Urch Forums

740 (47q, 44v)

MikeJung

my bad for not explaing my score history. =)

490 and 540 were my first and second Powerprep test score respectively.

And i did about 10+ times of GMATPREP.

next ones gonna be my final/third attempt to see if i can get higher for Harvard R3 b/c some insider said that Harvard R3 is diff. from others so im

giving my final shot for my dream school. i know that GMAT is just one factor, and only 40 points doesnt make that much difference but hey

i just need to prove myself that i can ace this BS.

my goal before final Gday is to do at least about 20+(i would see many repeats but lots of new qs as well- make sure u do a lot, i mean A LOT of

GMATPREPs too but in the mean time, dont let ur GP score discourage your

confidence)

oops forgot to mention... THANK YOU, Erin.

i dont know u in person but if i visit the bay area(Walnut Creek=my 2nd hometown), i would def get a chance to stop by Testmagic to say hi or get u some drink and stuff.

thank you again for creating awesome site.

• 4 weeks later...

THANK YOU, TBAY.

I am still reviewing all the math Qs i collected from Gprep and Q forum since my math was only 47 so i gotta bump it up to at least 49 to hit the 8 mark.

I havent done anything much for V since i was ok. i only hope that i havent got rusty yet. dude honestly yall cant even imagine how much i have dedicated to this sh!t and i still am. but its all good. my 9 month journeys now coming to an end in 2 n 1/2 hours and it would be completely done.

I have fought for anything and everything in life whether its good or bad and

i havent failed and I wont.

we will see what i can do. G'night folks.

just got my AWA score 5.5

my profile

27 yr old Korean male working at a mid-sized diversified finance industry.

2 yrs of WE(+4yrs in military)

my final attempt was ended with Q49 V41, total 730 which is 10 points lower than the previous result. I was mad at first but had to admit that there s nothing i can do with it.

I would like to thank Asshu_79, TBAY and many others. Aashu_79, without ur help and guidance, I could not have earned 49 on math. I THANK YOU. TBAY, thanks for ur constant support and great math Qs. Thank you very much.

My GMAT prep started in april 2006 with some prep course(I chose not to list the name of the institution) which was a total waste. I stopped going there and bought a princeton reivew and many other books available at the bookstore(Kaplan this Kaplan that) which later I found them useless too. I was hopeless and felt that 700 is something far out there. Meanwhile, i was serching for some GMAT forums and ran into Testmagic, scoretop and many others. I registered right away and downloaded powerprep software. I wanted to give it a shot to see where I stand. I got 490. I was in the middle of nowhere with no idea how to study for GMAT.

>

Ordered OG11, OG verbal, OG Quant, Mahanttan SC, and LSAT next 10+s from amazon and went thru everything except LAST in 2 weeks.

Marked every questions i got wrong on an extra sheet of paper attached to the front page so that I could jump right on them everytime I got a chance to.

Quant sections from OGs are great in my humble opinion but Verbal was too easy. I needed some more hardcore as twinsplitter suggested. so I started focusing on LSAT Verbal questions. at the same time, i read WSJ and economist everyday.

Joined Yahoo GMAT group. there are a lot of great resouces and I downloaded and saved everything in my laptop from there. Especially GMAT sets are by far one of the most valuable resources we can ever get. you must have them.

Some of the materials from yahoo group esp. manhattan Quant problems are too hard and are designed that I have to spend more than 3-4 mins to solve. I tried just a few of math questions and found that they are not reflective so threw them all away. such a waste! dont waste your time on Manhattan math qs.

sorry i gotta go.

to be continued.

After done with OGs and a little bit of random questions from here and there,

I was more confident and wanted to give another powerprep. I hoped to get at least 650. Quant was fairly easy and I managed to solve everything with no problem(I saw many repeats from OGs and TM which made me more confident) and verbal was just a cakewalk.

click click click 540 popped up. i couldnt believe and say sh!t for a minute and cursed out loud. I stood up and looked out the window thinking if I should stop doing this. I was standing there for like an hr looking down cars and people passing and walking by from the 11th floor.

I was extremely busy with work as i had to travel frequently to east coast to set up another branch office and didnt have much time to study. well i didnt wanted to frankly at least for a month or so.

Time went by quickly.

In september, I decided to take the real one, and scheduled right away.

To be continued. sorry gotta get my work done on time.

• 2 weeks later...

mike did you complete the gmat sets? if so how do you compare the real gmat quant and verbal difficulty to the sets. I have completed 1-6 so far.

I have been preparing for 3 weeks now

Gmatprep 1 700

powerprep 1 710

I am taking the test in may, just dont know where I stand...like you I have always had to bust my *** for everything...

anything you could recommend would be great....

• 1 month later...

Mike,

I am sorry that you couldn¸t reach 780.

This score requires making just few mistakes in 37+41 questions, which is really tough.

We are getting back to the question of all questions:

HOW TO PREPARE FOR SCORING 800???

Is it a matter of pure intelligence? What prep material is at this level (except GPREP)?

Good luck with HBS; 740 is a great score, concentrate on the app!

• 2 weeks later...
After done with OGs and a little bit of random questions from here and there,

I was more confident and wanted to give another powerprep. I hoped to get at least 650. Quant was fairly easy and I managed to solve everything with no problem(I saw many repeats from OGs and TM which made me more confident) and verbal was just a cakewalk.

click click click 540 popped up. i couldnt believe and say sh!t for a minute and cursed out loud. I stood up and looked out the window thinking if I should stop doing this. I was standing there for like an hr looking down cars and people passing and walking by from the 11th floor.

I was extremely busy with work as i had to travel frequently to east coast to set up another branch office and didnt have much time to study. well i didnt wanted to frankly at least for a month or so.

Time went by quickly.

In september, I decided to take the real one, and scheduled right away.

To be continued. sorry gotta get my work done on time.

Seriously, you're the man! I've been on a mission to do well for a long time. A lot of individuals score really well from beginning to end. I love the fact that you were so dedicated, and that it really showed after your 740 score. You should really tell your story to as many people as possible. Great job!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike!!

Hey congrats on your score, im very impress and motivated by your comments on this thread.

I am basically in the same shoes you were, i have taken a Klass but i did not do well, i am only scoring 440 and now i am going to get a tutor and study on my own. I am giving myself 3 more months to take a different approach on studying.

I am new to this site, but i have looking for more on your debrief and have not found anything new, after the 5th page on this thread. is there anything else you post?

I would like some advise on how you practiced to improve your score? My weakness is defenitely math and i am purchasing the kaplan GMAT math workout book. What method did you use to improve on subjects while you studied? Did you study the math first and than move to the verbal or did you mix it up?

I am sorry if this is a lot, but im tyring not too waste another 3 months!! PLEASE HELP, I am aiming for 650,

THANKS THANKS