Urch Forums

#018: What are some important qualities of a good

Joke

Please comment my essay.

Topic:

What are some important qualities of a good supervisor (boss)? Use specific details and examples to explain why these qualities are important.

Essay:

It is not easy to be a good supervisor because you have to manage many things to survive, including your employees. In my opinion, the most important qualities to be found in a good supervisor are responsibility, discretion and trickiness.

Firstly, responsibility is important for any supervisor to conduct with his employees because they will respect and obey with your command later. For example, when the supervisor submit his subordinates to respond over time work, the subordinates made work mistake so the supervisor should be brave enough to take responsibility in the event of the mishap. They will impress with their supervisor.

Secondly, a supervisor is responsible many things such as meeting, project and business. He has many problems and difficult things. He will solve those problems with correct decision to make business survival. If a supervisor has not discretion and trickiness to solve the problems, he maybe miss the business or cause greater damage because of his wrong decisions.

In conclusion, many supervisors have own characteristic to manage many things such as patience, composure, leadership and impartiality, but the most important qualities to be a good supervisor are responsibility, discretion and trickiness.

Joke

Hi Joke!

Your essay is nice and good, but I don't like some things: in the conclusion you mentioned three qualities.

It is not easy to be a good supervisor because you have to manage many things to survive, including your employees. In my opinion, the most important qualities to be found in a good supervisor are responsibility, discretion and trickiness.

And you wrote only two paragraphs. It's not good I think. You should have written three paragraphs or mentioned only two qualities.

And you say that the supervisor is 'he'. It isn't politically correct. You should write 'he or she' or use plural noun 'supervisions'.

You also have made some grammar mistakes, but they aren't very bad.

If you have any questions, doubts or requests please let me know them.

HTH! Renata

The post above contains only my own opinion which has nothing to do with official TOEFL

Hi Joke!

I am not a teacher (somehow it becomes my favorite phrase) so I can't tell you your score. I would give you 5.0 (for clumsy organization and grammar mistakes), but I have no idea what score Erin would give you.

HTH! Renata

• 4 months later...

About 10 months ago, I took TOEFL test and only got an essay score of 3.0. Now I am planning to transfer to another university which need a TOEFL score of 580, so I have to take TOEFL test again. I will appreciate you for pointing out my mistakes, because that will help me so much!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What kind of quantities an excellent boss should have? Different person holds different opinion. From my point of view, honesty and intelligence are most important quantities of a good boss.

Honesty is a vital quantity a supervisor should have. Since they controlled their companies, if they cheat they will hurt the society a lot. Supervisors should always be responsible for their customers, employees and investors, and they should never regard money is every thing and do something illegally. For example, recently, several big American companies¡¦ fraud behaviours have been revealed by media, and these news has shaken the investors¡¦ confidence severely and has hurt American economy a lot. How can these things happen? Because the bosses of those companies are liars. They didn¡¦t want to let the public know what had really happened in their companies.

Secondly, A good supervisor should be smart. They must be clever and experienced managers so their companies can run well and earn money. Every employee are not willing to work in a bad-managed company where he or she is not well paid and may be laid off at any time. From Bell to GE, from ABB to HSBC, all the supervisors of these companies are clever, well educated and strictly selected; otherwise, these companies cannot run so long.

In conclusion, it is honesty and intelligence that an extraordinary supervisor should have because those quantities not only predict whether his/her company could run well but also predict whether his/her behaviour would benefit the society or hurt it.

Originally posted by bigAtom

About 10 months ago, I took TOEFL test and only got an essay score of 3.0. Now I am planning to transfer to another university which need a TOEFL score of 580, so I have to take TOEFL test again. I will appreciate you for pointing out my mistakes, because that will help me so much!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What kind of quantities (qualities - I hope that is your typo mistake) an excellent boss should have (should an excellent boss have)? Different person holds different opinion. (This sentence should be: Different people hold different opinions.) From my point of view, honesty and intelligence are (the) most important quantities (mistake again) of a good boss.

Honesty is a vital quantity (now I think it's not caused by typing:() a supervisor should have. Since they controlled (control) their companies, if they cheat they will hurt the society a lot. Supervisors should always be responsible for (no, be responsible for sth to sb) their customers, employees and investors, and they should never regard money is every thing (No, regard sth as sth) and do something illegally. For example, recently, several big American companies¡¦ fraud behaviours have been revealed by media, and these (that) news has shaken the investors¡¦ confidence severely and has hurt American economy a lot. How can these things happen? Because the bosses of those companies are liars. They didn¡¦t want to let the public know what had really happened in their companies.

Secondly, A good supervisor should be smart. They must be clever and experienced managers so their companies can run well and earn money. Every employee are (is) not willing to work in a bad-managed (badly managed) company where he or she is not well paid and may be laid off at any time. From Bell to GE, from ABB to HSBC, all the supervisors of these companies are clever, well educated and strictly selected; otherwise, these companies cannot run so long.

In conclusion, it is honesty and intelligence that an extraordinary supervisor should have because those quantities (again[:(!])not only predict whether his/her company could run well but also predict whether his/her behaviour would benefit the society or hurt it.

In general, your ideas sound good. You should strengthen your grammar skill.

Cheers,

• 4 months later...

Hi '

here is my essay:

Topic: #018

What are some important qualities of a good supervisor (boss)? Use specific details and examples to explain why these qualities are important

A supervisor/boss is one of the people who play a key role in determining the success or failure of any company or enterprise. A good/bad supervisor can be responsible for the up-liftment or downfall of a workplace. The most important qualities of a good supervisor according to me are: an ability to motivate & encourage, a keen sense of judgment & justice, sensitivity, good communication skills and last but not the least, intelligence.

If a supervisor or boss does not have an ability to motivate and inspire his subordinates, he will not be able to bring out the best in the people working under him/her. There may be very intelligent people working under him, but without motivation and inspiration, they may not be able to give their best. Moreover there are always some workers who have hidden abilities which do not surface unless they are motivated, in such a case the supervisor would not be able to tap their potential to the fullest extent.

A supervisor who does not have a keen sense of judgment and/or justice may be led astray by some elements in the workgroup who have ulterior or selfish motives in expressing certain opinions about the work or about other colleagues. The boss should have an ability to recognize these mischievous elements and take action before the work environment gets polluted.

A good boss will have a sensitivity to understand the psychology of his subordinates at a time in which they may be facing any personal crisis. If the boss provides support to the subordinate in whatever way he can, he can inspire a sense of loyalty in the subordinate and he in turn will make every effort to give his best to the company.

Good communication skills will allow the boss to convey his ideas to his colleagues and subordinates in a very effective manner. There will be no communication gap between what is required to be done and what is achieved. Intelligence is a factor which can earn the supervisor the respect of his colleagues and help to inspire others.

In conclusion I would say that in every company or office team work is what leads to success and this team work can be enhanced and led to the pinnacle of success by a good leader. Having a good leader is what helps in making a good enterprise into an excellent one.

I typed this in 27minutes[dance]

Malathi

Please comment my essay. :) :):shy:

What are some important qualities of a good supervisor (boss)? Use specific details and examples to explain why these qualities are important.

Some important qualities of a good supervisor(boss) are responsibility, discipline, organisation skills and good understanding capabilities.

Responsibility is the important quality that supervisor should possess because he will be responsible for many important things such as arranging meeting, status of the work done by the workers, due date of the projects to be completed. Generally, supervisor will be in charge for the projects. They are the people who will report to the head office about the project status, they are the first people to get all the instruction about the project specifications and designs. Supervisor is the one who will distribute the project among the workers.

Discipline is also important quality because it will help supervisor to attain goals on time. It will also help him to maintain discipline among the employees working under him. At the same time, Organisations skills are also important. One needs to get organised to attain goals in time. For example, if supervisor organises a schedule about how and when to do the project and follow the schedule with discipline he can attain the goal on time.

Supervisor should also have the quality of understanding and listening his workers. Without this ability supervisor cannot survive for long period in good companies. For example, in our office supervisor will help his employees to understand the project and also help them at time of difficult situations.

Last but not least, supervisor should also have leadership qualities like selflessness, good communication skills. Otherwise employees will not listen to him. For example, through good communication skills supervisor can convey or explain properly about the project and can give maximum information about the project. He can also clear employees doubts about the project.

In conclusion, responsibility, discipline, organisation skills, leadership and good understanding capabilities are important to be a supervisor. All these are important to attain successful company.

I HOPE I WILL NOT GET MANY GRAMMER MISTAKES. [heartbeat] PLEASE KET ME KNOW MY GRAMMER MISTAKES AND CORRECT ME :D

• 3 weeks later...

-------------------------

Am I off topic? How is my vocabulary..can anyone comment please..[heartbeat]

There are many skills or qualities that a good supervisor should have. Personally, I consider that a supervisor's job implies responsibility and hard work. Further, I will present several qualities, which I consider important for someone that occupies a boss chair.

Firstly, a good supervisor must possess good knowledge of the economic environment in which his firm operates. I imply the fact that a boss must be a clever person who knows very well all the factors that should help him develop the firm or the department he is leading. In addition, he must possess general knowledge about the entire activity, which is developed in the department, or firm he supervises. Otherwise, all the decisions he is making concerning any kind of activity, will have a bad starting point and therefore nothing good will come out by accomplishing these decisions.

Secondly, the supervisor must possess human psychology knowledge. It is quite hard to deal with people of different backgrounds and professional capabilities; therefore, I think that a good boss must know to talk to an average worker as easy as he knows to talk to a co-worker or a top manager. This is something that someone can achieve only by knowing very well the people he is dealing with or to somehow understand at a first glance what are these people like. In consequence, the supervisor must know very well all his subordinates, what are their capabilities, functions, working skills and what are they really capable of or to understand easily and fast their psychological profile.

Thirdly, I think that a good boss should engage some activities that strengthen the relations between employees and him. By doing this kind of activities, like organizing a Christmas party at the firm, he can become more popular among his colleagues and therefore it will be easier for him to count on them no matter of the hard decisions he will have to make concerning the welfare and the future development of the firm.

To sum up, there are many things to take in consideration while talking about the qualities of a supervisor. Responsibility, good knowledge, organizational skills and other ones that I emphasized above are only some of them. All in all, being a good supervisor implies hard work.

• 4 months later...

pls evaluate my assey..

Almost everybody has a boss in the life. Even the bosses have. Because everybody has a position in the social life and it is certain that there is position over all positions. So most people has something to say how a boss must be. In my essay I’ll try to say some about this.

First of all, a boss must exactly obey the rules her/himself. Because it is his duty that detecting and making everybody obey the rules. If he doesn’t obey, his staff never obeys. This is the result of the human nature. He must come to work on time and same for leaving as well. He mustn’t waste his time and just do his work, etc.; there is a proverb in our language expresses this situation. “The fish begins to spoil from its head.” This is just a point of view to make clear this circumstance.

Secondly, the boss must take care of his/her staff at work even in their private and social life. He must consider his staff’s needs, problems etc. He must see them as his needs and problems. It will impress his staff to see their boss crying while they are crying and to see laughing while they are laughing as well. Beside this he must be patient against all problems and be tolerant to his staff in their needs. This one is so important for a boss to improve the productivity of the work.

Thirdly, the boss’s manner must be equal for everybody. However his stuff is even old or young, woman or man, tall or short etc. He must avoid discrimination. Otherwise it affects badly the staff’s productivity. Of course he must consider the differences among his stuff and care the positions of them but he has to keep the balance in his relations.

Fourth and lastly, He must be so keen on trading his stuff. It is essential for a boss to share his knowledge which his staff need to know. It constitutes a circumstance of confidence. And of course, to do these, he must know all about his work. He should search whatever he doesn’t know. If he knows everything whatever he should do, it makes him impressive behind his stuff.

To sum up, what I want to say is, a boss must obey the rules especially himself, must consider whatever his stuff needs, must care to be equally in his manner and must know everything about his job and trade his stuff by sharing his knowledge.

Originally posted by ceste

pls evaluate my essay..

Almost everyone has a boss in the life. Even the bosses have. Because everybody has a position in the social life and it is certain that there is a position over all positions. So most people has something to say how a boss must be. In my essay I’ll try to say some about this.

First of all, a boss must exactly obey the rules herself/himself. Because it is his duty that detecting and making (to detect and make) everybody obeys the rules. If he doesn’t obey, his staff never obeys. This is the result of the human nature. He must come to work on time and same for leaving as well. (He must come to work on time and leave on time as well) He must not (In formal writing, you do not put ' to seperate verb and not) waste his time and just do his work, etc.; there is a proverb in our language expressing this situation. “The fish begins to spoil from its head.” This is just a point of view to make clear this circumstance.

Secondly, the boss must take care of his/her staff at work even in their private and social life. (the boss must take care of his employees even in their private and social life) He must consider his staff’s needs, problems etc. He must see them as his needs and problems. It will impress his staff to see their boss crying while they are crying and to see laughing while they are laughing as well. Beside this (Besides,) he must be patient against all problems and be tolerant to his staff in their needs. This one is so (If so, where is that, use very instead) important for a boss to improve the productivity of the work.

Thirdly, the boss’s (boss') manner must be equal for everybody However his stuff is even old or young, woman or man, tall or short etc. (, whether his staff is old or young, woman or man, tall or short) He must avoid discrimination. Otherwise it affects badly the staff’s productivity (It affects the productivity of the staff badly) . Of course he must consider the differences among his staff and care the positions of them but he has to keep the balance in his relations.

Fourth and lastly, He must be so keen on trading his stuff. It is essential for a boss to share his knowledge which his staff need to know. It constitutes a circumstance of confidence. And of course, to do these, he must know all about his work. He should search whatever he doesn’t know. If he knows everything whatever he should do (he should know), it makes him impressive behind (to) his staff.

To sum up, what I want to say is, a boss must obey the rules especially himself, must consider whatever his staff needs, must care to be equally (equal or fair) in his manner and must know everything about his job and trade his stuff by sharing his knowledge. (share his knowledge)

Overall I am not impressed by your essay. You have made a lot of blatant grammatical mistakes, and these are the ones only catching to my eyes. You really ought to work on grammar.

• 2 months later...

Topic:

People sometimes talk about the qualities of a good supervisor. With regard to this issue, I have the opinion that a correct situation decision and fairness are the most important to be a good supervisor in that a supervisor with a correct situation decision can lead successfully his or her employee and fairness enable a supervisor to determine correctly him or her.

First of all, a correct situation decision is the first quality to be a good supervisor. It is true that a correct situation decision enable a supervisor to lead other people to a correct way. Without this quality, the department or organization is likely to drive wrong direction. For example, my supervisor in my old company ask my department to write a unnecessary document. Finally, this wrong document make my department busy and he is admonished by boss. In this manner, a leader without a correct situation decision can lead a department or organization to wrong direction.

Second of all, fairness is another quality of a good supervisor. People agree that fair person can evaluate his or her employee correctly. For example, in many companies, a supervisor without a fairness can not evaluate correctly the roles of employees. This wrong decision can make employee desperation and this failures can produce a bad effect on whole organization.

In conclusion, if I must choose the qualities of a good supervisor, my choice would be correct situation decision and fairness. A correct situation decision is essential to lead people to good direction and fairness is important to evaluate correctly employee. If there is a company that have a lot of supervisors who can determine well difficult problems which the company have and who evaluate correctly people, I think that the organization is doomed to be successful.

A good supervisor must have many qualities in order to be successful. I believe that the most important qualities of a good supervisor are ability to make decisions, education, and appearance.

The ability to make decisions is very important for a boss or supervisor because the success of the company depends on these people’s decisions. For instance, one becomes a boss or supervisor because management believes that he or she is better than other employees. People trust this person and they listen to commands of this person. Often, when making decisions, a boss or supervisor is not able to ask somebody else what they should do, and they have to rely only on their own judgment. Moreover, supervisors have to solve problems of other employees. Correct decisions will make any business or company successful. Wrong decisions might put a company or business into turmoil and even cause bankruptcy.

Education is very important because it is a base for making right decisions. Aristotle once said, “The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living from the dead.” I agree with Aristotle, and I think there is a great difference between an educated boss and an uneducated boss. Education is the most important factor of any successful business, and a boss or supervisor must be educated in order to achieve this success.

How a boss or supervisor looks is very important, because people’s first impressions come from how people look. To illustrate, if a boss wears clean clothes, people might assume that he or she is very accurate. Some companies have special clothes that symbolize those companies. If one wears dirty clothes, people might disrespect this person. Then, if this person is in the position of a boss or a supervisor, employees will not listen to what he or she tells them to do. Often some garments show other people that one is a supervisor or a boss. For example, this might be white shirt or a suit.

For all these reasons, I believe that the most important qualities of a good boss or supervisor are the ability to make decisions, education and appearance.