Urch Forums

2014 Admission Results: Operations Management

snickers

I have also applied to CMU,MIT, Stanford and Columbia. No news from these schools, gradcafe or elsewhere.

Apparently, CMU's OM program sent out the interviews, today.

Don't you think it's too strange that we have not heard anything from Columbia GSB? According to GC posts, GSB admits its student just after IEOR admits its students! I think at least the interview offers have been sent out,

BTW, did you apply to any OR programs as well?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stochastic Modelling and Optimization.No,Not yet..i had two interviews with them..dont think i got through..:/ .. Do you have an idea what percentage of people who are interviewed get through and the final number of accepts? i see 4 posts on GC already.

The professor who was interviewing me told me that they usually admit 7-8 people every year to ensure that 2-3 enrol in the program. FYI, here's their admission statistics from previous years. http://tinyurl.com/lzapdlx

The interviewer at kellog told me that they were still in the process of interviewing and it would take some more time. however, I see many posts on GC about the accepts. I dont think its a rolling process or is it?? Thought i would definately make it. surprizing enough :upset:

The interviewer at kellog told me that they were still in the process of interviewing and it would take some more time. however, I see many posts on GC about the accepts. I dont think its a rolling process or is it?? Thought i would definately make it. surprizing enough :upset:

I also did an interview by kellogg but have not heard back from them. Do you know how many people are in for interview?

Institution Name: GaTech

Concentration (e.g. Strategy, OT, OB): Operations Management

Date of Notification: 02/09/2014

Type of Notification (e.g. email/phone/snail mail): email

Notification (e.g. Interview / Waitlisted / Accepted): Campus visit

Posted on GradCafe?: Yes

Comments: Campus visit on Feb 24th :)

Institution Name: GaTech

Concentration (e.g. Strategy, OT, OB): Operations Management

Date of Notification: 02/09/2014

Notification (e.g. Interview / Waitlisted / Accepted): Campus visit

Comments: Campus visit on Feb 24th :)

Congrats. I hope you get it.

Well, I don't think it is. But, strangely enough, Kellogg's admitted applicants have a tendency of rejecting the offer and joining another school. This is clear from their pretty high acceptance rate (compared to other business schools). So, don't lose hope. The admit day is in mid March. If enough people reject the offer, you will hear from them late in March.

I also did an interview by kellogg but have not heard back from them. Do you know how many people are in for interview?

At least 10. The Prof who was interviewing me said he's interviewing 3. Another prof is going to interview 3, and another one 4. So, at least 10!

BTW, do you guys mind sharing your result (interviews/offers/rejections) with us?

Ask yourself this...what will happen if Northwestern hears that one of their admits will attend another school, assuming the highly-competitive applicants (like those with admits to Kellogg) are receiving multiple offers? My answer to that question leads me to believe that it HAS to be a rolling process. Don't lose hope. Many of the top candidates get multiple offers and they can only attend one school. This leaves people like you and me poised to still land in a good position when those top candidates make their decision. Patience on your part will be the key. The longer that a top candidate with multiple offers waits to accept, the more likely that the schools on their cutting-room floor will have to get deep in their wait list to find an available candidate. E.G. #1 choice for Kellogg does not accept, but sits on the offer for a long time. So Kellogg goes back to the drawing board late in the process only to find that #2 and #3 have already committed to another school (they could not wait). And there sits kash1234 as a viable candidate at #4 (a lot of assumptions there, but I hope that you get my point). The longer top candidates wait, and the the longer that you can stand to wait, the more likely it is for this scenario to play out. If you freak out and accept an offer from a backup school, you are in the same boat as #2 and #3. What you have to determine for yourself is your threshold for waiting. That's all that you can control at this point.

Well, I don't think it is. But, strangely enough, Kellogg's admitted applicants have a tendency of rejecting the offer and joining another school. This is clear from their pretty high acceptance rate (compared to other business schools). So, don't lose hope. The admit day is in mid March. If enough people reject the offer, you will hear from them late in March.

^beat me to the punch S3!

Ask yourself this...what will happen if Northwestern hears that one of their admits will attend another school, assuming the highly-competitive applicants (like those with admits to Kellogg) are receiving multiple offers? My answer to that question leads me to believe that it HAS to be a rolling process. Don't lose hope. Many of the top candidates get multiple offers and they can only attend one school. This leaves people like you and me poised to still land in a good position when those top candidates make their decision. Patience on your part will be the key. The longer that a top candidate with multiple offers waits to accept, the more likely that the schools on their cutting-room floor will have to get deep in their wait list to find an available candidate. E.G. #1 choice for Kellogg does not accept, but sits on the offer for a long time. So Kellogg goes back to the drawing board late in the process only to find that #2 and #3 have already committed to another school (they could not wait). And there sits kash1234 as a viable candidate at #4 (a lot of assumptions there, but I hope that you get my point). The longer top candidates wait, and the the longer that you can stand to wait, the more likely it is for this scenario to play out. If you freak out and accept an offer from a backup school, you are in the same boat as #2 and #3. What you have to determine for yourself is your threshold for waiting. That's all that you can control at this point.

I couldn't have put it any better myself.

Let me just add that it is wiser to decline the offers you really do not want as soon as possible. The reason for this is not the people who are waiting in line after you. No, don't get me wrong. It is nice to be nice. But, you should not forget that 4-5 years from now, you'll be interviewing for jobs in these schools. You do not want them to have a bad impression of you.

I couldn't have put it any better myself.

Let me just add that it is wiser to decline the offers you really do not want as soon as possible. The reason for this is not the people who are waiting in line after you. No, don't get me wrong. It is nice to be nice. But, you should not forget that 4-5 years from now, you'll be interviewing for jobs in these schools. You do not want them to have a bad impression of you.

Hmm..ya I think I'll keep columbia ieor for the lack of any better options..let's sit back and wait..

Institution Name: INSEAD

Concentration (e.g. Strategy, OT, OB): Technology And Operations Management

Date of Notification: 02/13/2014

Notification (e.g. Interview / Waitlisted / Accepted): Waitlisted

Comments: Long time lurker, first post here. If someone who got the offer ALREADY accepted/declined it, I would appreciate a hint.

Edited by scoop
In accordance with the mega-thread advice

I totally agree! I think it's best to hold on to the most likely school that we will go to in case we haven't heard from your dream program, and inform the other schools ASAP about our decision to not attend. It helps you, the school and the others in line. As eventual prof said, you will not only be interviewing with these schools in 4-5 years but the other applicants will be your colleagues in 4-5 years :) live and let live!

I did interview with kellogg, Ross, Krannert, Johnson, Smith, McCombs and Kelley. And I have not heard back from any of those!!:dejected: Can you believe this? Tired of waiting.

Reminder:

1) All good things come to those who wait.

2) All good things come in pairs.

I have first hand experience. Believe me!

BTW, I know that Kellogg has already made a few offers as you can see on TheGradCafe, and Ross is planning to send out the offers next week.