Urch Forums

2019 PhD Applicant Sweat Thread

tm_associate

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for current students: when should we expect to hear back from CB/OB programs?

Grad cafe indicates next week. Is it always third week of January?

Also, Does Haas CB program interview students? I don't see any interviews on Grad Cafe.

For CB you'll hear between now and the end of March. Don't be discouraged if you don't hear anything for a while, there are a lot of applications to get through and each school does things differently. But yes to answer your question, things normally start happening around the second or third week of January once faculty get back from break and have a chance to read some applications. I have no idea about Haas.

For CB you'll hear between now and the end of March. Don't be discouraged if you don't hear anything for a while, there are a lot of applications to get through and each school does things differently. But yes to answer your question, things normally start happening around the second or third week of January once faculty get back from break and have a chance to read some applications. I have no idea about Haas.

Thanks for the prompt response.

The wait sucks!

I see on gradcafe that UBC Marketing CB has sent out two interview invites today... I think one of them is fake because it says 'S19' and, as far as I know, UBC only have fall entries. But I am so scared if this means that this is the start of rejection letters : ( I'm surprised that UBC sent out interviews so early though. Their deadline was not until Dec. 31st.

I see on gradcafe that UBC Marketing CB has sent out two interview invites today... I think one of them is fake because it says 'S19' and, as far as I know, UBC only have fall entries. But I am so scared if this means that this is the start of rejection letters : ( I'm surprised that UBC sent out interviews so early though. Their deadline was not until Dec. 31st.

do u know anyone else who received news from any other CB programs?

Someone in Gradcafe stated that s/he just finished his/her interview with Haas, Management & Organizations (M&O) and their understanding is that M&O department will finish interviewing the shortlisted applicants this week and will send decisions/next steps next week. (e.g. statement is that the interview includes a paper critique and behavioral questions)

Isn't it too early for them to be in this stage, even though the application deadline was December 3?

Looks like Harvard and Haas have moved as well

I have a face-to-face interview instead of a Skype interview for a Marketing CB program. What do I wear and how do I prepare?

Did anyone have personal experiences with face-to-face interviews? How did that go?

First of all, congrats! That's a big deal.

Wear a suit and prepare the same way you would prepare for a Skype interview. If it's all day it will likely be individual sessions, but you'll be answering the same questions each time. Just prepare to be nice, friendly and able to talk about what you want to do in a PhD program. Honestly that's kind of all they are looking for. The more competent and collegial you sound, the better.

Wear a suit and prepare the same way you would prepare for a Skype interview. If it's all day it will likely be individual sessions, but you'll be answering the same questions each time. Just prepare to be nice, friendly and able to talk about what you want to do in a PhD program. Honestly that's kind of all they are looking for. The more competent and collegial you sound, the better.

Thank you for the advice!

Do you know around what percentage of the applicants North American universities typically shortlist for the interview?

Thank you for the advice!!

Also, do you know around how many people North American universities shortlist for the interview?

thank you for the advice!

do you know around how many applicants North American Universities shortlist for interview for Business PhD programs?

thank you for the advice!

do you know around how many applicants North American Universities shortlist for interview for Business PhD programs?

It's school specific to be sure, but on average a school will interview about 2X the number of applicants that they want to accept in any given year. So if they want to bring in 2 students they will normally interview 4.

I cannot be more clear, though, that this is an average. I've seen schools interview 5 people and bring them all in. I've also seen schools interview 5 people and make no offers. The best thing that I can tell you is that if you have an interview you are more likely to get an offer than someone who does not have an interview. Just work hard, be friendly, do your best and you will get in somewhere.

It's school specific to be sure, but on average a school will interview about 2X the number of applicants that they want to accept in any given year. So if they want to bring in 2 students they will normally interview 4.

I cannot be more clear, though, that this is an average. I've seen schools interview 5 people and bring them all in. I've also seen schools interview 5 people and make no offers. The best thing that I can tell you is that if you have an interview you are more likely to get an offer than someone who does not have an interview. Just work hard, be friendly, do your best and you will get in somewhere.

thanks for the answer!

Checking in for accounting. Has anyone received interview invites from the schools they applied?

Also, how typical for schools to send out interview invites before the deadline? Just wondering since someone on gradcafe had interview from OSU before the school's deadline.