Urch Forums

2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

tm_associate

Dear Friends,

Are there anyone who applied to the University of Arkansas Marketing Ph.D. program?

I am the one who applied for the program.

It would be great to share an information regarding the further steps of the admission process.

In brief, I haven't heard anything from the University of Arkansas up until now.

Hope to reach anyone who is currently on the admission process at UofArkansas.

Best,

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In brief, I haven't heard anything from the University of Arkansas up until now.

I just would like to say that it is really too soon to hear from schools or to even begin to sweat over it. Very few interviews are done in December. Things should start to improve by the end of January, then really pick up steam in February, and be mostly done by the end of March.

So, if you still have applications to send, focus on that. If applications are concluded, be ready in case there is any surprise, but do your best to try to enjoy your time doing something good, relax a little. Because soon the whole situation is expected to become a long and stressful rollercoaster.

Good luck everyone. Checking in for accounting. I’ve submitted most of my applications for the dec 15th deadline but I have a few more that aren’t due until January so I’ll submit around Christmas. I’m getting nervous to get everything in and hear back. Schools start moving right when busy season at work hits and that’s not a conversation I’m looking forward to.

Good Luck to all applicants from me too. I have finished applications to my shortlisted schools with Dec 15th deadline and a few with Jan first week deadline. Applications are time consuming in researching faculty and refining the SoP - any tips to handle this are most welcome. Also see my savings take a dip with these app fee, GMAT and TOEFL official score requirements. :dejected:

Hoping for the best.

Good luck everyone! Try to enjoy the holidays and the break if you get it. That being said I completely understand how stressful this time is for all of you. The good news is that in 4 years you'll be in my position, realizing you have exactly 4 months to finish your dissertation before you go on the job market next summer.

Good Luck to all applicants from me too. I have finished applications to my shortlisted schools with Dec 15th deadline and a few with Jan first week deadline. Applications are time consuming in researching faculty and refining the SoP - any tips to handle this are most welcome. Also see my savings take a dip with these app fee, GMAT and TOEFL official score requirements. :dejected:

Hoping for the best.

Yep, the good old savings account is looking pretty sad right now. Just two more applications to go on my end... Good luck to you too!

Good luck everyone! Try to enjoy the holidays and the break if you get it. That being said I completely understand how stressful this time is for all of you. The good news is that in 4 years you'll be in my position, realizing you have exactly 4 months to finish your dissertation before you go on the job market next summer.

That definitely sounds more stressful than my current situation. I actually find this whole process pretty exciting, although it can be tedious at times (and I might feel differently once interview season starts and the true sweating begins). Thank you and good luck to you too!

Just wanted to wish all of you good luck.

It is going to be a nerve-wrecking 3 months, but it will be over before you know it.

I had my first two interviews in December last year before the holidays. Some schools move incredibly fast through their application process and want to make offers as quickly as possible, but the great majority of schools doesn't start the interviewing process until January/February.

I remember that January was also very very slow.

It's also a fun time actually. You most likely have done all the hard work already (GMAT, sent out applications, etc) All you have to do now is wait and try not to drive yourself crazy. :monkey:

Just wanted to wish all of you good luck.

I see in your signature that you have done quite a few interviews : how much do they differ and what are the most difficult questions you were asked?

While I have done homework on the programs I applied to, I wonder how much more research needs to be done.. Two related articles per relevant professor that I wrote in my SOP is enough? How much do I need to know about the program in terms of courses or workshops?

Thanks! :)

I see in your signature that you have done quite a few interviews : how much do they differ and what are the most difficult questions you were asked?

Thanks! :)

All schools I interviewed with asked all of these questions:

Why a PhD?

Why our school?

Where do you see yourself after you have completed your PhD program?

And then the other questions varied a little bit. They asked about previous research experience and what I am currently interested in. It sure helps to know about their program and about the faculty members from each school, at least the ones you want to work with or the ones who you will be interviewing with.

I can't remember the hardest question I was asked. I don't think there was a very difficult question that tested my knowledge about anything. Maybe I was just lucky. I do remember one of my interviews didn't go as well as the other ones though. This was actually with a school I was quite interested in. For whatever reason I was very very tongue-tied and it seemed like I just stumbled over my own words throughout the whole interview. After I was done I was convinced that I must have sounded like an idiot to them. I didn't receive an offer from that school, but as it turned out that school decided not to accept any applicants that year at all - so my bad interview didn't hurt quite as bad after all.

I think I wasn't prepared as I should have been for some of my interviews. Oh I don't know if you need to know details about their offered courses. It seems more like a question you could ask them instead of having to answer it. They are supposed to tell you about their courses and workshops.

Make a list of questions you want to ask them and always be prepared for answering "Why a PhD?" first.

What is the field you are applying to?

What is the field you are applying to?

Thanks!

I am applying to OB (sociology) mostly and a few management programs.

What do they expect to hear as an answer to 'why PhD' besides that I know what I am getting into (more of less), I want to be a professor at a research university, and a PhD is the obvious route?

Question for those more familiar with the process: what does it mean for me if I see that a school/program I have applied to has started to send out interview invites and I did not receive one? I mean it’s obviously not ideal, but do schools generally send all interview invititations out at once or is there still hope that one might get one later?

Question for those more familiar with the process: what does it mean for me if I see that a school/program I have applied to has started to send out interview invites and I did not receive one? I mean it’s obviously not ideal, but do schools generally send all interview invititations out at once or is there still hope that one might get one later?

For most schools it is a continuous process. They have a few interviews then decide whether to admit, then have a few more interviews.

It only means that you haven't gotten an interview yet. For most schools it's cyclical. There's still lots of hope left. Good luck!

It only means that you haven't gotten an interview yet. For most schools it's cyclical. There's still lots of hope left. Good luck!

For most schools it is a continuous process. They have a few interviews then decide whether to admit, then have a few more interviews.

Thanks you two. Good to hear.

Those with full time jobs how are you guys handling interviews and working? I’ve had one interview so far that I scheduled on my lunch hour but it felt rushed I know from now on I’ll need more time. I literally had 5 minutes to get from work to my friends Home for skype then they had issues on their side that lead to faculty not arriving until 45 minutes later. How long are most interviews? I know my bosses won’t be happy once I tell them especially with tax season starting and I got a campus visit from that school I need to schedule.