Urch Forums

2020 Sweat Thread

tm_member

I haven't seen any admission post regarding Brown on GC. Where dis you see them?

There were a couple earlier this week, I think. You can check previous pages of this thread. But I don't think we should worry too much yet: there were only a couple of admits, even if they are not fake, it's probably only the first wave.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations, that's fantastic! Is that your first choice or are you still waiting to hear from your other options before you decide?

Thanks! Chicago is certainly a decent choice, but I would love to wait for more decisions. I've heard rumors that Chicago's program gives excellent advising to their stars, but the medium/bottom students are barely looked at. So, if I am lucky enough to get in other programs on par with Chicago, with not bad funding, I am inclined to go elsewhere.

Hope we can all have great offers!!!

Congratulations!

Thanks! Chicago is certainly a decent choice, but I would love to wait for more decisions. I've heard rumors that Chicago's program gives excellent advising to their stars, but the medium/bottom students are barely looked at. So, if I am lucky enough to get in other programs on par with Chicago, with not bad funding, I am inclined to go elsewhere.

Hope we can all have great offers!!!

So I just got an email from one school that said the Econ department will recommend to the Graduate School that you be admitted to our PhD program. It also mentions a visitation day that I have to rsvp by Friday. I have two questions:

1. What does it mean to be recommended to be admitted? Is this essentially saying that I have admitted?

2. I am working in northern Illinois several hours from Chicago. I also have very limited PTO, so I don’t think I am really able to visit (this is the first response of 19 programs). How much does this hurt my admissions/funding prospects if I explain my situation to them? How often to full time professionals skip these events and how understanding are these schools? I was thinking of asking to speak with the professor who reached out via phone - how would that be taken?

Are you referring to Agriculture and Resource Economics (ARE) or just Economics? It is quite weird we only see 2-3 straight Economics post?

yeah that's why I was confused. I'm wondering if these were informal emails from professors or maybe two waves of acceptances?

Congrats to people who got into Chicago! I wonder if that's an implicit rejection as I haven't heard anything from the school.

I was thinking about this too. It looks like they also offered Masters acceptances to those who barely missed the cutoff. I'm assuming at this point, as I have not heard anything, that I and anyone else who hasn't heard back are probably in the rejected category. I could be wrong, though.

I was thinking about this too. It looks like they also offered Masters acceptances to those who barely missed the cutoff. I'm assuming at this point, as I have not heard anything, that I and anyone else who hasn't heard back are probably in the rejected category. I could be wrong, though.

Same here as well. I wasn't exactly expecting to get into Chicago anyway, but after the past couple of days I'm expecting that it will definitely be a rejection now.

lol it's like every program I applied to hasn't made decisions yet. this waiting is brutal.

Semi-related, does anyone know if the Rochester acceptances are Econ or Finance Econ? I applied for the regular Econ PhD and my portal says under review.

It might be Econ. Rochester Finance released decisions much earlier.

lol it's like every program I applied to hasn't made decisions yet. this waiting is brutal.

Semi-related, does anyone know if the Rochester acceptances are Econ or Finance Econ? I applied for the regular Econ PhD and my portal says under review.

I just got a Rochester Econ acceptance about 20 minutes ago, so its possible the other ones were for economics as well.