Urch Forums

chances of admit to top 50 univ

ritwik

following is my profile, kindly comment on my chances for admission to phd in top 50 universities. :hmm:

CGPA: 3.97/4.00 [after 7 semesters](We are graded out of 4)

GRE: Q 800 + V 670 + AW 4.0

TOEFL: 287

TSE: result not out

Area of interest: Image Processing

Selected Projects:

- with Indian Air Force on MIG 21 image analysis

- with Sam Pitroda on video recording

Papers:

1. published and adjudged among best 2 student papers at 12th international conference on advanced computing and communication (ADCOM)

2. selected for presentation at global signal processing conference, santa clara, ca

recos: i hope excellent

sop: i think decent

my univ: its in top 10 univs in India [not IITs]

man, way to go....

i think your univ choices are misplaced though..top 50 is too much...dont even look outside the top 25..

and since u r applng for a PhD ur admit is almost a dead cert with significant chances of aid.

IP is damn good at univ of maryland and at UIUC..hope u have appd there...

g'luck

Yeah...don't even look at rank #26...you are gonna surely blast your way through the list of prospective applicants in the top 25...the top 5 might be tough but you should be able to secure an admit in a good univ. in the top 25..

Btw, which univ dude?? BITS Pilani??

I have app'ed to these universities

University of Arizona

Ohio State University

University of Illinois -UC

University of California - SB

University of California - Berkeley

University of Southern California

Polytechnic University

Georgia Institute of Technology

Notre Dame

Texas A & M University

Johns Hopkins University

Purdue University

University of Florida

University of Rochester

Being not from either iits or bits, should I really be excited about any of these?

I think the reason why you got a reject from OSU is because you're applying to a PhD, with very little research experience. Your profile is superb and had this been an MS application, you'd have surely made it to the top 10! Would you mind letting us know why you didn't want to do an MS first? Good luck :) You're on the road to success.

I think the reason why you got a reject from OSU is because you're applying to a PhD, with very little research experience. Your profile is superb and had this been an MS application, you'd have surely made it to the top 10! Would you mind letting us know why you didn't want to do an MS first? Good luck :) You're on the road to success.

If this is not research experience at undergrad level, pray what is? Don't you think it is a bit too unrealistic to expect undergrads to have hundred published papers before they get accepted for a Ph.D program?

------------------------------------------------------------

Selected Projects:

Papers:

1. published and adjudged among best 2 student papers at 12th international conference on advanced computing and communication (ADCOM)

2. selected for presentation at global signal processing conference, santa clara, ca

------------------------------------------------------------

following is my profile, kindly comment on my chances for admission to phd in top 50 universities. :hmm:

CGPA: 3.97/4.00 [after 7 semesters](We are graded out of 4)

GRE: Q 800 + V 670 + AW 4.0

TOEFL: 287

TSE: result not out

Area of interest: Image Processing

Selected Projects:

Papers:

recos: i hope excellent

sop: i think decent

my univ: its in top 10 univs in India [not IITs]

Is EE your background or CS?

Answer to Zorrillo's Ques:

1. I want to obtain a doctorate and thus am try for it. 2. Directly applying for Ph.D will give me more time to work for Ph.D. thesis. 3. I do not have money to fund my masters and then go for Ph.D.

Answer to awhig's Ques:

My major is 'Information & Communication Technology' . It is closer to EE.

If this is not research experience at undergrad level, pray what is? Don't you think it is a bit too unrealistic to expect undergrads to have hundred published papers before they get accepted for a Ph.D program?

You're right about research limitations at undergrad level, but dude, PhD admits are not at all that easy! Your research has to be much more in-depth than that you can afford to do during your undergrad degree. Many would disagree with me but IMO, a better approach to an admit would be to work 1-2 years after your degree as a research assistant in your field and then apply; or better still, complete your masters in India first. Besides, getting a PhD admit is a lot about fitting in; test and exam scores, etc. don't account for much here. You see, all those promises of aid aren't for grabs!

ritwik, I too feel that your profile is very good and you should get an admit in a good university as long as your SOP and essays are very good. Past academic qualifications aren't the only factor ;). Since you are doing Phd, you'll surely get a good scholarship. BTW, my cuz is currently doing a Phd. in Texas A & M University. I think he is researching a Global Positioning related project.

You're right about research limitations at undergrad level, but dude, PhD admits are not at all that easy! Your research has to be much more in-depth than that you can afford to do during your undergrad degree. Many would disagree with me but IMO, a better approach to an admit would be to work 1-2 years after your degree as a research assistant in your field and then apply; or better still, complete your masters in India first. Besides, getting a PhD admit is a lot about fitting in; test and exam scores, etc. don't account for much here. You see, all those promises of aid aren't for grabs!
I agree that PhD is more about fitting in with university's and prof's objectives but for that - a student with MTech is as good or rather as bad as an BTech student. I talked to this Prof from Duke [i know its not that good a univ for EE, but anyway] and he said that it is very difficult to judge from a student's application whether he can do research or not - be it a student with just BTech or with an MTech.

Your research has to be much more in-depth than that you can afford to do during your undergrad degree.
Doctoral research is a totally different proposition from even MS thesis and thus I think the only way one can integrate the two effectively is when he does MS and PhD in an integrated manner. It about demonstrating research capability and that can be done at both UG (may be its a little harder here) and PG level. The point here is - "research capability" is more important than "research".
  • Like 1

Hi Mr.Ritwik,

MTech's have a small edge over Btech's for PhD.some students,after completing Mtech's from IISc and IIT's,go abroad for PhD.The Deciding factor's are(not in the order of importance)

a)University(should be a good one )

b)Mtech Thesis (This is single most important one.Prof's are going to see your thesis.

c)GRE

d)acad's

This information was given by one of my friends.He got his Mtech from IIT Kanpur and is now pursuing his doctoral degree in a Canadian Univ.

I agree completely with the post #13. I've just completed my B.S. in the U.S. and all of the people I haved talked to have said that your capability and determination are the most important factors.......people who did not do any research in their bachelor's years or those who did not have good grades during these years should do masters first...otherwise there's really no point in going for masters first.....it'll just waste time...

remember that in most unversities (in CS at least), MOST of the people who are admitted for phd come with a B.S. only......the Masters is basically being phased into a professional degree (professional as in industry work).....almost every university says that people who intend to do phd should come directly into the phd program