Sponsored Ad:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Number of 800 scores

Good post? Yes | No

Cool Number of 800 scores

Sponsored Ad:
    I'm just curious....

Does anyone happen to know how many people get an 800 score every year? Some people say there have been only 4 in history, but I know there are more because some colleges (like Stanford) say they've admitted some recently. This isn't exactly important, but it's piqued my interest.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage gmat168's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Number of 800 scores

Quote Originally Posted by dyoh
    I'm just curious....

Does anyone happen to know how many people get an 800 score every year? Some people say there have been only 4 in history, but I know there are more because some colleges (like Stanford) say they've admitted some recently. This isn't exactly important, but it's piqued my interest.
    According to "Shawn Berry," a guy who's gotten an 800:

Sure, I have twice earned a perfect 800 on the GMAT-CAT, a score earned by only 1 person in 13,500 who takes the GMAT.

Good post? Yes | No

800Bob is an 800, he is my teacher and I saw the certificate of the exam.

Q:51; V51

I think I need to spend three more lives studying to get this score......

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage gmat168's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No

That's awfully impressive. The closest I know of is a person who scored 790. I assume 800Bob teaches in Italy?

Good post? Yes | No

Yes he does

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage gmatguy's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No

i knw ... one guy from Delhi, India got a 800

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

another i know of is in bangalore, india

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Hi,
    The IIT Bombay site mentions that as of year 1999, only four people have scored 800 in the world - two from the IITs, one a Robert Mc Namera - a former World Bank Chief - and a Commerce Graduate. I am not sure of this though. Stanford is on record as having rejected 8/8 applicants year before last who scored an 800.

Based on my own testing experience, I would say that an 800 is definitely a possible score; many people fall short because of intrinsic human frailities - I think I definitely came very close but lost my points on time pressure toward the end of each section. Everything in the GMAT finally comes to a Time-Accuracy stand-off.

My goal was a 750+; therefore I started real slow taking my own sweet time to ensure full accuracy on the first 20 questions in each section. The engine being patterned on a damped sinusoidal oscillation necessitates this approach unless of course you have an unusually convoluted and contoured brain - as did Einstein ( mind you Einstein would have aced only the Quant with this approach) - combined with a mastery of English comparable to say Wordsworth/Shelly/Shakepeare (they would of course have fumbled on the Quant).

800 is by all means achievable but anyone rooting for it would have to consider seriously the prospect of falling off the Speed-Accuracy Relation - tempering this aspect is the only real constraint.! Balance on skills, Test Orientation and Pacing Strategy are the KEY, if there is one, for Acing the GMAT.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by vingmat
    Hi,
    The IIT Bombay site mentions that as of year 1999, only four people have scored 800 in the world - two from the IITs, one a Robert Mc Namera - a former World Bank Chief - and a Commerce Graduate. I am not sure of this though. Stanford is on record as having rejected 8/8 applicants year before last who scored an 800.
    honestly, i too was curious of the number of 800 scores. and I too was sticking to the above info that vingmat posted. In 1998, my senior at IITB became the second person in the world to score a perfect 800 and he was interviewed on the televsion "Good Morning India" for becoming the second person in the world to crack 800. so, that was definitely true at that time, given the mass media coverage he was given and the "n" interviews he had given. So, my understanding was that 800 scores are hard to come by. but seeing postings here of stanford rejecting "8 or 80 (read somewhere it is 80??)" 800 applications, i dont know what to believe.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Hi folks,
    I too was seriously confused when I heard this info about 8/8 rejections. I do not know whether this is one of those rumours that circulate around thick and fast - I seriously pray that this is just a rumour - but I did hear this from more than one source, including some who have no reason to bluf.
    Spiderman, please let me know what has come of Abraham Thomas, the IIT-B guy who got that 800. I remember having read on the front page of the Indian Express that he was seriously running around for funds. He belongs to the same state as me and was a student at St.Thomas Residential School. Some of his juniors from that school were very good friends of mine at Engineering college. I could not trace his whereabouts despite some efforts.

Regards,
    vin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-03-2012, 09:48 AM
  2. 07-29-2012, 03:47 PM
  3. 07-22-2012, 07:41 PM
  4. 07-10-2012, 07:30 PM
  5. 06-29-2012, 01:11 AM
  6. 06-28-2012, 02:36 PM

Thread Information