Urch Forums

2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

tm_associate

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a program that you interviewed with said they had a few more candidates to interview and you would hear back by x date, y date at the latest what do you do when y date passes with still no word? Should I email or give it some more time? Does this mean I’m not a top pick and they are probably taking to other candidates first before talking with me again?

If a program that you interviewed with said they had a few more candidates to interview and you would hear back by x date, y date at the latest what do you do when y date passes with still no word? Should I email or give it some more time? Does this mean I’m not a top pick and they are probably taking to other candidates first before talking with me again?

Same boat here, and I just want to shout out to ask for advice from previous applicants/current Ph.D. students about this issue...

Same boat here, and I just want to shout out to ask for advice from previous applicants/current Ph.D. students about this issue...

Academics are the worst when it comes to being punctual and sticking to deadlines even when and where it's promised, and sometimes it's because it isn't even up to them (the committee didn't meet, the chair has been sick, etc).

So just give it time and pushing them wouldn't probably really help you.

Have been following both gradcafe and urch for Marketing updates. I see that there are very few updates.

Is this the norm every year? I might be wrong, but it seems like there are more leeches than seeds (using the torrent terminology).

To all those people who are just seeking the information and not posting their calls/offers - just a request from my side - if you are using these forums/community, please give back to the community as well.

Let the Network effects kick in. Happy Information Sharing :)

Have been following both gradcafe and urch for Marketing updates. I see that there are very few updates.

Is this the norm every year? I might be wrong, but it seems like there are more leeches than seeds (using the torrent terminology).

To all those people who are just seeking the information and not posting their calls/offers - just a request from my side - if you are using these forums/community, please give back to the community as well.

Well spoken. I try to post all of my admissions information ASAP. I, too, have seen very little on these forums and others regarding marketing admissions specifically. I know it is still early, but it seems there should be more out there.

• Like 1

I got an interview request from Rochester today asking for an interview tomorrow. It seemed a little less structured than my previous interview where I was asked to choose a time slot. IN addition I am being interviewed by one faculty member in particular. I was wondering if this difference in interview process is normal?

I got an interview request from Rochester today asking for an interview tomorrow. It seemed a little less structured than my previous interview where I was asked to choose a time slot. IN addition I am being interviewed by one faculty member in particular. I was wondering if this difference in interview process is normal?

I have had interview requests that asked me to pick a time and requests that assigned me a time. I don't think it is indicative of anything. It may be possible that programs that assign you a time interview more people; it may also be possible that professors in those programs just have a really tight schedule that week. Don't overthink about it.

Yeah, it's normal, more "leeches than seeds" as you said.

Actually, here at Urch and for Marketing, it is much better this year. Last year it was mostly the veteran XanthusARES helping me, and I was often wondering "where are the others from Marketing?"

I'm happy to see more Marketing applicants this year, some with great results. I agree that networking and information sharing is important, not only now but also in the future. We may even meet each other during some conference, or write papers together in the future, right?

The only constant in this world is inconsistency. This seems about right. Each school has idiosyncrasies that literally change from year to year depending on who's on the committee. So, in short, this is perfectly normal, it is completely abnormal too. Good luck with the interviews.

The only constant in this world is inconsistency. This seems about right. Each school has idiosyncrasies that literally change from year to year depending on who's on the committee. So, in short, this is perfectly normal, it is completely abnormal too. Good luck with the interviews.

Thanks. I felt this one went really well. I'm hoping for the best.

Just a quick question, if I didn't get any interview from a certain school, but the school has already given out offers. Is that means a rejection letter on the way?

Maybe. I mean the short answer is that yes if the school has given out offers for your concentration then you did not get accepted yet. But a lot happens with schools. Even if they made offers if no one accepts their offers they will have those spaces available and may move down the list. So you shouldn't turn down an offer from another school because you may get an offer from this school, but if you don't have any offers yet I would say you still have a shot, albeit a pretty small shot.

Basically my advice is to assume that you are rejected, but keep the tiniest amount of hope that things will change. It's always possible and it does happen. Good luck!

A small question. For Marketing PhD, do they usually send out interviews for CB and Quant together? I'm a CB applicant. So if I see quant interview reported for one school but receive nothing myself, does that mean I could already cross out that school from my list? :sorrow:

Maybe. I mean the short answer is that yes if the school has given out offers for your concentration then you did not get accepted yet. But a lot happens with schools. Even if they made offers if no one accepts their offers they will have those spaces available and may move down the list. So you shouldn't turn down an offer from another school because you may get an offer from this school, but if you don't have any offers yet I would say you still have a shot, albeit a pretty small shot.

Basically my advice is to assume that you are rejected, but keep the tiniest amount of hope that things will change. It's always possible and it does happen. Good luck!

Thank you !!! Try to be patient during this process.

A small question. For Marketing PhD, do they usually send out interviews for CB and Quant together? I'm a CB applicant. So if I see quant interview reported for one school but receive nothing myself, does that mean I could already cross out that school from my list? :sorrow:

This is school specific. Some schools send them all out together. Others send them separately. Basically you can't really tell anything until you have a firm rejection in your hand.

Don't let age deter you from applying to PhD programs. It is not the all deciding factor at most schools. I was probably the oldest applicant here in the forum last year and received several offers. I am sure some schools will reject you because of your age but it is not the most important number on your application. I am serious!

We will see how hard it will be for me to find a job after I graduate. One of our graduating students this year was 42 at graduation and had no problems finding a job. I will be a few years older when I am done.... we shall see.....

An HBS marketing(Behavioral) professor told me I should hear from their office one way or other soon. I had some informal discussion with him (about specific research questions, ideas, etc.) through email. But I assume it should be a bad news since I did not receive a formal interview :( Any idea?

Don't let age deter you from applying to PhD programs. It is not the all deciding factor at most schools. I was probably the oldest applicant here in the forum last year and received several offers. I am sure some schools will reject you because of your age but it is not the most important number on your application. I am serious!

We will see how hard it will be for me to find a job after I graduate. One of our graduating students this year was 42 at graduation and had no problems finding a job. I will be a few years older when I am done.... we shall see.....

I didn't mean that I was an older candidate (I am in my 20s). I was asking for the forum posters who have been through the process before and are currently in a PhD Program what was your application/interview rate