Urch Forums

Vset4-17

CTG1983

Although the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales have increased dramatically, its sales at restaurants open for more than a year have declined.

• the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales have increased dramatically, its
  • the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales increased dramatically, its
  • many new restaurants have recently been opened across the country and its sales increased dramatically, the restaurant company’s
  • having recently added many new restaurants across the country and with its sales increasing dramatically, the restaurant company’s
  • recently adding many new restaurants across the country and having its sales increase dramatically, the restaurant company’s

In B, increase should not be in simple past, it should be in present perfect to make parallelism with "have declined" at the end of the sentence

A is the best (although I find "its" a little bit ambiguous since we also have "country" in the phrase)

I have a confusion. When "recently" is used, the tense should be a past tense, not past perfect. It should be more like "Although the restaurant company recently added ..." than "Although the restaurant company has recently added..."

I tend to pick E. Let me know if I am wrong.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Like ShalomFang I would appreciate an explanation why not D.

I think in A the pronoun "its" after " country" has not one clear reference. It could either refer to the country's sales or to the company's sales.

On the contary D doesn't have this ambiguity. Does anyone knows what is wrong with D?

Andres,

the modifying phrase should modify a NOUN/PRONOUN but in option D, it tries to modify the possessive form of it(the restaurant company’s) - i think this is not correct.

Same is the case with option C & E. so C, D & E are ruled out.

Hence the correct answer should be between A & B.

Between A & B, B doesn't have the correct verb form(its sales increased).

In the absense of option A, we may have considered that (its sales increased) indeed is in present perfect with the missing implied word(have).

So given the options as it stands now, A is the best choice.

A is best. B has tense problem..

Although the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales have increased dramatically, its sales at restaurants open for more than a year have declined.

• the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales have increased dramatically, its
  • the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales increased dramatically, its
  • many new restaurants have recently been opened across the country and its sales increased dramatically, the restaurant company’s
  • having recently added many new restaurants across the country and with its sales increasing dramatically, the restaurant company’s
  • recently adding many new restaurants across the country and having its sales increase dramatically, the restaurant company’s