Urch Forums

2014 Admission Results: Operations Management

snickers

Thanks for your advice :)

I was very frank with this Prof and said that I have 3 schools in my top tier including his, and I need to know results from all 3 before making a decision. He was very supportive as well and said that he will recommend my name to the Phd coordinator in any case (actually last year both of the students they selected rejected their offers in April and they couldnt find replacements, hence he wanted to gauge my interest beforehand).

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have first hand experience? (you yourself or someone whom you know personally getting an interview?)

I am asking because i need to rule Wharton out so that I can confirm another potential offer, the Prof. from another school asked me whether I will "definitely join his school if an offer was made" and I need to reply to him. Email to Wharton is unanswered after more than a week now.

@gc98835 - I just got a reply from my POI at Wharton. He said all the interview invites for OPIM have already been sent out. :sorrow: So, my first rejection! :sorrow: Wharton was too long a shot for me, still it hurts...

Institution Name: University of Pennsylvania, Wharton

Concentration (e.g. Strategy, OT, OB): OPIM

Date of Notification: 2/5/2014

Type of Notification (e.g. email/phone/snail mail): Informal reply from POI

Notification (e.g. Interview / Waitlisted / Accepted): Rejected

Posted on GradCafe?: Not yet, but will.

Comments: My first rejection. :upset:

Institution Name: University of Texas at Dallas

Concentration (e.g. Strategy, OT, OB): Operations Management

Type of Notification (e.g. email/phone/snail mail): Informal reply from POI

Notification (e.g. Interview / Waitlisted / Accepted): Rejected

Posted on GradCafe?: Not yet, but will.

Comments: My second rejection.

@gc98835 - I just got a reply from my POI at Wharton. He said all the interview invites for OPIM have already been sent out. :sorrow: So, my first rejection! :sorrow: Wharton was too long a shot for me, still it hurts...

Don't worry! You didn't miss much. They've gone too soft (empirical) in the last few years. I don't think they can keep up their top placement record for much long. I heard this from a few professors in top 20 BSs.

BTW, what other top schools do you know that have sent out their interviews? I know that in Top10, other that Penn, Michigan and NWestern have sent out their interviews. Do you know of any other schools?

Don't worry. You didn't miss much. They've gone too soft (empirical) in the last few years. I don't think they can keep up their top placement record for much longer. I heard this from a few professor in top 20 BSs.

BTW, what other top 10 schools do you know that have sent out their interviews? I know that in USNEWS's Top 10, besides Penn, Michigan and NWestern have sent out their interviews. Do you know of any other schools?

BTW, what other top 10 schools do you know that have sent out their interviews? I know that in USNEWS's Top 10, besides Penn, Michigan and NWestern have sent out their interviews. Do you know of any other schools?

@S3845714NB - There are only a few schools from T10 where I dared to apply to. As far as I know, those three schools are the only ones from US News top-10 schools that sent out interview invites (based on replies from my POIs and GradCafe results).

Don't worry. You didn't miss much. They've gone too soft (empirical) in the last few years.

So what are some good schools that combine both analytical as well as empirical research? I have had the chance to attend interviews with 2 schools - one empirical and one extremely analytical. They each tried their best to sell their research. Now, I'm just totally confused. I was hoping the shift from OR to OM will give me the chance to ask questions that have some real world applications. But the survey methods of the empirical research doesn't fascinate me either. :(

So what are some good schools that combine both analytical as well as empirical research? I have had the chance to attend interviews with 2 schools - one empirical and one extremely analytical. They each tried their best to sell their research. Now, I'm just totally confused. I was hoping the shift from OR to OM will give me the chance to ask questions that have some real world applications. But the survey methods of the empirical research doesn't fascinate me either. :(

I enjoy a combination of them. 10-20% empirical work, rest analysis (Hardcore analysis). I would say the bests in this field are MIT ORC, Stanford GSB and MSE, and Columbia GSB. Tier 2 schools in this field would probably be Tepper, Kellogg, Booth, Stern, Ross, Anderson and Insead. Keep in mind that some of these schools have only one really good faculty member in analysis. (I am assuming you're into stochastic modeling. If you're into optimization or game theory, you'd better talk to sb else)

@S3845714NB - There are only a few schools from T10 where I dared to apply to. As far as I know, those three schools are the only ones from US News top-10 schools that sent out interview invites (based on replies from my POIs and GradCafe results).

It smells fishy. I would expect Clumbia GSB to have at least interviewed a few people. Specially since the IEOR department has already sent out the offers.

I enjoy a combination of them. 10-20% empirical work, rest analysis (Hardcore analysis). I would say the bests in this field are MIT ORC, Stanford GSB and MSE, and Columbia GSB. Tier 2 schools in this field would probably be Tepper, Kellogg, Booth, Stern, Ross, Anderson and Insead. Keep in mind that some of these schools have only one really good faculty member in analysis. (I am assuming you're into stochastic modeling. If you're into optimization or game theory, you'd better talk to sb else)

Right, I'm into game theory, econometric modeling, etc. The sad part is schools are either totally empirical or totally analytical. They are not what they claim to be. The professors who published in areas of my interest have moved on to other stuff :P And I didn't apply to schools which are at present publishing in those areas. Ha, maybe I'll have to sit this year out. I so don't want to, considering I almost have 2 admits (Well, unofficially).

Thanks anyway :)

So, I have news! :) Got done with a 5 hour interview at Ohio State and then got an email from a professor at UT-Dallas(not the chair though) inviting me to an informal phone interview. Been a good couple of days.

5-hour interview?!! You're kidding. Mine never go beyond 25 minutes. Were you asking questions?

5-hour interview?!! You're kidding. Mine never go beyond 25 minutes. Were you asking questions?

Lol, none of my phone interviews have gone beyond half an hour. But this was a campus interview. Half an hour with each of the 6 professor and then a 1 hour lunch with 2 of them. But it wasn't that bad actually. They just kept asking me the same things in different ways:

1. What's your ultimate career goal.

2. Ig given an admit, how likely are you to come here.

Lol, none of my phone interviews have gone beyond half an hour. But this was a campus interview. Half an hour with each of the 6 professor and then a 1 hour lunch with 2 of them. But it wasn't that bad actually. They just kept asking me the same things in different ways:

1. What's your ultimate career goal.

2. Ig given an admit, how likely are you to come here.

If they really want you on board, they should have brought in Urban Meyer to close the deal.

Hey guys,

How's it going? How many of you have already got offers?

I know this is not very related to this forum. But, I think some of you might be interested in this. I have applied to 5 OR departments alongside the few business schools that I have applied to and today, I got an offer from one of them. It is a realy good news for me since I was really stressed out and I like the research that is being done in this deparment. Long story short, I got an offer to the PhD program in the IEOR department at Columbia University. I'm thinking of actually going to this school unless I get an offer from a much better school. What do you guys think?

Hey guys,

How's it going? How many of you have already got offers?

I know this is not very related to this forum. But, I think some of you might be interested in this. I have applied to 5 OR departments alongside the few business schools that I have applied to and today, I got an offer from one of them. It is a realy good news for me since I was really stressed out and I like the research that is being done in this deparment. Long story short, I got an offer to the PhD program in the IEOR department at Columbia University. I'm thinking of actually going to this school unless I get an offer from a much better school. What do you guys think?

Wow, congrats :) Yup, I think it should definitely be on the top of your list, especially if you like the research there!

So none of us in OM have an admit from a business school yet? Seriously?

Well, after seeing this, I was hoping that I would hear word back from ANY school on Friday. Unfortunately, it ended up being my first rejection (Rochester). I probably should have been more specific with my hoping :apple:

Well, after seeing this, I was hoping that I would hear word back from ANY school on Friday. Unfortunately, it ended up being my first rejection (Rochester). I probably should have been more specific with my hoping :apple:

Aww, I'm sorry! It'll get better soon :)

Institution Name: Johnson at Cornell

Date of Notification: 2/12/2014

Type of Notification (e.g. email/phone/snail mail): Mail

Notification (e.g. Interview / Waitlisted / Accepted): Accepted

Posted on GradCafe?: Yes

Comments: First admit

Institution Name: UT Dallas Naveen Jindal

Notification (e.g. Interview / Waitlisted / Accepted): Interview

Comments: Informal interview with a prof. Will get it most probably.

Institution Name: U Michigan Stephen Ross

Date of Notification: 2/14/2014

Comments: The co-ordinator said that results would be published only in early March. I'm confident of making it.

I have also applied to CMU,MIT, Stanford and Columbia. No news from these schools, gradcafe or elsewhere.

Institution Name: Johnson at Cornell

Date of Notification: 2/12/2014

Notification (e.g. Interview / Waitlisted / Accepted): Accepted

Comments: First admit

Institution Name: UT Dallas Naveen Jindal

Comments: Informal interview with a prof. Will get it most probably.

Institution Name: U Michigan Stephen Ross

Date of Notification: 2/14/2014

Comments: The co-ordinator said that results would be published only in early March. I'm confident of making it.

I have also applied to CMU,MIT, Stanford and Columbia. No news from these schools, gradcafe or elsewhere.

Oh my goodness, congratulations :)