Urch Forums

2019 Admission Sweat Thread

tm_member

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it okay if I accept an offer tomorow and then reject it after April 15? There is a fair chance that the waitlist will clear after April 15. Will faculty at the school that I would be rejecting get mad?

You will have to request a release from the school you accepted at. They will very likely give it without any hard feelings.

Are you sure? My academic advisor and Phds I know said that it is regarded as really bad etiquette and if you want to stay in academic field it is a kind of academic suicide. If it is masters it does not matter but in Phd level, they will release their offers only if you have really serious problem (like family problem). That's what I know

Are you sure? My academic advisor and Phds I know said that it is regarded as really bad etiquette and if you want to stay in academic field it is a kind of academic suicide. If it is masters it does not matter but in Phd level, they will release their offers only if you have really serious problem (like family problem). That's what I know

There are many here who disagree with the statement that it is "academic suicide." I can't imagine every program being able to make all offers on or before April 15, due to the deadline for students. The occurrence is probably very uncommon.

I make it clear to applicants that I will provide a release on request. With no hard feelings.

My advisors have mixed opinions about this. No one has told me that it's an academic suicide, but, that it's not recomendable (since I want a TT job after the PhD).

In your opinion, when accepting my offer (from Michigan), should I tell them that I am still waiting an answer from other school? The problem is that this school is not monotonically better than Michigan (Northwestern), so I don't know how they are going to take it.

Thank you!

My advisors have mixed opinions about this. No one has told me that it's an academic suicide, but, that it's not recomendable (since I want a TT job after the PhD).

In your opinion, when accepting my offer (from Michigan), should I tell them that I am still waiting an answer from other school? The problem is that this school is not monotonically better than Michigan (Northwestern), so I don't know how they are going to take it.

Thank you!

I have a solution. Hope you got the offer from Northwestern, so that I can go Michigan (waitlisted guy here) :)

I know what active professors on this forum (startz, in particular) say fairly often. I also know that professors are typically intelligent, reasonable individuals that have been through the PhD process themselves, and I'd hope they are able to not be offended that you won't mortgage your future for the sake of politeness and a fairly arbitrary deadline that other schools have not been able to stick to. You have to have faith that in the end you are dealing with (mostly) rational individuals and not just some monolithic, faceless Department.

Thank you!

The important thing is that you tell Northwestern that you will accept them over Michigan...assuming you are 100% sure that will happen. You can also ask Northwestern whether they have more information about the likelihood of an acceptance.

Hard to say what you should tell Michigan if the odds of an acceptance from Northwestern are low. Last year one applicant we had admitted told me he was on the wait list for much higher ranked school. I told him that he was welcome to accept our offer and that we'd be happy to give him a release if he was later accepted. He did end up at the other school--with our best wishes. (Can't guarantee that all schools feel the same of course.)

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone haven’t heard back from Maryland? Still waitlisted and don’t know what should I expect.

I would be very surprised if Maryland hadn't filled up their cohort at this point, this far after the April 15th deadline. I don't think any programs are still making offers for the fall (though I could be wrong about that )

• 4 weeks later...