Posted on GradCafe?: No but will.

Comments: ​Yaay, I can finally use my excel sheet :P

nstitution Name: UT Dallas Naveen Jindal School of Business

Concentration (e.g. Strategy, OT, OB): Operations Management

Date of Notification: 02/25/2014

Type of Notification (e.g. email/phone/snail mail): Email

Notification (e.g. Interview / Waitlisted / Accepted): Accepted

Posted on GradCafe?: No

Comments: ​Already knew..official notific now..

nstitution Name: UT Dallas Naveen Jindal School of Business

Concentration (e.g. Strategy, OT, OB): Operations Management

Date of Notification: 02/25/2014

Type of Notification (e.g. email/phone/snail mail): Email

Posted on GradCafe?: No

Comments: ​Already knew..official notific now..

Congratulations :)

Institution Name: U Michigan Ross School of Business

Concentration (e.g. Strategy, OT, OB): Technology and Operations

Date of Notification: 02/27/2014

Type of Notification (e.g. email/phone/snail mail): Phone

Posted on GradCafe?: Yes

Comments: ​Super relieved!! I thought I'll be waitlisted, but this is definitely a surprise!

Comments: ​Super relieved!! I thought I'll be waitlisted, but this is definitely a surprise!

Cool. So, there's a chance we might be classmates. :)

Congratulations :) So Ross it is?

Congrats!! i think for thepeople getting multiple offers,the onus is upon us to make a decision early to help the felllow aspirants who are waitlisted..

Which offer are you going to accept?

Well, I am still waiting to hear from one specific school. So, my decision will be based upon that. I may decline some offers even before that, but it's too early now. I will definitely post here once I inform the schools first.

It looks like this your first post :) Welcome. Would you mind telling us about a little about your acceptances? :)

Well, I am still waiting to hear from one specific school. So, my decision will be based upon that. I may decline some offers even before that, but it's too early now. I will definitely post here once I inform the schools first.

It looks like this your first post :) Welcome. Would you mind telling us about a little about your acceptances? :)

Thanks. Well, congratulations on your four acceptances and 7 interviews. You must have a very solid profile.

Out of the 8 schools that i applied to, I heard only from one (Texas A&M). Of course, it was a rejection.

I applied to Minnesota as well but I haven't heard anything from them. I emailed them last Friday when i saw a couple of interviews on GC, they told me to hold out hope. So, that's why i asked you about your decision. If you decide not to attend Minnestoa, please let them now right away.

I come from a poverty stricken and politically unstable country. So hope has been part of my entire life.

Thanks. Well, congratulations on your four acceptances and 7 interviews. You must have a very solid profile.

Out of the 8 schools that i applied to, I heard only from one (Texas A&M). Of course, it was a rejection.

I applied to Minnesota as well but I haven't heard anything from them. I emailed them last Friday when i saw a couple of interviews on GC, they told me to hold out hope. So, that's why i asked you about your decision. If you decide not to attend Minnestoa, please let them now right away.

I come from a poverty stricken and politically unstable country. So hope has been part of my entire life.

I definitely will let the schools know as soon as I decide. In the meantime, do be hopeful :) It'll all work out in the end. Good luck!

Which offer are you going to accept?

Hi, thought I should let you know! Even though I haven't made a decision as to which school I am headed to, I did politely decline offers from 2 schools. Hope you hear from either or both of them :) Good luck!

Hi, thought I should let you know! Even though I haven't made a decision as to which school I am headed to, I did politely decline offers from 2 schools. Hope you hear from either or both of them :) Good luck!

Thanks for letting me know. I respect those who have I respect those who have a sense of social responsibility. Which offers did you decline?

I am curious to know your profile, if you don't mind.

Thanks and all the best.

Thanks for letting me know. I respect those who have I respect those who have a sense of social responsibility. Which offers did you decline?

I am curious to know your profile, if you don't mind.

Thanks and all the best.

I will PM the schools names to you!

As far as my profile, its not that great. My 4 admits have all been in good school but not in the top 10 or anything. There are many others on this forum with better profiles and better admits :)

Don't worry about all that now! What is important is how much we can learn and accomplish in the next 4-5 years! I really hope you get the school of your choice. Keep us posted :)

I will PM the schools names to you!

As far as my profile, its not that great. My 4 admits have all been in good school but not in the top 10 or anything. There are many others on this forum with better profiles and better admits :)

Don't worry about all that now! What is important is how much we can learn and accomplish in the next 4-5 years! I really hope you get the school of your choice. Keep us posted :)

One irrelevant question. How do you rank schools? The only ranking of OM programs that I know of is USNEWS Production/Operations and that is an MBA ranking. Do you guys know of a PhD ranking for OM?

One irrelevant question. How do you rank schools? The only ranking of OM programs that I know of is USNEWS Production/Operations and that is an MBA ranking. Do you guys know of a PhD ranking for OM?

This isn't the most ideal ranking as it does not take into account department size but it's a good indication of the research productivity. Search by Journal, University, Author and Article - Naveen Jindal School of Management - The UTD Top 100 Business School Research Rankings

Choose the year and the journals to get a ranking!

P.S. : Even though it's by UTD, the info is publicly available and hence, this is considered to be a fair indicator.

The only relevant ranking criterion is past placement which is a strong predictor of future placement. All you need to do is to look at top 10-20 schools and see where faculties in your area of interest are coming from (or look at entire placement history which is often not available easily). You will see that school which are seemingly productive, have good brand recognition etc. often have very poor placement. So many any other rankings (e.g., paper or citation counts) are often misleading.

The only relevant ranking criterion is past placement which is a strong predictor of future placement. All you need to do is to look at top 10-20 schools and see where faculties in your area of interest are coming from (or look at entire placement history which is often not available easily). You will see that school which are seemingly productive, have good brand recognition etc. often have very poor placement. So many any other rankings (e.g., paper or citation counts) are often misleading.

Placements are important but I wouldn't say they are the only relevant criterion. 1. Wharton, Harvard, Stern, etc etc hire from each other. So, for those not in the top 5, it's that much harder to get placed well. 2. Most profs in Columbia and Stanford do not get tenure even after 5-6 years. So, does being placed in Stanford matter that much? 3. Irrespective of where we are placed, research productivity is key to a successful career.

So, I guess my point is placements are important but not the be-all and end-all of live!

1. Wharton, Harvard, Stern, etc etc hire from each other. So, for those not in the top 5, it's that much harder to get placed well.

Exactly my point: this is why past placement matters so much!

2. Most profs in Columbia and Stanford do not get tenure even after 5-6 years. So, does being placed in Stanford matter that much?

Yes, it does! Where do people go if they are not tenured at Stanford? Another top 10-20 school. But if you don't get tenure at a top-20 school then you fall much-much further down.

3. Irrespective of where we are placed, research productivity is key to a successful career.

And a good PhD program does exactly this: it teaches you to be productive. That is the big difference. This is why top PhD program places people well. Not because Stanford habitually hires from MIT etc. but because MIT is good at producing productive people.