Urch Forums

2020 Sweat Thread

tm_member

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry forgot to quote - I wonder if the Chicago post on GC was removed for spam?

Yes it looks like it, it was the only one so probably a troll. Last year they did start giving out offers from the end of January though so I'm guessing it shouldn't be too long to wait for Chicago. I really want to start hearing back one way or the other now, the suspense is killing me!

Admissions Timeline | Department of Economics

This timeline suggests that decisions are usually out on March 1-15 and I think this has been quite consistent last years.

Good call - you're right these match up well (seems like March 9th was about the earliest last year).

I bet these current posts are trolls. Or could be a couple of people getting in really early (like the Stanford thing). There is still plenty of hope!

I don't understand why some people do troll on grad cafe. What's the point especially if the results are anonymous? Are those guy totally desperate of their lives? Really need those anonymous false results to satisfy their ego smh? Boring and pathetic. The Chicago one really is disrupting. Anyway Good luck to everyone else in their applications.

UC Berkeley third post at GC. Anyone heard something from them? That was my highest bet and I would like to know if its an implicit rejection

Could still be trolls? GC doesn't have any way of screening, I think. I guess you can "report spam" but IDK how they verify that.

Someone also posted results for the Ag Econ program (ARE), so could also be ARE people entering things wrong?

I was one of the Berkeley posters on GC. I received an email notice there was an update to my application, clicked the link, and had a letter of admission from the Vice Provost of Graduate Studies. It seemed to be a school-wide form letter, and said the department would follow up later with details on funding.

The acceptance appeared to me a little unusual, as the update came around 7-ish PST, well after business hours, with no separate acknowledgment from the department or faculty (which to my knowledge is standard). You guys are correct that last year, most UCs released decisions uniformly around March 8th.

Given the low number of posts on GC, (especially relative to the number who posted their acceptances to Stanford, of which I would assume there would be overlap) my intuition is that either this is a mistake, or they might be admitting in batches. At any rate, I would definitely not take the lack of an update to be an implicit rejection.

I was one of the Berkeley posters on GC. I received an email notice there was an update to my application, clicked the link, and had a letter of admission from the Vice Provost of Graduate Studies. It seemed to be a school-wide form letter, and said the department would follow up later with details on funding.

The acceptance appeared to me a little unusual, as the update came around 7-ish PST, well after business hours, with no separate acknowledgment from the department or faculty (which to my knowledge is standard). You guys are correct that last year, most UCs released decisions uniformly around March 8th.

Given the low number of posts on GC, (especially relative to the number who posted their acceptances to Stanford, of which I would assume there would be overlap) my intuition is that either this is a mistake, or they might be admitting in batches. At any rate, I would definitely not take the lack of an update to be an implicit rejection.

The hero we needed. Thanks friend, and congrats!

Congrats! Thank your for your answer.

Huge congrats! Do you mind sharing which letter does your surname start with? I wonder if they are sending out admits in alphabetical order.

Edited by econ2020
forgot to add quote

Received an offer from Berkeley Agricultural and Resource Economics (ARE) yesterday (already posted on GC)! Fully funded and nominated for fellowship. It seems most offers may come next week as they said next week there will be a follow-up email from the first year students advisor. Campus visit for ARE is March 20 (Fri). Good luck, everyone!