Urch Forums

CVS or Walgreens?

ninah

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your next step is to wait for FPGEE certificate. You can call nabp to make sure that it is being processed. While you are waiting, you should start looking for internship positions so that once you receive certificate you can go ahead and apply for internship licence with Pharmacy Board in your country. I think the proceedure is different from state to state so you should go to the site of your state's Pharmacy Board and look up what you have to do to apply for internship. Congratulations and good luck.

Wow! I just read all these messages today. I had an interview w one of the chains mentioned above and I was told to apply as a tech w starting pay of $9.50/hr, will go up to $9.85/hour after 6 months of training as a tech then after my required intern hours, I will be paid 26.25/hr if i want to work beyond my intern hours. once i pass NAPLEX, i will be 52.50. What state offered the 27/hr? Mine is NC.

Hi guys,

I'm in trouble-I received the FPGEC and have to apply for Intern License in the CA board of Pharmacy. But, since I'm on TD visa status-I don't have a SSN and I need that for filling out the form. I talked with both the board as well as SSN office. But, they say that's the rule.

Wanted to know if someone has a reply to that-will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi

CVS or Walgreens.. Good question and many answers.

For internship the only thing matters is how good Rph at the location you are working at and how much they are helping you to learna nd teach pharmacy related things.

Being a pharmacist as someone mentioned Walmart and few other chains would a better choice as I thing good help,same pay and less traffic so less stressful.** I guess Walmart offers better benefits too ** But I think little too difficult to get oppurtunity in walmart atleast in North NJ I know.

CVS -- High volume and they expect a lot from pharmacist with less help which really makes day stressful.I heared situations are better at Walgreens so I would personally choose to be a pharmacist at walgreens if I have option between CVS and walgreens.

Hi,

Heartly congrats..i am keen to know which state areyou going to practice your internship?.

With personal experience i will go with Walgreens as there will be minimal help at CVS once you are a pharmacist ofcourse no breaks at all.

thxs

I have a very rewarding day today both with Walmart and Riteaid as far as pay is concerned. Walmart offered 2/3 of a RPh pay while Riteaid is $30-32/hr. Walmart though guarantees me the position if I take the one about 35-40 mins away from where I live but will work out with me for some stores nearer while Rite Aid gives me one within my area. Good thing I didn't rush for $9.50 with CVS.

Both these stores offer very rewarding benefits and they take care of their employees, as far as I've heard from employees I've talked to.

For all in the hunt, good luck to you.

• 1 month later...

Almost all the chains I've contacted (RiteAid, Walmart, CVS, etc...) responded that they have NO positions for interns in the LA area. Maybe because I just e-mailes them ? Any suggestions ??

The only interview I've got is with Ralphs (tomorrow) and I would truly appreciate any tips to how can I prepare for it ?

What questions should I expect ?

THANK YOU !

I have a very rewarding day today both with Walmart and Riteaid as far as pay is concerned. Walmart offered 2/3 of a RPh pay while Riteaid is $30-32/hr. Walmart though guarantees me the position if I take the one about 35-40 mins away from where I live but will work out with me for some stores nearer while Rite Aid gives me one within my area. Good thing I didn't rush for $9.50 with CVS.

Both these stores offer very rewarding benefits and they take care of their employees, as far as I've heard from employees I've talked to.

For all in the hunt, good luck to you.

Hi!Hygeian,

You mentioned WalMart offered you 2/3 of a pharmacist pay. How much is that? Which state you are in?

I`m in VA and trying to get started on my internship. Good luch to you!:tup:

Hi Naplex 08. I can't tell you an exact amount however a pharmacist's pay is at least 50+/hr. in that chain in NC. I took Walmart and I don't regret it. As far as conditions in the workplace, I can't ask for anything more. The technicians I work with are great, very helpful and give me full respect. The pharmacists are very nice too. We communicate well by describing cultural differences in practices hence they explain to me fully well what works in the USA.

I wish you good luck in your search.

Hi Naplex 08. I can't tell you an exact amount however a pharmacist's pay is at least 50+/hr. in that chain in NC. I took Walmart and I don't regret it. As far as conditions in the workplace, I can't ask for anything more. The technicians I work with are great, very helpful and give me full respect. The pharmacists are very nice too. We communicate well by describing cultural differences in practices hence they explain to me fully well what works in the USA.

I wish you good luck in your search.

Thank you so much! I`m still waiting on the final offer from WalMart and here I get 2/3 of $57 which is about $38/hr. How much do they pay you? did you have to sign a contract for term?

Thanks! Which state are you doing your internship? I am in VA

I'm very happy for you, Naplex08. I'm in NC and my pay is just a few cents lower than $38. I did not sign a contract. The DM is simply convincing me that if I get trained at Walmart, why will I want to go somewhere else to get trained again. Good luck and I hope you'll get a store with nice employees like mine.

I'm very happy for you, Naplex08. I'm in NC and my pay is just a few cents lower than $38. I did not sign a contract. The DM is simply convincing me that if I get trained at Walmart, why will I want to go somewhere else to get trained again. Good luck and I hope you'll get a store with nice employees like mine.

Thank you very much hygeian! God bless you!

Not really. CVS offered me $7.85 and I'm a resident. My offer for Rite Aid was $30-32 according to the DM but the person doing the job offer told me it's $20. I was about to negotiate when Walmart offered me something higher so I did not bother to do so. If you have other offers, I suggest you wait then negotiate. $23 is pretty decent and Rite Aid is a good company, however, it also depends which state you will be because you also have to consider the cost of living. There's no standard as to pay rates. In my opinion, they raise their offer when the demand goes high. It also depends upon the growth of the store, the location and the personality of the DM hiring in a particular area.

Good luck to you.

Thanks, hygeian, that's very insightful. :)

Do companies still offer internships at this point, though, where H1B filing has already started? Because if they are, maybe trying out what others can offer would be a good idea for those who haven't started their internships yet, like me.

For those who were offered high rates for internship-

Was previous work experience (either as a Pharmacy tech. here or pharmacy experience from your home country or any other work experience) a vital factor in getting the offers from chain pharmacies with high pay rates.

Also is there anyone among you who got an internship position without any previous pharmacy experience. Please answer me.