Urch Forums

2019 Admission Sweat Thread

tm_member

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your suggestion. That was my first post, and I do not have contacts/followers/friends in the forums here, nor am I part of any users' network-group here. So I assumed chances of others opening my standalone post were low, & I think I saw even those not part of the current cycle replying to posts here (posts about decision timelines as well as school reputation & school selection). There was also discussion on (de)merits of Canadian big 4 programs here, regarding which one to choose finally. Also, I'm afraid these threads/discussion is reserved for people from the western world, is it? I only hoped that out of so many knowledgeable people here, someone may kindly provide me their advice / valuable insights. Sorry for the trouble. Nevertheless, thank you again :)

I wouldn't worry about not knowing anyone on the forum; for the most part those who stick around here do so to be helpful to anyone they can help. Making a standalone post with an informative title will allow people who think they can help to drop in and offer what advice they can.

While it is probably true that a large majority of people here know mostly about western programs, discussion is certainly not reserved for westerners! Don't hesitate to make a standalone post and see if you can get some useful info out of it.

I've noticed quite a few people have already been interviewed and few others got rejected by CM. I still havent heard anything from that. Does it mean Im on wL?

I am in the same situation and I think it means we will be rejected later. Their admission system is a complex one due to preferences of choosing among 3 program. They admit very very low number of student. In my view,Those interviewed includes waitlisted candidates as well.

Is anyone here is an international student who got accepted into UofT or UBC PhD programs in Canada? I've seen one acceptance to UofT PhD in GC and zero acceptances to UBC PhD.

I'm trying to figure out my chances.

I got into both, but I've already declined my offer from UBC. I thought I posted in GC when I got the UBC offer.

Is there anyone who knows about waitlist of UVA? I heard that there are over 80 ppl on the wl and I don't understand why UVA holds so many applicants.

Plus I would like to ask if there is anyone who got off WL. If there is someone, would you please say when you are informed? I am on the WL too and it drives me crazy.

Finally, if someone plans to decline UVA offer, please do so as soon as possible. You can save my life! thanks

Hello. If any of you plan on declining offers from Cornell, Boston College, or Michigan State, would request you to do so as soon as realistically possible. Would really help those of us on the waitlists. Thanks!

One unspoken rule around the forum is that these kind of posts are not welcome. Let people do their thing in their own time and have some patience.

If I see it becoming common, I'll start deleting these posts and blocking the posters.

In any case, as I've explained tirelessly over the past 8 years, someone declining their offer is unlikely to make a difference. Adcoms expect people to decline, they only go to the waitlist when there are more "declines" than expected.