Urch Forums

2014 Admission Results: Operations Management

snickers

This is why top PhD program places people well. Not because Stanford habitually hires from MIT etc. but because MIT is good at producing productive people.

LOL! Your answer suits those with acceptances in the "top" schools. What about mere mortals like me? When I don't have acceptances from the established top programs, I have to look at research productivity, and hope that within the next 4-5 years the program's strength and reputation would grow. For eg., UMD does not have great placement records but they are a strong program, their reputation increasing year by year. So, if I had UMD in my bag, I definitely would consider going there.

Anyway my point is, I agree, placements are important. But just like how research productivity can not be the ONLY ranking method, placements can not determine the PhD program's overall ranking.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy oh boy. It seems quieter than I would have expected in March! I happen to be in two post-interview holding patterns with no acceptances, and I think my psyche would appreciate even the slightest hint as to which way they're leaning. I loved them both, so it's tough. I'm wearing my phone out by checking my email every 7 minutes. I did have a question, and since this is the Ops space and we're super geeky over math, I'm going to ask it algebraically:

Let x = the number of days a POI said it would take for the committee to decide and then the POI would contact you. In terms of x, how long should I wait before contacting the POI and asking for a status update? If it helps at all, I've already contacted him once for a thank you/interview follow-up and was told that he would be in touch.

Hi urchers!

I was away for some work for last few days. I am happy to note that I have accepted one of the 3 offers and have withdrawn from everywhere else.:eager: It has really been a delight + stressful experience! All I can say is that at the start of the season, I did not think that I will be the one saying 'No!".. But honestly, all the ad-coms that I had an opportunity to interact with were amazing. It really was hard to refuse the other offers but I am sure that I have made a right choice.

All the best to everyone. :encouragement:

Hi urchers!

I was away for some work for last few days. I am happy to note that I have accepted one of the 3 offers and have withdrawn from everywhere else.:eager: It has really been a delight + stressful experience! All I can say is that at the start of the season, I did not think that I will be the one saying 'No!".. But honestly, all the ad-coms that I had an opportunity to interact with were amazing. It really was hard to refuse the other offers but I am sure that I have made a right choice.

Congratulations :) Hope we run into each other in some conference!

I have withdrawn my applications and declined all but one offer. Waiting to hear from one more school. I have had a couple of interviews with them! If I get in, it'll be decision time. If not, well, I know where I am headed :)

Good luck to you guys. Keep us posted!

Hi urchers!

Oh! It's nice to see people got admitted to one of their dream schools. I wish I knew which school it is. ;)

I have accepted my offer from Ross, and declined Cornell and UTD.. just FYI for anyone who is waiting to hear form these schools...

Hey aravind. Congratulations for Ross. Thank you for deciding and acting quickly on behalf of fellow waitlisted students :)

UT Austin or Maryland? Any suggestion is welcomed.

It's best if you go by professors. In other words, if you know what you want to do, look for professors that are working on that topic and see which ones are better and place their students better.

UT Austin or Maryland? Any suggestion is welcomed.

If you are interested in Healthcare, then Maryland for sure. If you are unsure about your research, both in terms of the area as well as the type of research (analytical/empirical), then I'd say go with UT-Austin. UTA has a huge department, with a lot of inter-departmental work going on.

Has anyone heard anything back from either Florida (ISOM) or UNC (Ops)? I've only gotten radio silence from them, and they're the final two schools I'm waiting on before officially putting everything to rest and accepting an offer.

I think UNC has extended offers.