Urch Forums

2020 Sweat Thread

tm_member

Hi guys,

Was here last year. So I just heard some bad news from a friend (ah..Stanford) and realized a lot of you guys might be in a similar situation.

What I learnt from my application is that it is really noisy. I got into one of my dream schools but rejected by almost 80% of my list, a lot of them are much lower ranked. One (early) rejection really means nothing. I know the process and waiting are annoying and stressful, but just try not to refresh gradcafe every 10 mins (which I really did last year). Exercise, have some healthy foods, hang out with friends and try to enjoy it, and enjoy the "camaraderie" you share with other fellow applicants. It maybe hard to do so during the process, but for me retrospectively I think this experience was a good opportunity to contemplate and think about what I want.

Hope you all best luck!

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm somewhat glad to be done with undergrad - no classes or theses to worry about for me!

I've just leaned in a bit at work and increased my (outside of work) alcohol consumption by about 50%. Seems to be working fairly well, though the number of times per day I reload GradCafe would seem to contradict that...

Out of interest when are you all realistically expecting to get the bulk of your responses? I’m working on the idea that I’ll have heard from at least a couple of places by the middle of February (within the next 3 weeks I guess), and from most places by the middle of March... is that similar to your expectations or does anyone know any different?

You can just check gradecafe's post from last year. On gradcafe, search for "economics cornell" if you're looking up places for Cornell, for example. Just look at when the bulk of admits and rejects happen. Cornell for example, had bunch of admits on 7th and 8th Feb last cycle, with the second round of offers coming in mid-March, so it's realistic to expect something similar this year.

Penn State is among the earliest. Most offers came in from 30th Jan to 7th Feb last cycle. UNC Chapel Hill is ~6th/7th Feb.

Chicago-Harris just sent out campus visit invitations.

I got an email from the admissions department but it seems quite generic/not related to the submitted application; "for students interested in either Harris MACRM or PhD".

I also checked the Harris website and it seems that can schedule a campus visit simply if you are interested in the program (the website expressly mentions two of the three dates mentioned on the email (Feb 10, Feb 17, Feb 24).

Deep down I'm hoping the email means something good, but it is likely a blanket email to their mailing list.

Edited by ecps
Found extra information

Do you think that when a certain school starts sending acceptances they send all emails at once? Or is it possible that they send some acceptance emails one day and some others the next day?

I'm also curious whether Caltech admit on gradcafe is real or not.

Good luck to everyone!

I am the CalTech poster on GC. I am pretty sure they are not done sending out acceptances because the professor’s and the admissions coordinator’s emails were highly tailored to my application and they mentioned that official letter will appear on collegeNet later (did not specify the date) so my guess would be these will roll out over next couple of days or weeks, but certainly have not been yet.

According to Grad Cafe, UC Davis has already accepted someone. Interestingly, last year acceptances were made by February 20, ... buuuuut last year seems like someone knew since January 30 that he was admitted because of the application page. I didn't apply to UC Davis, but I'm wondering: 1) Are admissions this year being made faster than prior year? 2) Do some universities post their acceptance before sending an e-mail?

It is probably too early to answer the first the question, and we have few cases. However, it would be interesting to see a change in the acceptance dates.

Good luck to everyone!

According to Grad Cafe, UC Davis has already accepted someone. Interestingly, last year acceptances were made by February 20, ... buuuuut last year seems like someone knew since January 30 that he was admitted because of the application page. I didn't apply to UC Davis, but I'm wondering: 1) Are admissions this year being made faster than prior year? 2) Do some universities post their acceptance before sending an e-mail?

It is probably too early to answer the first the question, and we have few cases. However, it would be interesting to see a change in the acceptance dates.

Good luck to everyone!

Agricultural Econ PhD is a different department than Econ PhD, so admissions timeline is different.

Has anyone heard anything back from the University of Notre Dame? According to gradcafe, there are some applicants received emails from the university but I haven't gotten any emails. It seems that the decisions are made by Notre Dame this year being much more faster than prior year.