Urch Forums

2023 Sweat Thread

Erin

19 hours ago, AlexM said:

Can someone confirm University Of Michigan (Ann Arbor) acceptance?

Just wondering on the UMich admits on gradcafe - it looks like the overwhelming majority are 'international'. Any idea on whether they released international admits first and haven't released domestic American admits yet?

The answer is definitely no. If you are the admission office, you don’t have to wait for couple days to release rejections if all the acceptances are released. There must be a second wave acceptance released with rejections. They might be evaluating the enrollment based on first wave situation. Don’t be too anxious. Relax and wait for that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Any idea of how many overall t20 spots go to international vs domestic? Also, do you think if you aren't accepted in initial round of acceptances, you are essentially rejected?

About two-thirds of econ PhDs go to international students, which doesn't exactly answer the question but is probably close. https://www.aeaweb.org/content/file?id=16201.

Many schools have a waitlist, often sending out a few more acceptances quite late in the process.

Edited by startz
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, FlopryEmmy said:

The answer is definitely no. If you are the admission office, you don’t have to wait for couple days to release rejections if all the acceptances are released. There must be a second wave acceptance released with rejections. They might be evaluating the enrollment based on first wave situation. Don’t be too anxious. Relax and wait for that.

I agree with your sentiment generally (no need to be anxious) but would like to also point out that unfortunately some schools do first release all acceptances and for some reason release the rejections later on, without any additional acceptances or waitlists. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mongoose said:

It's demoralizing how competitive this field is. Looking at Grad Cafe's stats on rejections and waitlists, it seems even doing great at a masters and doing a predoc may not be enough. Do you think it's the institutions from which applicants are coming or LORs that makes the difference, over test scores and GPA? Or do you think it's just luck?

It’s definitely not luck! For better or for worse, econ PhD admissions compensate those who realized they wanted to do academia early. These people took the right classes (Real Analysis, linear algebra, advanced micro,…), started talking with professors early, took care of their GPA and avoided super hard classes where is difficult to do well (phd micro). In other words, they knew how to play the "game". They picked up stata early and was easier for them to find a great predoc.

That being said, conditional of having a good GPA, I think the consensus is that LORs are the most important factor. That is why predocs, for most people, are better than paying 30k to do a masters at LSE. But not all predocs are created equal, the professors need to be somewhat recognized in their field and, more importantly, need to have recommended students in the past.

That being said, if you were rejected by Michigan, don’t lose hope! This is one of the first offers to come, and there is still plenty of programs that could offer you a spot! For example, Paul Goldsmith-Pinkham (prof at Yale SOM) recently tweeted that he was rejected by Michigan, MIT, Harvard, Yale, Penn, Booth,… and got accepted at Columbia, HBS, and Wisconsin.

• Like 2

I see that many applicants in gradcafe have posted that they "did not submit GRE" for the UMichigan-Ann Arbor application, as if it was optional. However in the website Michigan states that "Starting with the 2022-2023 Admission season, the GRE will no longer be accepted and therefore does not need to be submitted." Am I missing something here?

On 1/23/2023 at 12:05 AM, tenerife said:

Does any of you happen to know what the interview was like for the MECS program at Kellogg in past years? I haven't heard anything from them, so please don't fret. Just curious.

On 1/23/2023 at 12:24 AM, mrapp said:

I have some related questions… Does MECS interview normally? And do you know when do them normally send out results? (And how would you rank the quality of the MECS program compared to Econ programs)

Judging from GC results from previous years, I think MECS interviews normally, but there seem to be people who got the offer without an interview. Curious about the answers to other questions from mrapp as well.

38 minutes ago, Devykl said:

Gradcafe is full of trolls... Wouldn't trust a single message like this. People have been waiting for an update since Jan 13 so intensely that there would be many more updates if it was out

Yeah, you're right, just figured I'd check. Guess I am one of those people waiting for an update so intensely...

2 hours ago, bigdawg said:

Accepted into Ohio State, was very excited, then saw on GC someone claiming they accidentally sent everyone an acceptance? Is that even possible? Is anyone else in a similar position?

According to my friend's information, some got rejection, so I think your acceptance is true,don't worry! Also write to them maybe. Cong!

• Like 2

• Erin unpinned this topic