Urch Forums

For foreign pharmacists who graduated after 2003

notinal

im so glad i found this thread.. im a 2007 graduate from UST.. planning to go back to the philippines for the pharmd program in davao.. i want to know if the time, money and effort will all be worth it.. am i gonna be able to seat for fpgee afterwards? any response is appreciated..

Hi nfabo! im not really sure about that curriculum they have in Davao, but from what I've learned it is like +1 year additional clinical pharmacy and not a PharmD degree. I took my PharmD degree from CEU Makati and its a 2-year curriculum. I was able to sit for the April 2010 FPGEE as well passed my TOEFL iBT. I had my FPGEC certificate last month. =) So basically, I'm a living proof that taking PharmD degree in CEU Makati makes it possible to become FPGEC certified. For me it was all worth it, even if I'm still hoping to get an internship still, I made one step ahead of becoming a US pharmacist, don't you think? So good luck to you, reach for your dreams! =)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there any way that 2 years can be less? being in the city is better than being in davao, where ive never been to before.. but for my status in the US i prefer not to max out the 2 year allowable stay outside the continental states.. say, if i take more subjects in a semester so i can take the program in less than 2 years, is that possible?

• 3 weeks later...
Hello po, my name is Nagy, i graduated as BSPharmacy at Cebu Doctor's University last April 2010, and also passed the PRC Pharmacy Licensure Exam at june 2010, right now i want to continue my career as PharmD at CEU.In admission,Do they also require a specific average or grade (lets say not less than 2.1) even though that I am already licensed pharmacist? pls rep...thnx

Hello po, my name is Nagy, i graduated as BSPharmacy at Cebu Doctor's University last April 2010, and also passed the PRC Pharmacy Licensure Exam at june 2010, right now i want to continue my career as PharmD at CEU.In admission,Do they also require a specific average or grade (lets say not less than 2.1) even though that I am already licensed pharmacist? pls rep...thnx

hi bibonagy! well, unfortunately I can't answer that question, because definitely there is screening. We had entrance examinations and interview with the College's dean before we got in. Also, one of the requirements for the program is really to be a licensed pharmacist. I hope I helped you somehow. You can always visit there website at http://www.ceu.edu.ph. goodluck!=)

• 2 months later...

I am a 2010 BS Pharmacy Graduate from AUF Pampanga. Passed the January 2011 Licensure Exams. I am planning to to take Pharm. D. at CEU Makati. I'm afraid I'm just an average student. Kindly help enlighten me and make me feel better.

CONTACT DETAILS DELETED BY MODERATOR. Please use Test Magic messaging system.

Edited by wasleys

I am a 2010 BS Pharmacy Graduate from AUF Pampanga. Passed the January 2011 Licensure Exams. I am planning to to take Pharm. D. at CEU Makati. I'm afraid I'm just an average student. Kindly help enlighten me and make me feel better.

CONTACT DETAILS DELETED BY MODERATOR. Please use Test Magic messaging system.

hi sugaroverdosed! sorry for the late reply. First, Congratulations for passing the local board exams! [clap] About your plan on taking the PharmD degree I understand that initially it sounds intimidating, that's exactly how I felt (and its normal). I was also an average student during my BS Pharm, I was not a dean's lister nor have graduated with honors, but not to brag when I finished my PharmD, I got a "Distinction Award" for being the 3rd placer in our class.;) Honestly, I never aimed to be on top, I just wanted to get the degree for me to be able to sit for the FPGEE however, that perception changed as early as first semester of my first year because I enjoyed and I learned a lot. You know what I realized in the end? I am glad and thankful I was able to get that degree not solely for the FPGEE but most importantly, I have loved my profession even more after PharmD and understood the greater responsibility a pharmacist has. For my opinion, what I had during my BS Pharm is not enough especially if you're particular with the clinical aspect of our profession.

But don't just take my word for it. It still depends on you, if you're determined to reach for your dreams (which I feel you are, coz if not you won't bother asking right?) you can do this! Best of luck to you. Cheers! :tup:

hi sugaroverdosed! sorry for the late reply. First, Congratulations for passing the local board exams! [clap] About your plan on taking the PharmD degree I understand that initially it sounds intimidating, that's exactly how I felt (and its normal). I was also an average student during my BS Pharm, I was not a dean's lister nor have graduated with honors, but not to brag when I finished my PharmD, I got a "Distinction Award" for being the 3rd placer in our class.;) Honestly, I never aimed to be on top, I just wanted to get the degree for me to be able to sit for the FPGEE however, that perception changed as early as first semester of my first year because I enjoyed and I learned a lot. You know what I realized in the end? I am glad and thankful I was able to get that degree not solely for the FPGEE but most importantly, I have loved my profession even more after PharmD and understood the greater responsibility a pharmacist has. For my opinion, what I had during my BS Pharm is not enough especially if you're particular with the clinical aspect of our profession.

But don't just take my word for it. It still depends on you, if you're determined to reach for your dreams (which I feel you are, coz if not you won't bother asking right?) you can do this! Best of luck to you. Cheers! :tup:

Wow! I do thank you with all my heart for sharing such wonderful words with me. I am taking your thoughts into consideration. You made me feel great. At first, I was excited and all then thinking I'd be away with my love ones and that I'll be by myself made me feel sad and every time I think of it, makes me just want to settle with what I am today even though I have the opportunity already. But you're right, in the end, after I successfully finished my degree and maybe, get a "Distinction Award" like you ;), I will learn to love my profession even more and practice it where our profession is highly regarded.

Thank you very much for your advice. It's very nice of you to take the time to answer my question so fully. I will be in touch if I decide to seek some form of help in this matter again. :) Thank You!

• 4 months later...
Hello. I just graduated BS pharmacy this April 2011 and passed the pharmacy licensure examination this June 2011. I'm planning to take the fpgee. Is MS not good enough to be considered in the 5-yr curriculum requirement? Thank you so much.

Hi! First, congratulations for passing the licensure exams! [clap] About your inquiry about the MS, I have never encountered anyone who has MS degree and was able to sit for FPGEE. If you would check on the FPGEE Bulletin, they have mentioned: "Post-baccalaureate degrees will not be considered except under limited circumstances where the degree obtained and coursework completed to obtain the degree satisfactorily show that the applicant obtained experience in patient care in a clinical pharmacy practice setting. Consideration of post-baccalaureate degrees and whether they may be applicable to determine the minimum required curriculum length will be made on a case-by-case basis at the sole discretion of the FPGEC." I hope that helps. Best of luck!

Thank you so much. Ive decided now:] I'm going to take PharmD, I just can't take risks. hehe Uhmm For a freshman like me, is it possible to enroll next sem (which is on November) or sa June talaga dapat? Thank you again so much. You're one of my inspirations now:]

Hey hiholetsgo! Thank you so much, I'm overwhelmed. :D Unfortunately, you should start on June. Just to give you an insight about the curriculum, the first year is mainly classroom setting and is focused on Disease State Management for every system of the body and also Pharmaceutical Care. The first semester consists of pre-requisite subjects for the second semester so there's no way you could start on the second semester. The second year is a hospital setting (Makati Medical Center) and it is the actual clinical experience.

Good luck and just keep the faith. With perseverance and confidence, you will be just fine. God bless you. :)

• 1 month later...

Awarded Document after Pharm D

Notinal-I read all the posts in this thread. My question to you is, after completion of 2 years pharm D program the school awarded you a degree or certificate for your completion of Pharm D.

Thanks,

Speedy : )

Hey hiholetsgo! Thank you so much, I'm overwhelmed. :D Unfortunately, you should start on June. Just to give you an insight about the curriculum, the first year is mainly classroom setting and is focused on Disease State Management for every system of the body and also Pharmaceutical Care. The first semester consists of pre-requisite subjects for the second semester so there's no way you could start on the second semester. The second year is a hospital setting (Makati Medical Center) and it is the actual clinical experience.

Good luck and just keep the faith. With perseverance and confidence, you will be just fine. God bless you. :)

Awarded Document after Pharm D

Notinal-I read all the posts in this thread. My question to you is, after completion of 2 years pharm D program the school awarded you a degree or certificate for your completion of Pharm D.

Thanks,

Speedy : )

Hi Speedy! The answer to your question is yes. I was awarded with the degree and therefore I received a diploma for it. :)

Hi Speedy! The answer to your question is yes. I was awarded with the degree and therefore I received a diploma for it. :)

Thanks Notinal-Actually my primary university is also offering a one year course to four years B. Pharm degree holders and local registered Pharmacists. Upon completion of one year courses (44 credits hours) they are awarding them a Pharm D degree. In your opinion, do you think this one year completion have a shot to get eligibility to sit for the fpgee exam.

Speedy

Thanks Notinal-Actually my primary university is also offering a one year course to four years B. Pharm degree holders and local registered Pharmacists. Upon completion of one year courses (44 credits hours) they are awarding them a Pharm D degree. In your opinion, do you think this one year completion have a shot to get eligibility to sit for the fpgee exam.

Speedy

Hi Speedy,

Honestly, I don't think I'm in the position to state my opinion on this one. I mean, every university has their own curriculum and the eligibility for taking the FPGEE is solely upon the discretion of NABP. However, if I may state the facts, if you go on the FPGEE Bulletin, they have reiterated that post-graduate degree may be considered provided the curriculum consists of clinical experience (not the exact words but the thought is like that). :orange: Furthermore, transcript will be evaluated by certain committee based on the units/subjects taken so it really depends.

I'm sorry I wish I could help you on this but that's all I could share. Good luck though.

To those of you who are from the Philippines and would do anything to be able to sit for the FP, there's no need to take a 2 year pharm D program. USC in Cebu & UIC in Davao are offering a 1 year Clinical Pharmacy program. After graduating and processing your papers, you will then be eligible for the FPGEE. I'm a living proof. :)

Hey everyone! I am so happy to have found this webiste! I have been trying to find something like this about CEU all over the internet for like 3 months. Lol. Can someone answer some questions for me since CEU never replies to emails, and that im from Cebu so i can't really visit the school... haha

1) Enrolling into CEU PharmD, what are the requirments other than passing the board exam?

Most of my grades fall around 2.7ish and i failed 1 class, human anatomy, will that affect my chances of getting accepted? (I really hope that passing the board exam is good enough)

2) How many people are usually enrolled into PharmD a year?

How old are people usually who take up the PharmD program?

3) In terms of difficulty, how would you rate it compared to the BSP program?

4) How do you find the college life there? I have no family there in Manila so the adjustment from Cebu will be huge

5) How long does the enrollment process take? Would it be the same as enrolling into BSP, or is there added work?

6) Anything else i need to know? Grading scales, teaching styles?

Oh, this is kinda out there but were you able to have a social life while enrolled into PharmD? How is the campus/ people in campus? and is it like taking up med where studying is everyday?

thanks for the help... Just preparing myself! haha! God bless you guys!!!!

Oh ya lets say i would pass the board exam this June 2012, would i be able to enroll for the school year of 2012, or will i have to wait for the 2013 school year at CEU, and if i do enroll 2013, how long is the enrollment process? Is it something that i turn in papers and wait a month or so to find out if i get accepted or is it like on the spot kind of thing?

thank you God bless :D

Oh ya lets say i would pass the board exam this June 2012, would i be able to enroll for the school year of 2012, or will i have to wait for the 2013 school year at CEU, and if i do enroll 2013, how long is the enrollment process? Is it something that i turn in papers and wait a month or so to find out if i get accepted or is it like on the spot kind of thing?

thank you God bless :D

I'm not sure if you can enroll once you have failed a subject during your BSP. You need to pass your transcript. Also, you can enroll for 2012 even without passing the boards yet. just make sure that you will take it during your 1st year because the license is needed on the internship during the 2nd year. They accept only 25 students for PharmD class. What you have to do first is pass the requirements then on the same day, you will be evaluated. From then on, you will know if you are allowed to take the entrance test. Once you pass the test, you can enroll already.

-First year PharmD student

Hey thanks for the reply,

I noticed that you are a 1st year PharmD student, hows it going there?

That is great that you can still enroll but take it during your 1st year, that could be a plan i would do...

How was the entrance exam?

Hows the school and such, im really excited to go there..

• 1 month later...
hi notinal! i'm new to this thread.:distracted: anyway, have u heard of CEU's 5-year Clinical Pharmacy? I just called the office of the Dean of Pharmacy of CEU, somebody told me that if you were a graduate of 4-yr B.S. Pharmacy, u only have to take the addt'l year to complete the 5-year requirement of the FPGEC. So, do you know anybody that has done that & was able to take that one big chance to take fpgee? thanks!