Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 012 People's attitudes are determined more by

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    Sponsored Ad:
    Issue:12: People's attitudes are determined more by their immediate situation or surroundings than by any internal characteristic.

It is a raging controversy over the centuries whether people’s attitude is determined by immediate situations and surroundings or it is influenced by internal characteristics. This is, indeed a contentious issue.

To answer this moot point, we should ask ourselves whether the people born with negative stroke positive attitudes. According to research, every child is born normal and in no way ti can be said that a child is either having a negative attitude or a positive attitude by birth. Obviously, this leads us to the conclusion that attitudes are built by the impact of the surroundings and the immediate situations we face in life than by birth.

Research findings in this field have established that our attitudes are predominantly shaped and built during the formative stages of our life namely early school life, influence of teachers, early childhood friends and to some extent the values imparted by our parents. School life having a predominant effect on one’s attitude is because a child spends more time in school than with parents if the number of hours each day is taken into account and the number of days in a year. It is obvious that our attitudes are shaped by our school surroundings to a great extent and also important contribution is made by parental values. Certain characters are also shaped in the places of higher learning.

The life of the society around an individual also greatly influences the attitude. If you happen to live in the middle class surroundings, you develop bourgeoise tendencies, where as if you live in a poverty-stricken surroundings your attitude towards life can be quite negative. Hence our immediate social surroundings do influence our attitudes.

Let us take a look at the work surroundings and see how it influences our attitude. If the employees are themselves responsible, creative and recognize our contribution, however humble may be the company, our attitudes are positive. If on the other hand, they are irresponsible, payless and exploitative and do not recognize your work, then our attitude becomes negative. Hence, even at the work place, the immediate situation and the surrounding do influence our attitude.

Based on what is stated in the foregoing para’s, it may not be difficult to draw a conclusion that people’s attitudes are determined by their immediate situations or surroundings than by their internal characteristics.

sush

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    It is a raging controversy over the centuries whether people’s attitude is determined by immediate situations and surroundings or it is influenced by internal characteristics. This is, indeed a contentious issue.
    It is a raging contreversy because it is a contentious issue, wouldn't you say ?

To answer this moot point, we should ask ourselves whether the people born with negative stroke positive attitudes. According to research, every child is born normal and in no way ti can be said that a child is either having a negative attitude or a positive attitude by birth.
    Negative stroke positive ? Do you mean negative/positive ?

I think the word stroke is only pronounced and never written. Maybe I am wrong, you ought to check this out.

Obviously, this leads us to the conclusion that attitudes are built by the impact of the surroundings and the immediate situations we face in life than by birth.
    No way Jose ! There is nothing obvious about the matter. True, there is no way to tell whether a baby has a negative attitude or positive attitude at birth, but that hardly means it has a neutral attitude.

Research findings in this field have established that our attitudes are predominantly shaped and built during the formative stages of our life namely early school life, influence of teachers, early childhood friends and to some extent the values imparted by our parents. School life having a predominant effect on one’s attitude is because a child spends more time in school than with parents if the number of hours each day is taken into account and the number of days in a year. It is obvious that our attitudes are shaped by our school surroundings to a great extent and also important contribution is made by parental values. Certain characters are also shaped in the places of higher learning.
    Yep.

The life of the society around an individual also greatly influences the attitude. If you happen to live in the middle class surroundings, you develop bourgeoise tendencies, where as if you live in a poverty-stricken surroundings your attitude towards life can be quite negative. Hence our immediate social surroundings do influence our attitudes.
    I don't think so. Many people struggle their way out of poverty through sheer perseverance and industriousness. They would not have done so if they had a negative attitude towards life.

Moreover, there are many middle or upper class people who view life with varying degrees of cynicism. I don't think bourgeoise tendencies are necassarily positive.

Let us take a look at the work surroundings and see how it influences our attitude. If the employees are themselves responsible, creative and recognize our contribution, however humble may be the company, our attitudes are positive. If on the other hand, they are irresponsible, payless and exploitative and do not recognize your work, then our attitude becomes negative. Hence, even at the work place, the immediate situation and the surrounding do influence our attitude.
    I agree

Based on what is stated in the foregoing para’s, it may not be difficult to draw a conclusion that people’s attitudes are determined by their immediate situations or surroundings than by their internal characteristics.
    I don't think you ought to use abbrevs when writing essays. At any rate, it is paras, not para's.
    Para's = Para is or belonging to Para

Overall, I like your essay. Though I don't particular subscribe to your stance, I must say I found your essay quite insightful. Your writing style is quite flowing and natural. Can't really criticise it.

You had made a few typos. Try to minimise them in the future.

Good Luck,
    AmigoRo

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi everybodyl,
    Here's my opinion on the same topic,any comments will be of immense help.
    shilpa
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Every person is a complex individual, since populace is formed by such
    diverse, heterogeneous group it is impossible to generalize on what
    determines their attitude. Personality of an individual is shaped by both
    nature and nurture. Greater influence of innate characteristics over the
    upbringing or vice versa has been topic of contention between
    psychiatrists, philosophers and biologists involved in study of human
    genome, without reaching definite conclusion.

Various studies have been carried out on characteristics of identical
    (mono-zygotic) twins , often arriving at contradictory conclusions. Dr
    Robert Winston conducted a study to highlighting importance of nature
    in moldings personalities .In his documentary identical twins brought up
    in disparate environment followed similar courses. one interesting
    example was of pair of twins who shared love for reading, one twin was
    raised in affluent neighborhood and had access to personal library, his
    identical twin who was raised by impoverished parents spent hours in
    public library. Another study conducted by Northwestern University on
    identical twins arrived at conclusion that environmental factors
    contribute to who we are as individuals, this research concluded that
    attitudes are shaped by different environmental factors including
    nourishment the embryo received in the womb, values imparted by
    parents, education and social circle.

People with the same kind upbringing brought up in similar neighborhood
    need not necessarily have same attitude or outlook towards life . Innate
    characteristics and abilities do play a role in determining a person's
    attitude. Genetic make up of an individual influences the behavioral
    pattern. A person with inherently high intelligence quotient might
    develop a sense of confidence, while a person of low intelligence might
    have low self esteem which he might try to compensate by becoming
    overtly assertive and domineering. A Person might not react in identical
    manner to the situation if it is faced by it at two different stages of
    life. Person's attitude or character is in continual stage of evolution
    based on the past experience and how he or she is able to deal with it.

Genes impart certain potential and characteristics, manifestation of
    which is determined by upbringing and social environment. Hence both
    nature and nurture have strong influence of individual psyche.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Originally posted by shilpa

Hi everybodyl,
    Here's my opinion on the same topic,any comments will be of immense help.
    shilpa
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Every person is a complex individual, since populace is formed by such
    diverse, heterogeneous group it is impossible to generalize on what
    determines their attitude. Personality of an individual is shaped by both
    nature and nurture. Greater influence of innate characteristics over the
    upbringing or vice versa has been topic of contention between
    psychiatrists, philosophers and biologists involved in study of human
    genome, without reaching definite conclusion.

Various studies have been carried out on characteristics of identical
    (mono-zygotic) twins , often arriving at contradictory conclusions. Dr
    Robert Winston conducted a study to highlighting importance of nature in moldings personalities .In his documentary identical twins brought up
    in disparate environment followed similar courses. one interesting
    example was of pair of twins who shared love for reading, one twin was
    raised in affluent neighborhood and had access to personal library, his
    identical twin who was raised by impoverished parents spent hours in
    public library. Another study conducted by Northwestern University on
    identical twins arrived at conclusion that environmental factors
    contribute to who we are as individuals, this research concluded that
    attitudes are shaped by different environmental factors including
    nourishment the embryo received in the womb, values imparted by
    parents, education and social circle.

People with the same kind upbringing brought up in similar neighborhood
    need not necessarily have same attitude or outlook towards life . Innate
    characteristics and abilities do play a role in determining a person's
    attitude. Genetic make up of an individual influences the behavioral
    pattern. A person with inherently high intelligence quotient might
    develop a sense of confidence, while a person of low intelligence might
    have low self esteem which he might try to compensate by becoming
    overtly assertive and domineering. A Person might not react in identical
    manner to the situation if it is faced by it at two different stages of
    life. Person's attitude or character is in continual stage of evolution
    based on the past experience and how he or she is able to deal with it.

Genes impart certain potential and characteristics, manifestation of
    which is determined by upbringing and social environment. Hence both
    nature and nurture have strong influence of individual psyche.
    This is a well thought out and well written essay. Your writing style is flowing and lucid. The structure and organisation are excellent. You point on people's behaviour being affected by their innate qualities is a brilliant.

Your essay would be a strong contender for a perfect six, were it not a for a few blemishes. There are many grammatical errors. You frequently miss out the article, and you get your singulars and prurals wrong. Also have a look at the bit of text I've marked in red.

Your summary is a major let down. It is very anticlimactic. I think those two sentences are valid as the last two sentences of a summary, but I am sure you could've added a bit more to it. Your essay is powerful overall, but the summary completely fails to deliver the punch.

HTH
    AmigoRo

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi Amigo,
    Thanks for your insights!, next time i'll make sure to proofread my essays before submitting, btw are you able to complete your issue topics in time?, i invariably exceed the time limit.
    shilpa

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Originally posted by shilpa

Hi Amigo,
    Thanks for your insights!, next time i'll make sure to proofread my essays before submitting, btw are you able to complete your issue topics in time?, i invariably exceed the time limit.
    shilpa
    I never exceed the time limit, but neither do I ever leave enough time (at least 2-3 minutes) for editing purposes. I really need to work on my time management better.

AmigoRo

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi guys,
    Below is my composition of the same issue.

Every person exhibits an attitude that sets him/ her apart from others.
    But the question over here arises- how is this attitude instilled into any person. Some believe that everyone is born with some characteristics which shape his/her attitude, while others are of the view that as a child develops into an adult, he/she is gradually affected by the environment which molds attitude in him/her. I concur with the statement's claim that the immediate situation or surrounding,or family casts a remarkable impact on individual's attitude but the innate characteristics play an equally significant role.

Family plays a vital role in making an impact on a child's cognitive power, which finally leads to development of attitude in him/her. For instance, it was her family's generosity, care for the poor and the less fortunate that made a great impact on young Mother Teresa's life and she realized that her vocation was aiding the poor. She dedicated every day of her adult life caring for "The dying, the crippled, the poor, the mentally ill, the unwanted, the unloved" . Even when her health started to deterioate she continued serving for the humanity. The attitude, which was developed into her in childhood, of serving the destitute, stigmatized people remained with her till her death.

It is believed that if a child is left in a forest and grows up amid other animals, he/she would learn their language and eat, live the way other animals do but the moment he is brought back into the society, after a certain time he would start behaving like other humanbeings. The fundamental reason behind this is that the milieu around a person affects his/her personality in a tremendous way. In another instance, there is a affluent family of three members, both the parents and their only son 18 years old . Till 18 years of his life, the son lived a life of outgoing, carefree, improvident person because he never had to worry about the financial matter, problems of life because he was leading a sumptous lifestyle. But if by quirk of fate, his father becomes bankrupt and retires behind the walls of his room, all the responsiblities come on the shoulders of the son. Now he has to adopt a provident attitude and has to struggle for a living. This is not a hypothetical case because in real life there are many people who undergo change in attitude because of the circumstances, surroundings.

However, if the surrounding always plays a pivotal role in shaping up the attitude of a person, then why siblings living in the same atmosphere at times exhibit different attitudes towards life. The cause behind is this their genetic makeup. The innate characteristics prevail in molding the attitude. That's the reason by looking at the behaviour of a two year old child, people start saying that he/she would grow into a introvert, extrovert, violent, or placid individual. And this prediction about his/her attitude becomes conspicuous when that child grows up. If a person is persistent by nature, he/she will keep on trying again and again even after meeting with failures. His/her internal charateristics, assiduousness, will prevail over the detering surroundings upto a significant extent.

In sum, its the combined influence of family, environment, circumstances, innate characterstics which determine people's attitude. If innate characteristics provide the foundation of the attitude, family values, surroundings, puts up the bricks and thus the development of attitude of takes place. Thus it will not be justified to say that people's attitudes are determined more by their immediate situation or surrounding than by any innate characteristics.

Jai

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi guys,

Here are my opinion on the same topic. Suggestiona/comments are most welcomed.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Every person is unique in one way or other. It is his attitude towards that makes him unique. But what makes him so unique from others ? This has been topic of contentious that it is his inherent characteristic that makes his so unique. While others stick on the environment, the surrounding that makes him so unique.

Every person is born with same calibre and attitude. The initial phases of childhood are the most predominant one in deciding his/her attitude towards life. It is the surrounding which has great effect on his behavioural tendencies. For instance, his behaviour depends on his friends in the school, the teaching he receives from his pedagog, the environment in which he leaves.

Social values that has been imparted to him by his family members are also supposed to be most crucial one in deciding his attitude. The parents are the one who spoonfeeds the child as to how to behave, how to maintain decipline, importance about time etc. But if the parents themselves are not following
    this that is they are rude in their behaviour, lazy, indecipline then this will have a negative effect on him and he will also exhibits the same attitude as his parents.

On the contrary, there are certain qualities which exists when a child is born. For instance, it is said that 'Leaders are born not made'. There are certain qualities that are required for a leader. This qualities cannot be gained through reading or experiencing or for that matter through surrounding. So in that sense, this are the internal characteristic. A person who is in active politics from his childhood and that his ancestor were there in the politics does not mean that his progenies will also go in politics.

In conclusion, attitude is a conglomerate of the surrounding conditions in which the person has born, his friends, values imparted from his parents and so also to some extent from some internal characteristic.

Sri
    Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Originally posted by Jai

Hi guys,

Here are my opinion on the same topic. Suggestiona/comments are most welcomed.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello Jai, my comments on this essay are in red.

Every person is unique in one way or the other. It is his U might wanna stay neutral and not get gender specific , like u can say that "it's a person's" attitude towards that makes him unique. But what makes him so unique from others ? This has been topic of contentious contention and not contentious that it is his inherent characteristic that makes his may be a typo, i guess it shud be him here so unique. While others stick on the environment, the surrounding that makes him so unique. A wee bit of ambiguity here in the last sentence

Every person is born with the same calibre and attitude hmm.. I am not too sure if u can say that every person is born with the same attitude though..U might wanna say that the level is 0 when a person is born or something to that effect. The initial phases Shouldn't be a plural as there is only one phase of childhood in anyone's life of childhood are the most predominant one in deciding his/her attitude towards life. It is the surrounding Did u missing typing something here??? which has great effect on his behavioural tendencies. For instance, his behaviour depends on his friends in the school, the teaching he receives from his pedagog, the environment in which he leavesShould be "LIVES" .

Social values that has been imparted to him by his family members are also supposed to be most crucial one in deciding his attitude. The parents are the one's who spoonfeeds the child as to how to behave, how to maintain decipline, importance about time etc. But if the parents themselves are not following
    this that is they are rude in their behaviour, lazy, inde incorrect spelling for discipline cipline then this will have a negative effect on him and he will also exhibits the same attitude as his parents.

On the contrary, there are certain qualities which exists when a child is born. For instance, it is said that 'Leaders are born not made'. There are certain qualities that are required for a leader. This These and not this here qualities cannot be gained through reading or experiencing or for that matter through surrounding. So in that sense, this are the internal characteristic. A person who is in active politics from his childhood and that his ancestor were there in the politics does not mean that his progenies will also go in politics.

In conclusion, attitude is a conglomerate of the surrounding conditions in which the person has born, his friends, values imparted from his parents and so also to some extent from some internal characteristic.
    Jai, thy essay is good, overall the structure and the content r ok, but, there are quite a few grammar and spelling mistakes which u might wanna take care of.

HTH
    -Sri.

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi Sush,

Poverty does not necessarily give a person a negative attitude in life. Consider those who rose from rags to riches. At the same time wealth does not give a postive attitude in life. Look at the kids of rich people, involved in drugs etc.

Does anyone agree?
    Beccs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information