Urch Forums

2023 Sweat Thread

Erin

1 hour ago, Catherine said:

can anyone confirm rutgers? does it mean rej if my status is still pending?

I have not heard from Rutgers. Portal says pending. Emailed Miss Zullinger last week and she said decision would come by mid February. A little bit nervous rn lol. 

Edited by Jacky Hua

12 minutes ago, Mongoose said:

Does anyone know if decisions ever come out on portals before emails? Just wondering how much I should be neurotically, continuously, checking the portals, along with GC and here!

I think this is school dependent. I usually check GC from the previous year(s) and look for a 'had no email checked portal.' comment

• Thanks 1

My apologies that this is not something directly related to admissions.
But, does anyone know if the pay raise for UC schools will be in effect for the 2023-24 academic year?

The articles I've read mentioned that it will be raised "by" Oct. 1 2024, so I was wondering if the pay would remain the same for the 2023-24 academic year and then be raised starting 2024-25 academic year.

29 minutes ago, econApp2018 said:

My apologies that this is not something directly related to admissions.
But, does anyone know if the pay raise for UC schools will be in effect for the 2023-24 academic year?

The articles I've read mentioned that it will be raised "by" Oct. 1 2024, so I was wondering if the pay would remain the same for the 2023-24 academic year and then be raised starting 2024-25 academic year.

Pay raise already on the way- an increase is already happening within 90 days of the ratification, and more would come by Sep/Oct 2024. And for admissions, you should expect them to calculate total future pays. Unrelated to your questions, can also share what I hear from LA. Talked to a professor and they have not heard anything about cutting admission due to the pay raise. Another professor mentioned that it could depend on how job market candidates in the program do in this recruiting cycle.

5 minutes ago, ATRS said:

Pay raise already on the way- an increase is already happening within 90 days of the ratification, and more would come by Sep/Oct 2024. And for admissions, you should expect them to calculate total future pays. Unrelated to your questions, can also share what I hear from LA. Talked to a professor and they have not heard anything about cutting admission due to the pay raise. Another professor mentioned that it could depend on how job market candidates in the program do in this recruiting cycle.

Thanks for your insight! Wow, so you are expecting the full pay raise (e.g. minimum $34,000 for 9 months) to start this fall?
By "And for admissions, you should expect them to calculate total future pays", do you mean that the raised funding details will be included in the funding package of the acceptance offer?

That is pretty interesting to hear that they are not cutting admission, hopefully that is the case across all campuses. 

2 minutes ago, econApp2018 said:

Thanks for your insight! Wow, so you are expecting the full pay raise (e.g. minimum $34,000 for 9 months) to start this fall?
By "And for admissions, you should expect them to calculate total future pays", do you mean that the raised funding details will be included in the funding package of the acceptance offer?

That is pretty interesting to hear that they are not cutting admission, hopefully that is the case across all campuses. 

No, I'm just saying it would be more expensive to get an TA for a course in the future. The department would need to consider that. For detailed pay raise agenda:

In October 2023, a teaching assistant will make $3,474/month, a teaching associate will make $3,977/month, and a teaching fellow will make $4,123/month.

In October 2024, a teaching assistant will make $4,055/month, a teaching associate will make $4,643/month, and a teaching fellow will make $4,813/month.

9 minutes ago, ATRS said:

No, I'm just saying it would be more expensive to get an TA for a course in the future. The department would need to consider that. For detailed pay raise agenda:

In October 2023, a teaching assistant will make $3,474/month, a teaching associate will make $3,977/month, and a teaching fellow will make $4,123/month.

In October 2024, a teaching assistant will make $4,055/month, a teaching associate will make $4,643/month, and a teaching fellow will make $4,813/month.

Gotcha! Thanks again!

4 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Does anyone know if decisions ever come out on portals before emails? Just wondering how much I should be neurotically, continuously, checking the portals, along with GC and here!

You should definitely not do this, mostly for your own sanity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, unarmedwarrior said:

Don't know. I just saw a new post on GC informing acceptance at Zurich. They may be releasing results in multiple rounds, then...

Received an unfunded offer from Zurich two years ago. According to what they said, some people received funded offers directly, others have to be interviewed with faculties to determine funding status. Not sure if they do the same this year though: )

• Sad 1

I know people have mentioned some schools taking longer than usual, but based on the releases people received yesterday (Michigan State, Emory, Georgetown, Minnesota, Zurich, Wisconsin (day before yesterday)), would it be reasonable to conclude schools are tending towards releasing earlier than last year? (Other than UC schools) 

I got an email from Minnesota:

The Graduate Admissions Committee for the Economics PhD program has completed its review for admission to the Fall 2023 term. We received many strong applications from qualified applicants and after a careful review of your materials, you have been selected as an alternate for admission.

At this time it is not possible to know how many applicants from the waitlist will be admitted. If you have questions about your status or the timeline for receiving a final decision, please contact the program directly.

Does it mean I am waitlisted?

4 minutes ago, Goerge said:

The Graduate Admissions Committee for the Economics PhD program has completed its review for admission to the Fall 2023 term. We received many strong applications from qualified applicants and after a careful review of your materials, you have been selected as an alternate for admission.

At this time it is not possible to know how many applicants from the waitlist will be admitted. If you have questions about your status or the timeline for receiving a final decision, please contact the program directly.

I believe so. And it seems like Minnesota waitlisted dozens of people : (

1 minute ago, Budewww said:

Yes I did. Yesterday they also sent me a separate email saying I'm waitlisted.

I think they sent a ton of waitlists this year, though it also seems like they don't let out acceptances in batches, wish there were more data on the acceptance rate of waitlisted candidates 

1 minute ago, bigdawg said:

I think they sent a ton of waitlists this year, though it also seems like they don't let out acceptances in batches, wish there were more data on the acceptance rate of waitlisted candidates 

I heard that being invited to their visit day signals higher chance of admission. Maybe this info will come later, not sure: )

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Goerge said:

What does it mean the commitee has finished the review. Does it mean if I did not get anything yestersday I should wait for a letter of rejection soon? I am anxious now. 

• Erin unpinned this topic