Urch Forums

2015 Accounting Interview/Admission/Rejection Results

crosseyed

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats! Can you please shed some light on the process? When was the interview? What type of questions were asked etc.? Few titbits about ur profile. Are you Canadian/us citizen? Any ideas on how many offers they are willing to extend? Last date for accepting the offer. Thanks.

Yeah I got the offer - ecstatic!

Got a rejection email from Seattle. Surprised and devastated. :sorrow::dejected: I was very much interested in their program. I think probably I should have said that explicitly. Not sure how I could have shown more interest. They asked me which professor I would like to work with. I answered that I did go through the profile of their professors and find a research fit with the department. However, I wouldn't like to take specific names. This made them visibly disappointed. Not sure if I should have said the name of few professors. Any suggestions would be great. Can I send an email to the department regarding helping me to understand why I was rejected? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oh no! I'm sorry you got rejected and that you're so bummed about it.

Probably being ready to name a few professors going forward would be your best bet. Otherwise it might give the school the impression you aren't fully committed or interested in it.

They rejected you? Screw it! Haven't you had contact from several schools at this point? That is more than most of us, so remember you're doing well. And I have zero experience with this, but as long as you are polite I don't think you have anything to lose by asking for some feedback regarding your rejection. It's a fair and logical question for anyone to have, just remember to be kind.

Keep your head up!

Got a rejection email from Seattle. Surprised and devastated. :sorrow::dejected: I was very much interested in their program. I think probably I should have said that explicitly. Not sure how I could have shown more interest. They asked me which professor I would like to work with. I answered that I did go through the profile of their professors and find a research fit with the department. However, I wouldn't like to take specific names. This made them visibly disappointed. Not sure if I should have said the name of few professors. Any suggestions would be great. Can I send an email to the department regarding helping me to understand why I was rejected? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry about that. Look from the bright side! You still got Yale and MIT waiting for you.

Congrats! Can you please shed some light on the process? When was the interview? What type of questions were asked etc.? Few titbits about ur profile. Are you Canadian/us citizen? Any ideas on how many offers they are willing to extend? Last date for accepting the offer. Thanks.

Sure:

Research interests: Financial accounting

GMAT Score: 720

Undergraduate education and GPA: Business; not really sure about GPA as it was on a percentage scale (82%+)

Graduate studies: Currently in an MSc Finance program

LORs: 3 in total; 1 from a highly published prof. in accounting (top journals), 1 from a decently published but experienced finance prof, and 1 from an up a quickly rising finance prof. (top journals)

Industry Experience: 3 years in a Big 4 Accounting firm; holding a CA

Research experience: None prior to the current MSc program

TA experience: TA for undergraduate final year OB and accounting courses

The interviews were quite extensive and I met interviewed at times jointly and at times independently with members of the adcom. I suppose they would ask different questions based on your background, but for me it was about why I wanted to pursue research instead of continuing in industry, which was by the grace of God going well for me. They were also interested in specific research areas but not specific research topics. They all are very genuine and care for the students. As far as I know, they have not necessarily finished extending offers, but not sure how many they will be offering.

So you are a Canadian?

Sure:

Undergraduate education and GPA: Business; not really sure about GPA as it was on a percentage scale (82%+)

LORs: 3 in total; 1 from a highly published prof. in accounting (top journals), 1 from a decently published but experienced finance prof, and 1 from an up a quickly rising finance prof. (top journals)

The interviews were quite extensive and I met interviewed at times jointly and at times independently with members of the adcom. I suppose they would ask different questions based on your background, but for me it was about why I wanted to pursue research instead of continuing in industry, which was by the grace of God going well for me. They were also interested in specific research areas but not specific research topics. They all are very genuine and care for the students. As far as I know, they have not necessarily finished extending offers, but not sure how many they will be offering.

Thanks for posting your profile Shafi! Good Luck! Anyone got a call from Wharton or Duke? On Gradcafe someone posted that the person was rejected from Wharton.

Sure:

Yeah I've heard nothing from 4/6 schools I've applied to all with deadlines between Jan 1-Jan 22nd. It is making me bananas. Although the of the two schools I have heard from, nothing is posted here or on Grad Cafe. So maybe quite a few of us are just playing things close to the vest?

Would you care to share which 2 you've heard from?

Not sure about others, but I have posted all the interview calls on Gradcafe. I applied to 16 and have received calls from 7 schools. Interviewed with 5, 2 calls scheduled today, rejected by 1, and yet to hear back from other 4 schools. Not expecting to get interview calls from Toronto and UNC (UNC - admin goofup). Can someone let me know if Stanford and Wharton have made any calls? Thanks.

Yeah I've heard nothing from 4/6 schools I've applied to all with deadlines between Jan 1-Jan 22nd. It is making me bananas. Although the of the two schools I have heard from, nothing is posted here or on Grad Cafe. So maybe quite a few of us are just playing things close to the vest?

Not sure why there is so less activity for accounting.

The activity has been slow recently but there was a decent amount in early-mid January. Speaking from personal experience, I had a few Skype interviews in that time period and have six campus visits upcoming in February/early March. So there may be some downtime in between when candidates are first contacted and when the first round of campus visits are conducted, leading to a dry period for results reporting. Some schools may also wait until these visits occur before contacting the next round of candidates.

Congrats on getting calls! Would help the current and future applicants if you can kindly update Gradcafe. Thanks!

The activity has been slow recently but there was a decent amount in early-mid January. Speaking from personal experience, I had a few Skype interviews in that time period and have six campus visits upcoming in February/early March. So there may be some downtime in between when candidates are first contacted and when the first round of campus visits are conducted, leading to a dry period for results reporting. Some schools may also wait until these visits occur before contacting the next round of candidates.