JK. JK.) We did our 1st semester online and classroom setting/online for the 2nd (I only went to class probably 8 times? I got tired doing the internship!). The 1st month in Davao was really tough. I could possibly say all the worst things about that school and it's system. (Especially the system!) After I've adjusted, those 3 remaining months were probably 3 of the best months I've ever lived! But hey, I got what I wanted (I'm now a FPGEC) and I'm really happy!

Notinal: PharmD in CEU actually came AFTER Clinical Pharmacy courses in UIC in Davao and USC in Cebu. As far as I'm concerned, UIC started it all in 2006 (I think). They even had students from UP! nfabo: I 111% agree with whatever you said! I am a living proof of that experience! 90% of our batch enrolled just for the sake of having a 5th year in our transcripts so we'd be eligible for the FPGEE. Tuition was cheaper then (they're taking advantage of their enrollees now that's why they're charging you more! JK. JK. JK.) We did our 1st semester online and classroom setting/online for the 2nd (I only went to class probably 8 times? I got tired doing the internship!). The 1st month in Davao was really tough. I could possibly say all the worst things about that school and it's system. (Especially the system!) After I've adjusted, those 3 remaining months were probably 3 of the best months I've ever lived! But hey, I got what I wanted (I'm now a FPGEC) and I'm really happy!
Hi IamPrincess! I think you misunderstood what I meant when I said, "the only option then was PharmD from CEU". I was just saying that when I started this thread that was the only option I thought of. Since then, people were sharing their thoughts on the other programs such as those in Cebu and Davao. I did not mean to compare any of those programs. Nonetheless, this thread is solely for the purpose of informing people of their options if they would want to be eligible for FPGEE or even to pursue career in US. I don't even care which program came first (as far as existence) nor which BS Pharm schools their students are from. I'm more interested on which does deliver, and obviously all three programs are proven to make one eligible for FPGEE. Just for the record, PharmD from CEU Makati started on June 2005. During my time there, students were mainly from BSPharm schools in Manila (UP, UST, CEU) probably because not a lot knew about it. In contrast to what is usual, only 3 students of my class (including I) wanted to really pursue career in US. Moreover, 2 of those are now Pharmacist Interns and 1 finishing the Pharmacist Licensure process. I think 75% of class chose to stay in the Philippines. I heard some of those from earlier batches pursued their careers in other countries such as Singapore, Australia and Canada. Again, this thread is for exploring options on how "foreign pharmacists who graduated after 2003" may be eligible to sit for FPGEE. I do not intend to compare any of the available programs, but I was just sharing my experience just like other people here sharing theirs. (I do apologize if it made readers feel that way though.) I reckon each program has its unique curriculum and the choice for an option depends on the individual based on their needs and their convenience. Thank you all very much for sharing on this thread. all the best! :)

Notinal: Yes, I misunderstood what you said earlier and I apologize. I thought the CEU PharmD and it's Clinical Pharmacy program are the same thing. Does taking the PharmD make you eligible to sit for the FP? Or do you have to take up CP in order for that to happen? And I was not comparing either since I am not in a position to do so. http://www.www.urch.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.png

Notinal: PharmD in CEU actually came AFTER Clinical Pharmacy courses in UIC in Davao and USC in Cebu. As far as I'm concerned, UIC started it all in 2006 (I think). They even had students from UP! nfabo: I 111% agree with whatever you said! I am a living proof of that experience! 90% of our batch enrolled just for the sake of having a 5th year in our transcripts so we'd be eligible for the FPGEE. Tuition was cheaper then (they're taking advantage of their enrollees now that's why they're charging you more! JK. JK. JK.) We did our 1st semester online and classroom setting/online for the 2nd (I only went to class probably 8 times? I got tired doing the internship!). The 1st month in Davao was really tough. I could possibly say all the worst things about that school and it's system. (Especially the system!) After I've adjusted, those 3 remaining months were probably 3 of the best months I've ever lived! But hey, I got what I wanted (I'm now a FPGEC) and I'm really happy!
hi IamPrincess. I am so much interested in pursuing clinphar in davao since it the quickest possible way to finish the requirements for fpge. I checked on line and submitted the initial evaluation requirements but I havent heard anything from them after and its almost 2 weeks now. did you personally go there during the application procedures? Do they really reply via email?i even emailed the dean to inquire about the program, but no response from her either. im still in ny and i wanted to make sure that i get accepted first before booking my flight back. im starting to get really anxious about it. Do you have any suggestions on how to reach them and with the application itself? I really hope i get in this year. Thank you so much... :)

Hi IamPrincess! Regarding your query, Clinical Pharmacy and Doctor of Pharmacy are two different programs in CEU. I honestly don't have any idea on how they do it for the Clinical Pharmacy all I know is that its a 5-year BS Pharmacy curriculum and yes it came AFTER their PharmD Program. Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) is a post-graduate / professional degree and it takes 2 years to finish in addition to the usual 4 year BS degree (a total of 6 years). It's the one that I took actually, and yes I was able to take the FPGEE. I hope that helps to clarify. :)

• 3 weeks later...
hi IamPrincess. I am so much interested in pursuing clinphar in davao since it the quickest possible way to finish the requirements for fpge. I checked on line and submitted the initial evaluation requirements but I havent heard anything from them after and its almost 2 weeks now. did you personally go there during the application procedures? Do they really reply via email?i even emailed the dean to inquire about the program, but no response from her either. im still in ny and i wanted to make sure that i get accepted first before booking my flight back. im starting to get really anxious about it. Do you have any suggestions on how to reach them and with the application itself? I really hope i get in this year. Thank you so much... :)

Hi, I'am living in NYC too, I wanna know if this program for Clinical Pharmacy will give us an assurance to qualified for FPGEE, I have been researching about it for years now and It's driving me insane because I couldn't find an answer still. I called ECE and NABP for some options and I didn't find any, It is so frustrating that we need to study the PhD here and pay a lot for the tuition fee just to qualify for the FPGEE. I graduated BS Pharmacy at CEU last 2005 in a 4 years Pharmacy Program which i find it useless here in the US. I wanna know how are u doing with your application in this said school?

Hi, I'am living in NYC too, I wanna know if this program for Clinical Pharmacy will give us an assurance to qualified for FPGEE, I have been researching about it for years now and It's driving me insane because I couldn't find an answer still. I called ECE and NABP for some options and I didn't find any, It is so frustrating that we need to study the PhD here and pay a lot for the tuition fee just to qualify for the FPGEE. I graduated BS Pharmacy at CEU last 2005 in a 4 years Pharmacy Program which i find it useless here in the US. I wanna know how are u doing with your application in this said school?

As I finish reading the thread I became more interested about the program, Can anyone tell me their personal experience from this school and how it works.. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Recipe7, i see that you're from cali who graduated from usc in cebu. can you please give me insights about the program? i wanted to verify if theyre opening the program this year but i was browsing through the usc website and i did not find any enrollment or evaluation procedures for the clinphar program.. do you need to take like an entrance exam to get in? or can i just inquire and enroll via online? where you also in cali when you applied? coz im in ny right now and i am also currently applying in uic davao, but their enrollment was on hold so I figured that I need to find an alternative just in case the davao situation will not progress. Thank you.. I will be waiting for your reply :) reply to this thread or PM me anytime. Thanks again :)